Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 12 October 2014, 13:43
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberfest View Post
Justaclerk,

Do you know the story at all on the selection finisher who is an amputee?
His name is Mark Webb and he was one of the first Selection finishers. He lost his leg earlier this year when he was riding his bike and a car cut right in front of him. He's a total stud and is still competing in endurance events.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 12 October 2014, 14:26
Another pool cleaner

I did a Challenge w/ Webb in Maine.

Total stud.

Sucks what happened.

The Selection sounds interesting. I've got more than enough "gut" for it.

Maybe, I'll take gavin's suggestion.

Last edited by 8654maine; 12 October 2014 at 14:33.
Old 12 October 2014, 15:04
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
I did a Challenge w/ Webb in Maine.

Total stud.

Sucks what happened.

The Selection sounds interesting. I've got more than enough "gut" for it.

Maybe, I'll take gavin's suggestion.
What also sucks - although it is a far lesser degree of suck - is that Paige, the only woman to pass Selection, lost a bet to Jason that at least one female from this class would complete the event. She now has to do the Selection in Bozeman as her bill.

Anyone want to go through their service selection again?

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 13 October 2014, 20:18
Drawing my cutlass

Icon5

Does anyone have any med experience with Acute Tubular Necrosis? The last med drop from selection went down with Rhabdomyolysis and has now been diagnosed with ATN.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 22 October 2014, 18:16
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I'm not disagreeing that there isn't a market for this type of stuff -- I've run shoot-n-scoot courses for the wealthy, whose only desire is that you ridicule them while they are crawling through mud to then shoot at a tgt. So yeah, I know people want it. I don't -- not anymore -- as gavin states, its far cheaper and perhaps a bit more rewarding to just go through the real thing -- not that I could anymore, I know that as well.

And I've also run selection courses in two different countries, over a span of right at 20 years, I'm familiar with the concept of having to pass the same thing you are asking others to do -- in the case of GoRuck, perhaps this also helps the company ensure they don't have some lardass standing in front of the participants reminiscing over his belly at the group, all the while munching on a jelly donut....
I was asked to do one later this year and without hesitation or a second thought - declined.

Now I've done a Spartan race, but that's a totally different thing and I preferred the party atmosphere, beer and no one screaming at me WAY more than the other concept.

I have no desire to remotely relive that crap! LOL

GoRuck makes some awesome gear, too bad it's expensive as fuck.

Definitely a market though...some people want to experience 'something' without going the actual route. Good for those capitalizing on it.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 22 October 2014, 18:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Does anyone have any med experience with Acute Tubular Necrosis? The last med drop from selection went down with Rhabdomyolysis and has now been diagnosed with ATN.
Pretty rare, usually developed in a hospital setting for a patient with an underlying kidney condition, septic shock, or a transfusion reaction, and generally responds well to treatment, especially in an otherwise healthy patient.
Old 22 October 2014, 18:50
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Pretty rare, usually developed in a hospital setting for a patient with an underlying kidney condition, septic shock, or a transfusion reaction, and generally responds well to treatment, especially in an otherwise healthy patient.
Thanks for the info. Jon, the last drop (medical) from Selection, is recovering well and his blood work is looking better everyday according to his wife, who is keeping a diary on Facebook of his recovery.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 22 October 2014, 18:55
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W
I was asked to do one later this year and without hesitation or a second thought - declined.

Now I've done a Spartan race, but that's a totally different thing and I preferred the party atmosphere, beer and no one screaming at me WAY more than the other concept.

I have no desire to remotely relive that crap! LOL....
In the following comments, I'm not referring to anyone here, just some thoughts "aloud", so to speak.

I believe that there are those -- certainly participants if not also "instructors" -- who will comment that the SOF types who engage in these events and whom do not pass, perhaps even those who do not want to go through the events, aren't hard/aren't hard anymore/weren't hard enough.

