Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 1 July 2017, 21:12
I aim to misbehave

Strongman

Anyone here ever done any strongman stuff? I think I'm registering for my first competition in November in Arizona. Been training the movements for about a year and a half now...it's the most fun I've ever had picking up heavy things.

While true:
Continue
Old 1 July 2017, 22:15
I aim to misbehave

I lied. It's actually in California.

While true:
Continue
Old 2 July 2017, 09:47
0311/8651

If you can back lift over 3 tons you are strong or DB press over 300# you get my attention
Paul Anderson came to my school about 1966 and spoke
Old 2 July 2017, 10:16
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
If you can back lift over 3 tons you are strong or DB press over 300# you get my attention
Paul Anderson came to my school about 1966 and spoke
Yeah, I'm nowhere near that level. First competition, I'll be doing "novice class."

MAX DEADLIFT-
rising bar- from floor
PRESS MEDLEY- 60 seconds
odd implement- circus dumbbell- log
SANDBAG/ ODD IMPLEMENT MEDLEY
2 sandbags/ 1 odd implement- carry and load. Distance tbd
WHEELBARROW RACE
100'- 4 lanes head to head
MYSTERY EVENT
Don't ask- or it will increase in difficulty

While true:
Continue
Old 2 July 2017, 10:54
0311/8651

I know!!! He was one of a kind. Good luck on your competition. I lift now about once every 7 or so days
I'm 68. Still an old grumpy Marine
Old 3 July 2017, 06:42
Authorized Personnel

Good luck. I have lifted since I was 14 without fail and still don't consider myself worthy of strongman competition.
Old 3 July 2017, 16:11
Confirmed User

It's been my hobby for the past 3 or 4 years. It's a lot of fun. I compete open heavyweight in both the USS the NAS. Though right now I'm limping around like an old man.

The novice division is fun. The only problem is, if you win, you will be required to compete in open at your next competition.

IMG_2336.jpg
Old 3 July 2017, 19:56
Voodoo guru

Very bad ass! Being at the level of competing by itself is bad ass bro. I had a friend that did pretty well in Strongman named Jesse Marunde. Unfortunately he's RIP'ing.

I did some training with him, not for the sake of competing, just for the sake of enjoying the training. It is amazingly fun. I can only imagine how intense being an actual competitor is. Definitely post pics!!!!

Fool For a Client: right the hell on. Are you limping around due to competing? How much of the training gear do you have at home? Did you make it yourself if you have any? Or get it from someone like Iron Mind?
Old 4 July 2017, 16:01
A lost ball in high weeds

If you haven't seen it, you might like the 2015 documentary on Eddie Hill. Very interesting to see what sacrifices that man makes to become the strongest man in the world. He is the 2017 World's Strongest Man and the current world record holder in the deadlift with straps -- 500 kilograms.

On Netflix at https://www.netflix.com/title/80142450
Old 5 July 2017, 11:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post

Fool For a Client: right the hell on. Are you limping around due to competing? How much of the training gear do you have at home? Did you make it yourself if you have any? Or get it from someone like Iron Mind?
I last competed in April and did well. Shortly afterwards I broke one of my big toes in BJJ. Then for some reason carpal tunnel flared up on me. Then for some reason that caused (at least I think) my knees and ankles to get all inflamed.

I don't have any gear at home, really. I have pitched in for some of the gear at our gym. I went in on a custom built conan's wheel, i.e., the wheel of pain. Went in on fingal finger. And we are pretty stocked on atlas stones. And some other implements. Found some big tires. Sometimes you just have to get creative to train. We have some sandbags from Ironmind. Good stuff.

Here's our custom canon's wheel, and a few competition pics.

2016-03-19 09.33.52.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-04-11 09.29.31.jpg (35.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0441.jpg (29.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2334.jpg (22.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2337.jpg (47.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 5 July 2017, 14:39
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post
Good luck. I have lifted since I was 14 without fail and still don't consider myself worthy of strongman competition.
I really don't, either...but I guess that's why they have "novice" competition, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool_For_A_Client View Post
It's been my hobby for the past 3 or 4 years. It's a lot of fun. I compete open heavyweight in both the USS the NAS. Though right now I'm limping around like an old man.

