SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 27 April 2017, 21:48
Confirmed User

Push ups and dips on opposite days?

I do pull ups and push ups every other day. I'm getting a dip bar tonight. Seeing if anyone here has any input on whether it makes sense to practice dips on days I don't do push ups. I know both exercises use the same muscle groups but use the muscles in different ways. I am ignorant as to whether or not my recovery time will be affected since the muscles are used differently? Any input is appreciated.
Old 27 April 2017, 22:47
Supporterator

IMHO, you're overthinking it. Why split them? Superset dips and pushups and you'll get really good at both after awhile.
Old 28 April 2017, 10:06
Administrator

Experiment and find out what works for you. That's the only way you'll know.

Agonizing over minor details is a waste of time. Your body is your lab.

In general there's some principles, but everyone is different and part of the adventure is experimenting on yourself, not asking others what may impact your "recovery" or not.

Get it on and report back to us.
Old 28 April 2017, 12:02
Voodoo guru

I've made a total switch in how I workout. I do not lift weights anymore with the exception of squats (including squat variations), and deadlifts. I've started using bodyweight calisthenics in the style of how gymnasts do their strength training. The point is for functional strength for everyday life. In my case to supplement Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai training. Here is a plan that I have that was designed by a former gymnast turned strength training. It's amazing. A 4 week run.

I can tell you going this route has done more for me physically than any other training plan I've ever done. I broke my back in July 17, by allowing, who I now know to have been a drunk former Grunt, to crashing my 911.

My joints have gone from feeling sore, so strong. Dropped more off my waist than I'd have ever thought. And strength is through the roof. Do this, and I have three other levels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-04-28_11-57-25.jpg (37.2 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Muscle up week 2.jpg (38.4 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Muscle up week 3.jpg (47.7 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Muscle up week 4.jpg (44.4 KB, 177 views)

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 28 April 2017, 20:11
Confirmed User

Appreciate the advice. Been overthinking it. Going to keep it simple and see what works better for my muscle recovery needs. Will give it a shot and report back. Thanks for posting that plan as well. I'll take a look at it. I do a lot of Yoga now and plan on getting back into boxing again a couple times a week. I mainly want to maximize my push up, pull up, and dip ability as far as strength training goes. Might throw some free weight curls and free weight bench presses later on to increase my hand grip strength. Going to just focus on maximizing the 3 basic body weight exercises for a long while. My pull up reps are horrible!
Old 28 April 2017, 20:33
In Vino Veritas

I'm about to take Chokes route. Although I do like lifting heavy things my joints need a break. Google/IG Bobby Maximus. He a Gym Jones trainer. While he does different things he does have workout where he busts out +2000 (ea) push up/pull ups/dips in a week

He is 100% an outlier but a great example tahtvthere is no such thing as over training.

I also like SB advice. Everyone is different and if you monitor your workouts and diet you can find different things that work for different goals.
Old 1 May 2017, 15:20
Fitness Mod

I started doing push-ups Maximus style (let your chest touch the ground and pause briefly before pushin up) a few weeks ago and I like them. It feels easier on the elbow joint because you don't suspend the bend and for me I feel like it works my chest muscles deeper.

My .02
Old 1 May 2017, 15:27
Confirmed User

Jumped on this today. Will report back in 4 weeks. Coming off a decent back injury so strength is way low to begin with. Always been a huge fan of calisthenics, mostly because they're cheap!
Old 1 May 2017, 16:42
0311/8651

Pups-work delts, chest
Dips-tri's-try straight up-down or bend forward, Good stretch on chest muscles
All kinds of different angles-sets reps etc- just have fun doing it
Old 1 May 2017, 17:29
Confirmed User

That Bobby Maximus stuff seems on point. Been doing his style of push up as well. After I square myself away on the three exercises I'm doing, I am going to further pursue a fitness plan of his as I think it will compliment what I am doing with Yoga and Tai Chi.
Old 14 June 2017, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
I've made a total switch in how I workout. I do not lift weights anymore with the exception of squats (including squat variations), and deadlifts. I've started using bodyweight calisthenics in the style of how gymnasts do their strength training. The point is for functional strength for everyday life. In my case to supplement Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai training. Here is a plan that I have that was designed by a former gymnast turned strength training. It's amazing. A 4 week run.

I can tell you going this route has done more for me physically than any other training plan I've ever done. I broke my back in July 17, by allowing, who I now know to have been a drunk former Grunt, to crashing my 911.

My joints have gone from feeling sore, so strong. Dropped more off my waist than I'd have ever thought. And strength is through the roof. Do this, and I have three other levels.
I dig what you're doing, and I've come to a similar feeling towards working out. Im curious though, how do you incorporate your weighted squats and deadlifts? One day a week where you do both? Or alternate between them week to week? I just can't personally imagine a fitness schedule for me that doesn't include weekly moderate to low rep DL's/back squats. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Old 15 June 2017, 09:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76233 View Post
I do pull ups and push ups every other day. I'm getting a dip bar tonight. Seeing if anyone here has any input on whether it makes sense to practice dips on days I don't do push ups. I know both exercises use the same muscle groups but use the muscles in different ways. I am ignorant as to whether or not my recovery time will be affected since the muscles are used differently? Any input is appreciated.
There is some crossover, but in general they don't work the same muscles, at all. Pullups are more back, bi's, rear delts; dips chest, tris, front delts (and some lats).

There are benefits to both supersetting, and splitting them. Do both. Superset, pullups, dips, repeat. Add weight sometimes. Some days go for max reps on each set, some days do sets of 5 to failure. Mix it up.

Last edited by poison; 15 June 2017 at 09:49.
Old 15 June 2017, 09:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
I dig what you're doing, and I've come to a similar feeling towards working out. Im curious though, how do you incorporate your weighted squats and deadlifts? One day a week where you do both? Or alternate between them week to week? I just can't personally imagine a fitness schedule for me that doesn't include weekly moderate to low rep DL's/back squats. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
You don't need those to be strong. If you're doing bodyweight exercise, pistols are your friend, as are tabata squats. Pistols can quickly correct any muscular imbalances which you won't see squatting or dling, and it's amazing how many guys with good squat/dl can't do a damn pistol.

Our new posting rules