Well, my answer to that is that its one thing to tough out something because you want the life. Its quite another to suffer the distance because you want the T-shirt. I'm not belittling those who've done these events, on the contrary, I'm openly stating that those whom pass are obviously stout of body and mind. Truly. And a sincere kudos to them. No, I'm referring to the idea that getting through something often demands deep resolve. For those whom have that resolve within them for the T-shirt -- right on. But some whom might not have the desire for the T-shirt may have it in spades for the life.

I realize that the above may not seem logical to some. All I can state is that I've went through multiple selection events, some with silliness (screaming and yelling), and some with nothing more than an unknown or vague goal, the latter often in the most gentlemanly of environments (which was actually harder IMO, than the ones where people were wearing themselves out screaming at you). And in all of those events, I wanted that life which the event opened a door to. So toughing it out was easy -- no way was I quitting.

In the end, both goals are similar -- and the person who survives the event is clearly someone who wanted that thing, whatever it was. I'm only commenting that sometimes it is easier to justify the pain because of the prize. And I imagine that there are some (I'm one) who don't see the T-shirt as prize enough (certainly not any longer)....
Old 22 October 2014, 19:05
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
In the following comments, I'm not referring to anyone here, just some thoughts "aloud", so to speak.

I believe that there are those -- certainly participants if not also "instructors" -- who will comment that the SOF types who engage in these events and whom do not pass, perhaps even those who do not want to go through the events, aren't hard/aren't hard anymore/weren't hard enough.

Well, my answer to that is that its one thing to tough out something because you want the life. Its quite another to suffer the distance because you want the T-shirt. I'm not belittling those who've done these events, on the contrary, I'm openly stating that those whom pass are obviously stout of body and mind. Truly. And a sincere kudos to them. No, I'm referring to the idea that getting through something often demands deep resolve. For those whom have that resolve within them for the T-shirt -- right on. But some whom might not have the desire for the T-shirt may have it in spades for the life.

I realize that the above may not seem logical to some. All I can state is that I've went through multiple selection events, some with silliness (screaming and yelling), and some with nothing more than an unknown or vague goal, the latter often in the most gentlemanly of environments (which was actually harder IMO, than the ones where people were wearing themselves out screaming at you). And in all of those events, I wanted that life which the event opened a door to. So toughing it out was easy -- no way was I quitting.

In the end, both goals are similar -- and the person who survives the event is clearly someone who wanted that thing, whatever it was. I'm only commenting that sometimes it is easier to justify the pain because of the prize. And I imagine that there are some (I'm one) who don't see the T-shirt as prize enough (certainly not any longer)....
Concur 100%.

Especially that last part, "(certainly not any longer)".

Two eyes from the east.
Old 22 October 2014, 22:46
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
ATN is a form of Acute Kidney Injury. It results from either ischemia (hypoperfusion) or toxin effect in the kidney.

In sports or trauma, it usually resuls from hypoperfusion from dehydration. Ischemia ensues. Results in cell death. This releases a whole bunch of toxins, including myoglobin which precipitates in the renal tubules, resulting in Acute Tubular Necrosis.

Treatment is hydration, hydration, hydration. And getting rid of offending agents.

Basically what Gavin said.

Interesting discussion, SOTB and Mike.

In regards to the GoRuck Challenge, it's more of a team approach.

There are way too many douchebags who get the badge because someone else picked up their slack.

Last edited by 8654maine; 22 October 2014 at 23:11.
Old 24 October 2014, 13:18
Drawing my cutlass

Approved by Ranger5280.

Custom GORUCK Challenge to commemorate the 10th Anniversary of Operation Red Wings and the 12 SEALs and 8 Soldiers from the 160th SOAR who were killed on 28 June 2005. At the time, it was the single largest loss of life for Naval Special Warfare since World War II.

GORUCK’s only SEAL Cadre, Geoff Reeves, who was a close friend of LT Michael Murphy and knew several of the SEALs killed on that day, has agreed to lead this unique challenge to honor his fallen shipmates. This will be a little different from normal GORUCK Challenges, as it will take place entirely in the mountains, just as Operation Red Wings was fought in the Hindu Kush Mountains of Afghanistan. In an attempt to replicate the tough terrain that they faced, this challenge will be on Breakneck Ridge, about 60 miles north of New York City.

