SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 25 May 2017, 00:55
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCross View Post
Tried a few different things, finally got into minimalist running and went Nike Free--> Converse Hi Top.
IronCross, I wanted to make sure I understood about the Converse High Tops. Were you just mentioning these as your court shoes as a compliment to your Nike Frees, or are you using them as a bastardized minimalist runner type application. I'm open to any thoughts even outside the box.

On the old Aisics I did cut the little cross strap off completely, and relace to skip those eyelets, for tonight's run...still some type pressure point there. It's the dammedist thing. Dead-center on top of the foot. I almost think something like a jet-ski boot would be as smooth a fit as anything without laces at all. LOL. Or some big-ass velcro strap with about 2" wide surface area. Maybe like Frog's idea of getting five inexpensive pairs of no-names, maybe velcros, and tossing them in a few weeks when necessary. LOL!

I have been lucky and relatively injury-free, and it's kind of fun to troubleshoot and research the different thoughts and choices.
Much fun, and sure appreciated.
Old 25 May 2017, 20:25
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
IronCross, I wanted to make sure I understood about the Converse High Tops. Were you just mentioning these as your court shoes as a compliment to your Nike Frees, or are you using them as a bastardized minimalist runner type application. I'm open to any thoughts even outside the box.

I have been lucky and relatively injury-free, and it's kind of fun to troubleshoot and research the different thoughts and choices.
Much fun, and sure appreciated.
Well I was issued a set of High Tops at USAF Dive school for the nav dives. So I began to train in them, and started off with sprint workouts and weightlifting. Had no negative effect from sprints so tried distance running, felt great. I've been using them ever since and recently wore out that first pair. Took a good 6 years to do so.

I will say, I have had friends attempt to do the same, with varying success. Not everyone is cut out for minimalist running, perhaps.
Old 25 May 2017, 20:42
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Well I was issued a set of High Tops at USAF Dive school for the nav dives. So I began to train in them, and started off with sprint workouts and weightlifting. Had no negative effect from sprints so tried distance running, felt great. I've been using them ever since and recently wore out that first pair. Took a good 6 years to do so.
I wondered if that was the case. Outstanding!
Will also give this a try.

Those Converse remind me, old guys may remember the cool factor of PF Flyers some 45+ years ago. LOL! Damn I was proud of those.

Last edited by Tycon; 25 May 2017 at 20:47.
Old 26 May 2017, 00:25
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
In a few more years you will be asking for a memory cushion that goes on the recumbent cycle.
I thought you'd get a laugh, I just picked up a pair of Sketchers for walking (backups to keep at work) with "memory foam" insoles. LOL! If I don't like them for mileage they can become kick-around shoes, but they sure felt great in the store. They may end up being too soft for serious stuff, but got 'em for $19.
Old 26 May 2017, 01:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
... Had no negative effect from sprints so tried distance running, felt great. I've been using them ever since and recently wore out that first pair. Took a good 6 years to do so...
You're very lucky.

Quote:
... Not everyone is cut out for minimalist running, perhaps.
Yup
Old 26 May 2017, 08:27
Confirmed User

With minimalist running, you have to take into account a lot of different variables in order for you to see if it is worthwhile switching. This isn't a process that will happen in a few weeks. It took me at least a year for me to feel my lower extremities fully acclimatize to it. Some of those variables are age, type of activity you want to do or have done, and any type of injuries that might be worsen by changing your biomechanics. I am not trying to dissuade you from doing this as I am so glad I have done it and wish I never had used regular shoes to begin with. I have yet to find any good reason why shoes have the heel higher than the forefoot other than to appear taller.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 26 May 2017, 10:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
"memory foam" insoles.
I've got the MF insoles and they work well for my slow ass. I do have to retie my shoes after a bit as the foot settles into the insole.
Old 26 May 2017, 11:54
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
I've got the MF insoles and they work well for my slow ass. I do have to retie my shoes after a bit as the foot settles into the insole.
Exactly, I wore these to work today for my morning and lunch mileage, and these things are AWESOME! Like walking on clouds.
I did have to cinch them down tight to prevent more movement than usual. Have you had good durability out of them OCB? These may have just become my Go-To's for just walking, if they stand up to the milage. I've got almsot 5miles in them already today on concrete, and it was like walking on air. I'm sure glad you mentioned that, because I wouldn't have given them a second thought if you hadn't planted that seed in the back of my mind. An unexpected win! LOL!

Even if they just turn out to be traveling/driving/shopping shoes they're SO f'n comfortable they were well worth the $19 give-away price.
Old 26 May 2017, 14:28
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Have you had good durability out of them OCB?
Very good, still on the first pair, close to a year of use. I notice a big difference between them and regular padded inserts.
Old 26 May 2017, 15:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Yes, don't worry about the brand or the cost. I've tried them all. Just get something comfortable that feels good on your feet. Your Marathon days are over. Shoes wear out, find a pair you really like, then buy 5 more pair, because they will quit making the ones you like after a few years. This coming from a runner of 50 years, 61 years old and 3 Marathons, numerous Triathlons, beach runs and now can still run around the block at a 15 min pace and call that a workout, after 800mg of Motrin of course.
You got that right Frog. Don't cheap out on shoes. For when I was running high end Asics were my go to shoe. Now there are days I walk a lot for my job, sometimes over 12K steps. For casual work shoes my go to are Skechers. I probably have 4 different pairs that I rotate wearing. By doing this I can make them last. I see guys at work that wear the same pair every day. I'm thinking, your dogs gotta be barking at the end of the day.
Old 26 May 2017, 16:03
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Very good, still on the first pair, close to a year of use. I notice a big difference between them and regular padded inserts.
Outstanding! That's good news. They made such a difference that I'm 2miles ahead of my usual distance morning+lunch. Damn, this has become an addiction. I'm actually taking off two hours early to get in a bit more. Of course, it's the Comi-con convention too, so downtown should be quite entertaining. One dude was dressed up in a full clanking suit of armor with a big cape at Lunchtime. LOL! Downtown Phoenix is ALWAYS entertaining, and they've really fixed it up into a respectable downtown area now. Light-Rail and all. They did prevent an attack yesterday, and they have changed the rules today on "costume" weapons (so the guy in armor couldn't have a sword today). Perfect day for walking downtown.
Old 27 May 2017, 04:48
Confirmed User

