SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 22 March 2017, 12:31
Confirmed User

shoe review

Normally would not do a review on shoes as is very subjective to the person wearing, I'm 52 year old 6 foot 1 inch and 230 pounds. I have had 2 back surgeries and 2 bum knees. I am always searching for a good shoe and I think I have found one. the shoe company is called Hoka and the shoes are very comfortable. they have good support but for cushion feels like I am walking on marshmallows. I will wear them for a few months and report back but as of now my back and legs hurt less at the end of the day. fit bit shows about 10-12 steps at work.
Old 22 March 2017, 16:45
Confirmed User

My go to are Asics for working out. And Skechers for casual.
Old 22 March 2017, 17:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet65 View Post
Normally would not do a review on shoes as is very subjective to the person wearing, I'm 52 year old 6 foot 1 inch and 230 pounds. I have had 2 back surgeries and 2 bum knees. I am always searching for a good shoe and I think I have found one. the shoe company is called Hoka and the shoes are very comfortable. they have good support but for cushion feels like I am walking on marshmallows. I will wear them for a few months and report back but as of now my back and legs hurt less at the end of the day. fit bit shows about 10-12 steps at work.
Been using Hoka One Ones now since 2011. Made running enjoyable again. Got several friends into Hokas also, and they all love them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 22 March 2017, 18:08
Confirmed User

You want clouds? Buy some yeezys. Those things are insane. I'll stick to my minimalist footwear, but hey, to each his own.
Old 22 March 2017, 20:35
0311/8651

I wear combat boots.
Old 23 March 2017, 05:28
Authorized Personnel

Flip flops or nothing at all.
Old 23 March 2017, 10:01
Verified SOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
I wear combat boots.
Too Fucking hardcore for me......
Old 23 March 2017, 10:03
Verified SOF

I just Googled these Hoka shoes.... they look interesting to say the least.... I'll probably end up giving them a try.....
Old 23 March 2017, 11:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Flip flops or nothing at all.
bad for running, worse for fighting

I still need to buy some of those....
Old 23 March 2017, 11:41
Verified SOF

I'm reading the reviews and there's not a lot to be said for the durability of these things... I like the looks of Speed Instinct, but the reviews and pics suggest "stay away"... I think I'll give the Clifton 3 a shot.. (probably best for hitting the hardball).

My usual Solomons last about three to four months before they start to tear apart.. or need some Sho Goo application... despite looking like shit I still wear them until they have gaping holes... I'm a light runner.. maybe just 20 miles a week, but it's all running inside a FOB with compacted gravel and dirt.. that's tough on anything..
Old 23 March 2017, 13:45
Confirmed User

I have worn New Balance for about 20 years as they were good for my wide and "floppy" foot. After an IT band issue I recently switched to Altra shoes. These are the zero drop and I did not have any issue transitioning as some report.

Due to the season I have been primarily on roads and the treadmill. The first pair I tried were the Instinct. They lasted about 300 miles before tearing on the sides on a short, non-technical trail run (possibly due to salt water exposure). The toe box was generous even though they do not come in wides. I did have to let the laces all the way out and the tongue coverage was maxed out. They fit slightly small in length.

I'm now on the Provision and went a half size bigger. The width is a bit better but I'm now getting rubbing on the top of my foot which is not common for me.

In general, both have been very comfortable. The laces have been great. I don't have to cinch them down to keep them laced, alleviating unwanted pressure on the top of the foot.

I got both for around $75. One via Amazon Prime and the other through promotive/experticity.

My next shoe from them will be a trail shoe once the trails here stop being rivers. That'I'll be the final test as I'm not sold yet.

With both shoes I've been running about 35-45 miles/week, conservative (slow) pace, with a cadence of about 180 strides per minute.
Old 23 March 2017, 20:48
Supporterator

Theres a Nike Free spinoff called Allbirds that are really comfortable, and they come in colors and patterns that can be worn casually.
Old 23 March 2017, 23:09
Been There Done That

I've worn Newton running shoes for the past seven years, after wearing NB, Nike, and Asics. They are, by far, the best running shoe I've encountered, particularly if you have a mid-foot or forefoot strike when running. They aren't cheap, but last longer and have been very kind to knees.

http://www.newtonrunning.com/

Edit: I've had a pair of Newtons last a year with significant use, which was a big change after replacing shoes every six months.
Old 24 March 2017, 18:36
0311/8651

NB 993- Marines were handing these out at boot camp in past years. They have done me ok
Old 3 May 2017, 19:59
#BlackRiflesMatter

For mostly walking and stairwork (lunchtime, downtown concrete) I'm still happiest with my Merrell Moabs hikers (low cuts) as they are super durable and seem to have zero pressure points.

For evenings where there's running involved, I switch to a worn-in pair of Asics GELs.
Old 4 May 2017, 13:49
Confirmed User

If running is part of the equation, then I am a fan of Altra - per this old thread:
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=119501

I tried Hokas and Merrells - and they are great shoes - but they aren't the fit for me for running. I literally have a Fred Flintstone shaped foot, so finding the right shoes for me has always been a challenge.
Old 4 May 2017, 14:06
A/1/75

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
For mostly walking and stairwork (lunchtime, downtown concrete) I'm still happiest with my Merrell Moabs hikers (low cuts) as they are super durable and seem to have zero pressure points.

For evenings where there's running involved, I switch to a worn-in pair of Asics GELs.

^^ This

Charlie

Our new posting rules