As a friend of mine, who was a member of the QRF on the second helicopter, once said, “For many people Operation Red Wings was a movie or a book to read, but for those of us who lived that day it was very real. Dealing with the loss of these warriors is still being felt by myself and their families.”

To honor these brave men, we will be running this challenge as a fundraiser for the SEAL/NSW Family Foundation (www.sealnswff.org). The minimum registration fee is $165. I say minimum because the goal is to raise a lot more. To register, send the minimum registration fee (plus any additional donation) via paypal (friends and family) to tim@parlatorelaw. Once you have paid, I’ll approve you to join the Operation Red Wings GORUCK Training Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1567471806815496/).

We’re also open to any additional fundraising ideas to maximize the benefit to the families of these and all fallen SEALs. If successful, I’d like to make this an annual event.

Registration is not limited, although if we go over 30 (which I hope we go well over 30), GORUCK may have to recruit more SEALs to join as Cadre.

And, of course, when you finish this special challenge, there will be a special Operation Red Wings GORUCK Tough patch. The design is based off of the original memorial patch, with the silhouettes of the fallen in front of the American flag.

The challenge will be over the weekend of June 19-21, 2015, although exact start time and place has yet to be determined.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 29 October 2014, 17:54

I did my first GORUCK Challenge in Seattle back in August. It was a solid gut check and a great experience. As a civilian I don't think there's anything quite like a GORUCK event. Tough Mudder wasn't even in the same realm. My instructor was Cadre Rich but I'm not sure what SFG he's in.

Selection is a beast of an event and anyone who does it would really want it, deep down in his soul.

Other events like the Challenge and Heavy are difficult but they do not have the same beatdown as Selection. There isn't really any yelling or abuse. Everything is done to build the team up....through pain, but always with an uplifting purpose.

All in all I had a great experience and I'll be doing another one again in Spring. Likely in Seattle or Portland.
Old 29 October 2014, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
ATN is a form of Acute Kidney Injury. It results from either ischemia (hypoperfusion) or toxin effect in the kidney.

In sports or trauma, it usually resuls from hypoperfusion from dehydration. Ischemia ensues. Results in cell death. This releases a whole bunch of toxins, including myoglobin which precipitates in the renal tubules, resulting in Acute Tubular Necrosis.

Treatment is hydration, hydration, hydration. And getting rid of offending agents.

Basically what Gavin said.

Interesting discussion, SOTB and Mike.

In regards to the GoRuck Challenge, it's more of a team approach.

There are way too many douchebags who get the badge because someone else picked up their slack.
Would the Rhabdo have been caused 100% by the event or could the days/weeks prior have contributed?
Old 29 October 2014, 19:01
Been There Done That

A good friend of mine is cadre for GoRuck.

I guess I can see why dudes who have never done anything except pushing too many pencils would want to do it.

can't fathom why a guy who had done it for real would want to pay to do something similar again.

Oh, the Rhabdo thing sounds fun. I guess Americans either have to be fat, or to destroy their bodies in a quest not to be. Sigh.
22 Aug 17
Old 25 March 2015, 01:34
Drawing my cutlass

Heading down to Albuquerque this weekend for a GoRuck event that's been dubbed the Heisenberg Challenge. The start point is Manzano Mesa Park and if anyone wants to watch a group of people do two hours of 7-22 PT before heading off to the hills the event starts at 2100 on Friday.

The Challenge's cadre is Bert Kuntz who some of you may know.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 25 March 2015, 02:03
Supporterator

Good luck, stay healthy.
Old 25 March 2015, 03:35
Calculating Infinity...

You guys pay for this abuse?!
Old 5 April 2015, 23:13
Drawing my cutlass

Short AAR on the Albuquerque Challenge

This is why I do all the physical training. One of the foundation mission statements of GoRuck is that it is committed to the idea of rucking, which implies action, energy, and purpose. It's also about teamwork, which is how 12 strangers got an opportunity to shoulder carry an 800lb log. At the end we weren't strangers.

