Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 3 May 2014, 17:35
Drawing my cutlass

Thumbs up GoRuck AAR

Just finished my first Challenge and suffice to say it was everything I expected and more. A group of 28 strangers started and 13 hours and 20 minutes later 27 ended up sore but with a sense of accomplishment. The entire 15-hour circuit included:

1. A two-hour PT session consisting of every evil exercise you can think including enough variations of low-crawling that make me believe that that all the stories of "back in the day, it was tougher," was true. Every exercise was done under the ruck (minimum six 5lb bricks, a bladder of water and any high energy snacks you were encouraged to bring). Also, the ruck, the additional 25lb weight plate (nothing like toting an old-school variant of an M-60 - that fucking pig) and an American flag as a guide on could never be laid down on the ground. Suffice to say, my shoulders are on fire.

2. A forced march to a man-made lake in Denver where during the march we were introduced to the hell of carrying participants in either a fireman carry, baby back or as a two-man team after earning an infraction for breaking formation (as in not maintaining arms length distance from the participant in front of you). Once earned, we rotated carriers, but there's nothing like trying to maintain your grip and balance while toting around a 200+ pound individual who had nothing but muscle mass.

Once at the lake, which is fed from snow melt, and we all knew what was going to happen, the cadre leader from GoRuck (an 18D from 1st Group) said strip to your underwear (including the female members of the group) and, well, you can guess what happened next. No it's not the rewarming exercise in Kodiak, but thank zee Gods I brought a watch cap with me after being dunked three times. Also, our friend the sand and pebble decided to hitch a ride with me for the remainder of the evolutions.

3. After the lake, we were given a chance to warm up with a lovely 6.5 mile forced march out of Denver and into the wilds of Aurora (or close proximity, all watches and electronic gear were stowed in the rucks and forbidden for use). Along the way, we were once again invited to carry our mates and introduced along the way to the newest fresh hell, logs. I don't need to explain what we did with the latter, everyone here gets the picture.

4. Once at our destination, a cemetery that has a number of Japanese-American servicemen from WWII interred there, we listened to the cadre recant the honor of these men as they served their country in spite of having relatives locked up in concentration camps. Queue TFGs comments from last week.

After the talk, the cadre member, in as non-dickish a manner as you can get, informed us that we missed our hack time by two minutes and that some PT was in order. Now, I never knew that there was a low crawl exercise that involved no feet and hands, but now I know; I know all of the bruises, scrapes and general misery of 50 meters of this exercise.

5. However, we made it to dawn (we started at 2100) and we had one last evolution back to the release point, a 6-mileish stroll back to Denver. We were allowed to ruck up with full straps, had our logs, our weight and flag and proceeded to have a jolly good time, for 10 minutes. The new diabolical 'encouragement' we had to endure (in addition to those described about) was to remove a shoe and we did not get the shoe back until an hour later when we traded 100 flutter kicks with our rucks over our chests for our collective shoes. At about this time, we were getting somewhat close-ish to our objective, but everyone was either carrying two rucks, which gave the casualty carriers some relief or a log. Incidentally, the carriers have my total respect, but I spent some time as a casualty and every carry burned my arms as I tried to maintain the proper position for the carrier.

Oh, did I mention that we went one-strap and later no strap on the rucks, not fun.

However, we made it to the release point with seconds to spare (9) and were told to stand down while the cadre congratulated us for putting in the maximum effort and coaxing every last ounce of will in spite of our now exhausted bodies.

I also learned a couple of things about such an ordeal (which is advertised as a small slice of SOF qualification).

1. In 13 hours all of us formed bonds and friendships that will continue. That includes the female studettes, who hung in there doing the same things that the studs did. As a side note, when we had to take a piss break in trees, nobody cared how it came out. The only thing the cadre wanted was for us to buddy up.

2. It's not about the tab (we were awarded a patch), the device or any of the shiny things that announce to others that one has completed a course of significance, again see TFG's comments from last week.

3. It is always about the brotherhood and in this case sisterhood, which I now have an inclining of understanding about.

You can look up GoRuck on Google, but I highly recommend this event to anyone who wants to challenge themselves for a slice of what the varsity goes through.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy

Last edited by Justaclerk; 3 May 2014 at 17:56.
Old 3 May 2014, 17:45
Another pool cleaner

Second what you wrote. Did mine in Maine last year. Good times.
Old 3 May 2014, 18:11
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
The entire 15-hour circuit included.
Meant to write, "The entire circuit included."