Don't tie your shoes so tight! Unless you're doing sprints or trail running it's unnecessary and actually puts more stress on the plantar fascia. Or you can get elastic shoe laces like Lock Laces. All of my workout and running/trail running shoes have basically been slip on for 3 years now and I've never once came out of my shoes. That includes some orienteering in Finland in 6" deep moss/mud.

Seriously, if your shoes are fit properly you won't have to crank the laces down for it to stay on.
Old 27 May 2017, 14:48
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangercon View Post
Don't tie your shoes so tight! Unless you're doing sprints or trail running it's unnecessary and actually puts more stress on the plantar fascia. Or you can get elastic shoe laces like Lock Laces. All of my workout and running/trail running shoes have basically been slip on for 3 years now and I've never once came out of my shoes. That includes some orienteering in Finland in 6" deep moss/mud.

Seriously, if your shoes are fit properly you won't have to crank the laces down for it to stay on.
Dangercon, I didn't know they even had elastic laces, I will definitely put those into my remaining NewBalance (backups) normal style running shoes. I did toss the old wornout Aisics, in spite of their sentimental value. We should start a thread of high-milage running shoe pics that we've all beat to hell and stories. LOL! Sometimes they can feel like a beloved old dog! LOL! Anyone want's to share, they're welcome here.

Funny you mentioned slip-ons, because Thursday on my "shoe scouting" trip I picked up a pair of jet-ski type neoprene slip-on's just to see how they felt with their thin "as close-to-barefoot" soles as possible and zero pressure on the top because no laces. If they don't work I can use them for kayaking anyway. At $9/pr even if they only last a month on the sidewalk that's okay too.

I've been watching a lot of you-tubes this week about minimalist/barefoot technique, and how you "naturally" land more forward in the mid-foot area. Hell, even at age 55 it might be worth getting some proper coaching on technique...more gazelle-like and less "buffalo-stomp" style. LOL! And, It sure is cool to watch someone float-by who has those skills. I know poor technique is a big part of my problem.

Dangercon (or anyone), if I can ask, do you have a favorite slip-on used for running that has served you well?

Last edited by Tycon; 27 May 2017 at 15:07.
Old 28 May 2017, 22:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Dangercon (or anyone), if I can ask, do you have a favorite slip-on used for running that has served you well?
Well I've not used slip-ons, per se, but I have tied my shoes in a loose enough fashion where they provide the cushion/stability without all the extra pressure from tying your shoes too tight that causes problems. That's why I recommend the elastic laces. I can still tighten them down when I do sprints or running on trails/uneven surfaces.

One more thing I highly recommend if you're going to be working your way up to some longer distance runs is to find a running coach and get a gait analysis. Will save you lots of headaches in the long run with injury prevention, steady progress, and injury management (if you already have some you're dealing with).
Old 30 May 2017, 18:16
#BlackRiflesMatter

I have made up my mind that I'm going to eventually transition slowly into trying the barefoot style, and in the meantime I wanted to mention that I put some memory foam insoles into my backup runners (now current since I tossed the worn out Aisics) and gave them a try this weekend. Like running on a cloud, and for once my feet didn't hurt even a little afterwords.

I was concerned about the durability ($7.99 at Wal-Mart) but even if they only last a month...it's worth it for that price.

THEN I looked on the package and saw they have a 1yr guarantee.
So, I kept the receipt and package and plan on starting a wal-mart rotational program, if necessary. LOL! These things are SWEET!
Old 8 July 2017, 20:09
#BlackRiflesMatter

UPDATE: Well, with the recent Type2 scare, it has become even more important to "baby" my feet, and I've discovered with a stride analysis that I've already been doing the basic "minimalist" style naturally. That may be why I've been lucky to be injury-free at age 55. I'm not a "fast" runner, but I'm more concerned with upping the heart-rate for 3-5 minute intervals (@+165ish) than I am with mile-pace times, anyway.

I did go back to the Aisics (new pair) GELS at night when I mix in the running, and the good ol' Merrell Moabs for mornings and lunch downtown and parking garage stairs. The Aisics don't have a huge heel-to-toe drop, so they don't seem to hinder the minimalist style of landing more forward and not heel striking.

I also rotate in a pair of Sketchers memory foams on the downtown concrete walking part, when I wan't a few extra miles, or the feet are mildly aching from the day before. I try to do that a couple times per week just for a slight difference to the tendons/muscles, for a slightly different workout.

Was great to discover that I'd already been landing on the forward part of the foot, and I confirmed that on the way the new Aisics have their wear patterns. It's like reading your car tires for good "front end allignment" patterns. LOL! All good stuff.

Last edited by Tycon; 8 July 2017 at 20:22.

Our new posting rules