Here are some pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burpees.jpg (88.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Log Carry ABQ.jpg (63.5 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Log Carry The End.jpg (66.0 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg ABQ ENDEX.jpg (86.5 KB, 195 views)

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 2 June 2015, 12:13
Confronting the Reckoning

Worthwhile for this civilian

I completed a Light just a few days ago. It was a part of their HCL (three events sequentially) activity. I appreciated both the experience the cadre put me through and being there as the six individuals finishing all three struggled to find the last ounces of mental and physical strength to finish the final workout. It was clear that the Light was limited to those who are already hard core athletes or Cross-Fit nuts (though one ought to be in some shape). Clearly the Challenge and the Heavy do require more. I (and most everyone else) recognized it was a fraction of what is expected of those attempting to qualify to join the special operations community. Nonetheless it was an excellent introduction to the team building experience, and a chance to find out how much I can push myself further.

It was definitely more 'fun' going in with a friend, and I could appreciate how being alone in those challenges would make one more likely to give up and go home. I also found in myself regret when it was over. First, that it was over (though I was happy to stop moving). Second, that I'd not made myself stronger when I was younger. Third, that I would probably have enjoyed the positive, personal challenges available within military service. It was never possible (I have a chronic condition that is a no-go), but doing this event made me want to continue to seek out challenges for self-improvement.

The cadre were excellent. Geoff, Joel, and Mocha Mike (as they are identified on the company website) were both tough and not too serious (for the Light). They made it work well, they made us want to succeed in the events, and they made it clear they knew exactly what they were talking about. It wasn't 'weekend warrior' or 'let's pretend' and there was no joking that 'now you've finished, you're tough as nails like we are.' Rather it was, "Good, you did it, you found your inner strength not to quit. Now go do other things with that strength." Change my life? Dunno. Ask me in a decade. But I do think I'm a stronger person for having accepted this challenge, trained up for it, and accomplished it. And I think, standing on the outside as I do, that I will appreciate that much more what I read on this forum.
Old 16 June 2015, 23:33
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
I completed a Light just a few days ago. It was a part of their HCL (three events sequentially) activity. I appreciated both the experience the cadre put me through and being there as the six individuals finishing all three struggled to find the last ounces of mental and physical strength to finish the final workout. It was clear that the Light was limited to those who are already hard core athletes or Cross-Fit nuts (though one ought to be in some shape). Clearly the Challenge and the Heavy do require more. I (and most everyone else) recognized it was a fraction of what is expected of those attempting to qualify to join the special operations community. Nonetheless it was an excellent introduction to the team building experience, and a chance to find out how much I can push myself further.

It was definitely more 'fun' going in with a friend, and I could appreciate how being alone in those challenges would make one more likely to give up and go home. I also found in myself regret when it was over. First, that it was over (though I was happy to stop moving). Second, that I'd not made myself stronger when I was younger. Third, that I would probably have enjoyed the positive, personal challenges available within military service. It was never possible (I have a chronic condition that is a no-go), but doing this event made me want to continue to seek out challenges for self-improvement.

The cadre were excellent. Geoff, Joel, and Mocha Mike (as they are identified on the company website) were both tough and not too serious (for the Light). They made it work well, they made us want to succeed in the events, and they made it clear they knew exactly what they were talking about. It wasn't 'weekend warrior' or 'let's pretend' and there was no joking that 'now you've finished, you're tough as nails like we are.' Rather it was, "Good, you did it, you found your inner strength not to quit. Now go do other things with that strength." Change my life? Dunno. Ask me in a decade. But I do think I'm a stronger person for having accepted this challenge, trained up for it, and accomplished it. And I think, standing on the outside as I do, that I will appreciate that much more what I read on this forum.
You had Geoff for your Light? Good on you.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy

Our new posting rules