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 4 May 2014, 11:06
Morte et une dame

(I'm thinking of how far I am from being in good enough shape to complete that course.)
My hat's off to you, both.
Old 4 May 2014, 12:19
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
(I'm thinking of how far I am from being in good enough shape to complete that course.)
What he said!
Old 5 May 2014, 12:35
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
What he said!
Thank you, it was a humbling experience.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 10 May 2014, 17:34
Drawing my cutlass

The post Challenge glamorous photo. Some here will recognize the stoic Cadre in the front center. The rest of us are shouting, "Go Ruck!" at the top of our lungs.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 11 May 2014, 05:04
Confirmed User

Did my first one last summer. Cadre was SF from 19th Group. He kicked the shit out of us pretty good. I had a blast and felt like I was in a car wreck for a couple days. Fantastic lessons to be learned in GORUCK by the average joe...
Old 9 October 2014, 14:11
Drawing my cutlass

For those that are interested, the capstone event for GORUCK nation is being held in Jacksonville Beach, FL this weekend. The event is called Selection and it's modeled on SFAS and Hell Week; the cadre's goal is to have no finishers of the 48 hour event. Here's the link to the update site:

http://news.goruck.com/events/selection015/

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 9 October 2014, 21:01
Another pool cleaner

Are you doing it?
Old 9 October 2014, 23:28
Been There Done That

Well before he got out and helped start up the whole GR thing, I worked with one of the founders in OIF. Great guy and a stud. Glad that you guys and girls are getting something out of these events.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 10 October 2014, 05:29
Unemployed Stunt Double

There is a cheaper was to go through Selection.
Old 10 October 2014, 09:05
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Are you doing it?
Not this year, training for next year in Bozeman.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 10 October 2014, 10:36
Drawing my cutlass

From the original 82 it's now down to 4. A 95% attrition.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 12 October 2014, 12:01
Drawing my cutlass

There was one finisher to the event. Here's the last fifteen minutes (plus the beginning of the celebration):

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/53830179

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy

Last edited by Justaclerk; 12 October 2014 at 12:16.
Old 12 October 2014, 12:47
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I've always found it interesting that the finishes to a selection event are always so anticlimatic. Good on that dude for going the distance, but while I might be up for a race or other strenuous event, I'm loooooooooooong past the days where I find someone yelling at me (and who coincidently isn't doing the same scenario/exercise) to be inspiring or appealing....
Old 12 October 2014, 13:00
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I've always found it interesting that the finishes to a selection event are always so anticlimatic. Good on that dude for going the distance, but while I might be up for a race or other strenuous event, I'm loooooooooooong past the days where I find someone yelling at me (and who coincidently isn't doing the same scenario/exercise) to be inspiring or appealing....
That's why it's advertised as a slice of the real Selection; it's what the market wanted. Interestingly enough, all of the Cadre had to go through the GoRuck Selection even though they're all BTDTs.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 12 October 2014, 13:08
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk
That's why it's advertised as a slice of the real Selection; it's what the market wanted. Interestingly enough, all of the Cadre had to go through the GoRuck Selection even though they're all BTDTs.
I'm not disagreeing that there isn't a market for this type of stuff -- I've run shoot-n-scoot courses for the wealthy, whose only desire is that you ridicule them while they are crawling through mud to then shoot at a tgt. So yeah, I know people want it. I don't -- not anymore -- as gavin states, its far cheaper and perhaps a bit more rewarding to just go through the real thing -- not that I could anymore, I know that as well.

And I've also run selection courses in two different countries, over a span of right at 20 years, I'm familiar with the concept of having to pass the same thing you are asking others to do -- in the case of GoRuck, perhaps this also helps the company ensure they don't have some lardass standing in front of the participants reminiscing over his belly at the group, all the while munching on a jelly donut....
Old 12 October 2014, 13:20
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I'm not disagreeing that there isn't a market for this type of stuff -- I've run shoot-n-scoot courses for the wealthy, whose only desire is that you ridicule them while they are crawling through mud to then shoot at a tgt. So yeah, I know people want it. I don't -- not anymore -- as gavin states, its far cheaper and perhaps a bit more rewarding to just go through the real thing -- not that I could anymore, I know that as well.
I've wondered the same thing since a majority of the finishers were in the right demographic to go through one of the service courses, but don't.

Quote:
And I've also run selection courses in two different countries, over a span of right at 20 years, I'm familiar with the concept of having to pass the same thing you are asking others to do -- in the case of GoRuck, perhaps this also helps the company ensure they don't have some lardass standing in front of the participants reminiscing over his belly at the group, all the while munching on a jelly donut....
Agree, the GoRuck leadership is particular about who they bring on as Cadre.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 12 October 2014, 13:30
Confirmed User

Justaclerk,

Do you know the story at all on the selection finisher who is an amputee?

Our new posting rules