SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 5 June 2017, 14:34
Voodoo guru

Real Stretching: Chances are you're not doing it

I'm more than sure that most of us stretch. But it is likely the most do not stretch enough, nor correctly.

I've always enjoyed the feeling of a good stretch, and have been fortunate to have really good flexibility. It's never proved its worth more than in the past year. Last year I got a broken back via letting a buddy drive my car. As in turned my car into a low atmosphere orbit vehicle, for the purpose of crash testing the durability of domestic old growth trees. Specifically, hitting one tree (hello airbag), only to re-angle while in flight, into another tree (hello windshield). Broke my back in two places.

Once I was able to move, I used the program listed below as a recovery tool. And damn, did it ever work. It may all be in my head, but I know that after I got out of the Army, I had some slight scoliosis. I don't have it anymore. And the breaks were in the area of the scoliosis. And my back feels stronger than ever.

So... this benefitted me. I figured it could probably benefit some of you broke back ole farts. It is a link to my Dropbox folder. If you like these programs, the people that made the routines also have some amazing bodyweight programs too. I'm working on doing muscle up's, L-sits, planche pushups and human flags. Solid, old fashioned step by step strength and conditioning works even on this 46 year old gorilla.

Focused Flexibility
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g4b2z7l8e...tines.zip?dl=0

Focused Flexibility chart
https://www.dropbox.com/s/unzmd1uynl...utine.pdf?dl=0

Problem Area Stretching
https://www.dropbox.com/s/30qgzn7q3p...tines.zip?dl=0

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 5 June 2017, 16:55
Confirmed User

Why thank you, sir! One must ask: is Condoleeza in your dropbox as well?

Sounds like you had an amazing recovery. Good job! I have a herniated disc in my back, and it's my weak link, along with some scoliosis, so this is relevant for me.
Old 8 June 2017, 04:53
Confirmed User

I, too, am a big fan of the folks that make these programs. I am currently working through two of them now and am impressed with the quality of the programming and the results.
Old 8 June 2017, 13:06
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Why thank you, sir! One must ask: is Condoleeza in your dropbox as well?

Sounds like you had an amazing recovery. Good job! I have a herniated disc in my back, and it's my weak link, along with some scoliosis, so this is relevant for me.
Condoleeza?

The recovery was surprising; and I'm thankful. It could have been a lot worse. The guy that I let drive my car, not so good. Still has a banged up left leg; likely permanently. None the less, nothing makes ya feel alive than realizing you could have been dead. :-)

Have you given the program a try yet? I'd be curious to what you think.

Old 8 June 2017, 13:47
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
I, too, am a big fan of the folks that make these programs. I am currently working through two of them now and am impressed with the quality of the programming and the results.
They are really great. Pricey, but worth every penny.
I have their Elements program, and the entire Foundations Package (Vitamin, Focused Flexibility[the material found in the dropbox folder], and Integral Strength)

I'm about to get their Rings 1 program. I bought some gymnastic rings from Onnit, and they're a blast to workout with. Might as well learn a functional skill with them.

Which programs do you have?

I'm about to post up a 3 level Muscle Up and Body Transformation Package in dropbox that I got from Bar Starz. Very solid program as well. The modality's are similar; but the Bar Starz stuff is aimed at skill development. In this case, doing Muscle Up's. Which if you can do that, you have gorilla strength. So it's a good over all program for real world brute strength.

Old 9 June 2017, 23:51
Confirmed User

I have P1, Focused Flexibility and Integral Strength. I started with the FF because of long-term shoulder problem I have, and it helped a great deal.

Then I went to P1 to strengthen the shoulder and core. I just added the Integral Strength recently.

Because of my age, abuse on the body, and looking for some variety in my training - and also because of a strong recommendation from some trusted colleagues, I checked out GMB.

My regular workouts now consist of a mashup of the GMB bodyweight programs and kettlebells - which I am very happy with. Great mix of variety, intensity, strength and movement.

I am not aware of Bar Starz - I will check it out it. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10 June 2017, 09:24
Voodoo guru

Do you like P1?

Old 10 June 2017, 13:21
Confirmed User

P1 is excellent. Progressions and regressions work very well. I can now hold an L-sit for 30 seconds and when i started i could barely do one at all. Lots more besides the L-sit in this program. Highly recommended.
Old 13 June 2017, 19:05
Confirmed User

Thanks for posting these. On a related note, does anyone have a good (free) unzip program?
Old 13 June 2017, 23:51
Confirmed User

What OS do you have?
Old 14 June 2017, 09:38
Been There Done That

Very cool! I'll be checking these out as my flexibility sucks now that I'm getting old after retirement. My back and neck hurt (the bad kind of hurt) when I try to work out and it has put a damper on my fitness.
Old 14 June 2017, 09:53
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
Very cool! I'll be checking these out as my flexibility sucks now that I'm getting old after retirement. My back and neck hurt (the bad kind of hurt) when I try to work out and it has put a damper on my fitness.
You'll find that this program is perfect for the bad kind of hurt LF. I've had another check up on my back since posting this, and the doc even confirms that he thinks that the stretching is responsible for the recovery I've had.

One other thing that is VERY helpful. As funny as it sounds, get a pull up and...
Just hang there for as long as your grip will allow you. You will hear all kinds of cracking and popping as you decompress. Our bodies were designed after all, to hang. Aside from being a helluva grip exercise, it is very therapeutic.

Old 18 June 2017, 17:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
What OS do you have?
The latest crappy version of Windows.
Old 19 June 2017, 09:11
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
My back and neck hurt (the bad kind of hurt) when I try to work out and it has put a damper on my fitness.
Oddly, I have the opposite problem. As long as I'm lifting, everything is good. If I stop lifting for a while, I can barely get out of bed. As nearly as I can tell, my mobility is completely ruined, and keeping the muscles strong is the only thing saving me from completely breaking down. So...given that mobility is the root of a lot of my issues, thanks for posting, chokeu2, and I'm glad you're recovering well!

While true:
Continue
Old 19 June 2017, 13:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
The latest crappy version of Windows.
So assuming that is Win10...? If so, Win10 has native zip/unzip capability. Right-click on the zip and select "Extract All..." - which will open a dialog box asking where you want to place the unzipped files. HTH.
Old 20 June 2017, 12:12
Conformed User

How timely.

I was up at 4:30 this morning stretching and trying yoga moves to relieve the pain I've been having in my back (jump injury). I was looking into this very program as a more permanent solution.

Thanks for the info!
Old 21 June 2017, 20:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
So assuming that is Win10...? If so, Win10 has native zip/unzip capability. Right-click on the zip and select "Extract All..." - which will open a dialog box asking where you want to place the unzipped files. HTH.
I'm an idiot. Appreciate the assist.

Our new posting rules