SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 3 May 2017, 08:06
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
I'm not a dedicated athlete anymore since I've retired but I also don't want to completely decline. Getting up and moving around helps.
This exactly! When Mom passed after a long fight with alzheimers I was worried about my Dad, in his mid-80s. After 50+ years together I didn't want him to just give up like often happens. So, I leashed his ass to Mom's little dog and walked them both on a 1mile loop every other day. He'll be 90 in June, and his girlfriend (mid-60's) has a hard time keeping up with him. The moral of that story is exactly what you said..."..keep moving.."
Old 4 May 2017, 17:26
#BlackRiflesMatter

UPDATE: Good Bang for the $$...

I'll eventually go with a Garmin HR of some kind. And still looking at the Amazon refurbished idea.

But, I did break down in the meantime and get a less expensive solution with the 3plus Vibe. I mostly got it to wear to work for morning and lunchtime workouts, because it's a larger face than the smaller "band" types, and looks more like a smart-watch than a workout band.

It also has the linked cellphone notifications and controls, and a decent cell phone tracking app. Pretty happy with it so far (2 days), for the $60 I spent on it.

http://3plususa.com/product/3plus-vibe/
Old 6 May 2017, 11:02
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Lately it hasn't been locking the HR monitor when I bike for some reason. I squirt some water down my jersey for connectivity (calm down AZATTY) but no luck. While I'm more conserved with the HR function when running (which has been flawless) it's a little annoying. .
Try washing the strap (licking it doesn't count). You're supposed to wash it every seven workouts, and they aren't joking. I've gotten all sorts of goofy readings and connection issues on the bike if I don't wash the strap. I'm told it has to do with salt creating a path away from/between the conductive threads in the strap.

My 910XT gets flaky for distance in the pool if I'm doing anything other than freestyle. Open water is fine, but that's probably because the out and back over a couple miles has greater relative movement than laps. On laps I'm usually shorted a couple hundred meters.

Yeah...reading this thread reminds me that I need to get back to serious PT.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 6 May 2017, 11:23
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Hey, I'm still getting my nerve up for a solo Superstitions hike like you were explaining about. That's some seriously rugged territory.

Last edited by Tycon; 6 May 2017 at 11:39.
Old 30 May 2017, 17:00
Above Tree Line

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 and had it for over a year now. I do agree that you don't need a lot of bells and whistles but if you are serious about training/tracking then I feel some features are a must.

Do you need GPS Tracking? No, not for what you are discussing in the OG Thread but lets say you want to go hiking or venture out and do some trail running, or MTB, ect. Then yes, there is a purpose for it. So you really have to ask yourself what you plan on doing and not just in the now but in the bigger picture. Will it just be what you mentioned and never wavier from that, or will you be open to getting outside in other types of activities?

I like to invest in things that I can grow into with plenty of headroom. Multi Sport Watch can motivate you to try other things cause you know you can be safe and track you location and progress and not be limited by gear.

IMO: Fitbit is more or less fashion but the tried and true companies like Garmin has its place.

I like the Fenix series due to its multi sport function. If you want to MTB/Cycle one day, then Run then next, Swim, or Hike then it has tracking systems for each sport. Which you can download to Strava which is free and you can keep track of your progress and make goals for yourself.

Again its all about what YOU plan on doing and how open you are to other types of sports/movement.
"The person who says practice makes perfect doesn't know what he is talking about...Perfect is an illusion created by people who always wants to be disappointed in themselves. Rather....Practice makes Better!"
Old 30 May 2017, 18:10
#BlackRiflesMatter

Spot on Danno!

As I get in better shape, I'm starting to picture myself doing some Trail running once the WX cools down and the snakes go back underground. LOL!

I'm leaning toward the Garmins and I'll look into the Garmin Fenix 3.
Old 30 May 2017, 18:22
Above Tree Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
Spot on Danno!

As I get in better shape, I'm starting to picture myself doing some Trail running once the WX cools down and the snakes go back underground. LOL!

I'm leaning toward the Garmins and I'll look into the Garmin Fenix 3.
I would also try and get one via REI. Its no secret they have the best 1 Year Warranty around. Take the time to register your product as well. That plus the REI's Warranty will ease the burden of dropping cash on a great product if you do decided to return it for whatever reason.

Last: Invest in a protective watch face cover. They have some great ones that fit the Fenix for 20 bucks or so. Trust me, the last thing you want is to scratch your awesome watch. You will bump into things so its a matter of time...
"The person who says practice makes perfect doesn't know what he is talking about...Perfect is an illusion created by people who always wants to be disappointed in themselves. Rather....Practice makes Better!"
Old 30 May 2017, 20:19
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I would also try and get one via REI.
And I get dividend points, as a longtime member! Love that place. Good reason to get over there and I need to look at their Merrell runners anyway. Like a kid in a candy store.
Old 8 June 2017, 13:02
#BlackRiflesMatter

Status Update:

While I was waiting until around my birthday to pop for a quality Garmin watch, my buddy gave me his old FITBIT (without Heartrate).

I am LOVING this thing. It has made the roadwork a LOT easier to track, and it has also allowed me to setup a couple other courses of distance VERY easily. It's addicting.

The cellphone application is outstanding, and easy to setup and use.

I'll still get a Garmin around August, with all the multi-sport capabilities and GPS tracking.

But, for just roadwork (walking/running) this thing is fantastic!
Old 21 September 2017, 17:58
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Try washing the strap (licking it doesn't count). You're supposed to wash it every seven workouts, and they aren't joking. I've gotten all sorts of goofy readings and connection issues on the bike if I don't wash the strap. I'm told it has to do with salt creating a path away from/between the conductive threads in the strap.

My 910XT gets flaky for distance in the pool if I'm doing anything other than freestyle. Open water is fine, but that's probably because the out and back over a couple miles has greater relative movement than laps. On laps I'm usually shorted a couple hundred meters.

So after moving to a humid climate the Garmin HRM all but shit the bed. I'd wash it and two miles into my run it'd quit.

I read on the "internet" about it and order a Polar strap. The Garmin transmitter snaps on no problem. I used it today and zero issues.
Old 21 September 2017, 20:07
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
So after moving to a humid climate the Garmin HRM all but shit the bed. I'd wash it and two miles into my run it'd quit.

I read on the "internet" about it and order a Polar strap. The Garmin transmitter snaps on no problem. I used it today and zero issues.
My first Garmin HRM did the same thing, but my current one is going on 4 years now.
Old 28 January 2018, 09:57
#BlackRiflesMatter

A post in another thread worth mentioning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
Recently an individual released a bunch of heatmaps on social media sites highlighting spikes in athletic device activity in various shithole corners of the world. The data is powered by Strava - a site that aggregates GPS data from your Garmins / Fitbits / whateverthefucks into an open map accesible by the public. Doesn't take a genius to figure out 20 folks running 7 mile loops in the middle of the desert every day while wearing fancy digital athletic watches are either some hooked up locals or your token crew of pipehitters.

PSA is be aware of what data your electronics are pumping out to where at all times.
Old 28 January 2018, 10:59
SOCNET Moderator

Motiv Ring

Our new posting rules