Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 April 2018, 13:33
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
...a micromanager first class and second-guessed my every move.
It's sad when one realizes the number of managers who still in the year 2018 see "micromanagement" as a leadership style rather than a disciplinarian style to reign someone back into order or basically move them out.

You probably weren't the only good employee that left there for the same reason -- tired of being treated and questioned like a child.
Old 17 April 2018, 13:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
In the military I was never in charge of more than a division of about 20 sailors. Not too hard to manage.

I left because my direct report was a cunt of highest magnitude who was a micromanager first class and second-guessed my every move.

I think I was married to her!
Old 17 April 2018, 19:52

Ah, thanks for the continued input, all.
I'm enjoying the perspectives.

I read MacSwarthy and Maverick similarly in the process-driven decisionmaking, especially when effects will be widespread and may cause elevated risks elsewhere (maybe within tolerances for me/you but not for the group/company?). In those environments, you may also have reduced ability to monitor variables you see as intermediate goals or effects, less flexibility for timing corrective actions, or you surrender responsibility to other parts of the chain.

As Paul85 and Mac say, familiarity and experience play a huge part in subconsciously culling impossible/impractical options, critically evaluating the remainder for missing data or assigning time and magnitude of effect expected in the ideal, and then having at least some plan for course correction pending outcomes.
Considering that, I don't envy those of you who consult and are asked to leave in place plans, protocols, algorithms for crisis management of any type - yeoman's work for sure.

DaveP
Old 17 April 2018, 19:56
Authorized Personnel

I had an old First Sergeant, and by old I mean the dude was like 40 when I thought that Social Security age was like 40, that used to have what he called the 5 year test. If nobody is going to give a fuck in 5 years, it's a minor decision, just make it. Decisions that will still have an effect in 5 years need deeper reflection.
Old 17 April 2018, 20:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I had an old First Sergeant, and by old I mean the dude was like 40 when I thought that Social Security age was like 40, that used to have what he called the 5 year test. If nobody is going to give a fuck in 5 years, it's a minor decision, just make it. Decisions that will still have an effect in 5 years need deeper reflection.

Ha! Ole 1SG's can come up with some shit!

I was 1SG of a HHC that had had Medical section, Opfor Plt, Scuba & HALO sections, Co. HQ's, Fuck I forgot them all. Around 145 in all. Everything that happened at Victory pond was my responsibility, Rangers in Action Demonstrations for VIP's and Ranger Graduations. Day 1 Ranger Candidate's APFT and the normal bullshit like Polypro storing his motorcycle in his room when he was TDY.

You HAD to rely on subordinate leaders and hold them to the fire as well as mentor cherry Captians.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 17 April 2018, 21:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
In the military I was never in charge of more than a division of about 20 sailors. Not too hard to manage.

In civilian life my biggest leadership job was nurse manager of a surgery-trauma ICU, about 75 nurses, techs, and admin folks. I hate micromanaging, and I hate when employees go off-script then get scared of being fired.

My rules:

1) Do right by the patient
2) Do right by your colleagues
3) Do right by the department
4) If you fuck up, tell me so I can get ahead of it

They knew what the policies were, and I trusted that when I gave them a directive of what to do, they could figure out how to do it. A few people I had to reign in and really guide, but overall, productivity went up, work culture went up, complaints went down.

I left because my direct report was a cunt of highest magnitude who was a micromanager first class and second-guessed my every move.
I def would have stayed in Nursing longer if there'd been more men at the helm.

On the decision making thing. I like GSnipers 1st. Seargents idea of how to go about it.

What I've witnessed is more people fail to execute than fail to make decisions. They think they've done something with all this thought and frothing.
I've always been a seat of the pants decision maker and it has served me well.

Though as I get older I do take the available time to consider things more; but only if I can enjoy the thought/process. Otherwise I make a decision and move on.

Our new posting rules