The novice division is fun. The only problem is, if you win, you will be required to compete in open at your next competition.
I don't have a coach, exactly, but I get advice from the guy who introduced me to strongman, as well as a pro-card holder I know via social media. I also train with a couple guys at my gym, one of whom is a pro-card holder. They're all telling me to skip novice and go straight in at the <175 lbs weight class (that's a lot of cutting for me...almost 20 lbs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Very bad ass! Being at the level of competing by itself is bad ass bro. I had a friend that did pretty well in Strongman named Jesse Marunde. Unfortunately he's RIP'ing.

I did some training with him, not for the sake of competing, just for the sake of enjoying the training. It is amazingly fun. I can only imagine how intense being an actual competitor is. Definitely post pics!!!!

Yeah...I was powerlifting in college when a guy came to town to teach a free strongman seminar. I showed up and found my new addiction. First time in years I actually had fun lifting. It's never stopped being fun, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp View Post
If you haven't seen it, you might like the 2015 documentary on Eddie Hill. Very interesting to see what sacrifices that man makes to become the strongest man in the world. He is the 2017 World's Strongest Man and the current world record holder in the deadlift with straps -- 500 kilograms.

On Netflix at https://www.netflix.com/title/80142450
Yeah, I watched that with the wife a couple weeks ago...pretty awesome documentary, and Eddie is a badass dude.

My lifts are a bit less spectacular. Deadlift, I can pull somewhere in the mid 500s. Log press, 225-ish. Heaviest farmer's carry I've ever done is 225 in each hand, though I do think I could go a fair bit heavier on that one. I loaded a 230lb stone this weekend to about 60 inches, and had plenty of gas in the tank, but probably not enough to have hit a 300lb stone...next week, I'm going to try 250 and 270, and if those work out well, I'll try for 300 and on up. Yoke...well, apparently I'm a pack mule. Yoke is the one lift that just feels like I was built for it. That one I'm pretty confident in, at least for my weight class.

While true:
Continue
Old 5 July 2017, 15:06
Confirmed User

I wouldn't get to wrapped up around barbell maxes. I've beaten guys at events, like atlas stones, who can deadlift 200# more than me.

So much of it is technique. That and practice. The first time I tried a 300 per hand farmers I couldn't pick it. But after starting light and just adding weight every week, my next attempt came up easy. I was the same general strength. Just did it so many times my body knew the correct motions and breathing. And I had some pointers from guys better than me about where exactly to position my feet and how to tilt my head, wrap my hands, and the proper way to breathe. That counts for a lot.

If you can do the open weights, go for it. It's all for fun. Strongman is one of those sports where your competitors are cheering for you to beat their time/reps/weight. I will say that, in USS, if you win a novice, you get a ticket to nationals. Had a young guy at my gym do it, and then win in the open teen division at nationals.

The biggest thing I've learned is not to overdo it. It becomes real easy to overtrain your CNS when you're doing this type of stuff. Some of the strongest guys I know do very, very little of the heavy work. I learned that lesson the hard way. Nothing like showing up at a competition and not lifting something you had already repped out numerous times in training, just because your body has had enough.

Oh, and make sure you understand the rules re: tie breakers, etc, as well as strategy. Screwed myself out of a win on a throwing event once just because I had no idea that opening throw height would break a tie. A lot of time people are able to game wins even though they weren't as strong that day.

Good luck man, it's a lot of fun.
Old 5 July 2017, 18:24
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
I wouldn't get to wrapped up around barbell maxes. I've beaten guys at events, like atlas stones, who can deadlift 200# more than me.

So much of it is technique. That and practice. The first time I tried a 300 per hand farmers I couldn't pick it. But after starting light and just adding weight every week, my next attempt came up easy. I was the same general strength. Just did it so many times my body knew the correct motions and breathing. And I had some pointers from guys better than me about where exactly to position my feet and how to tilt my head, wrap my hands, and the proper way to breathe. That counts for a lot.
I've definitely learned a lot from my training partners, and done a lot of things I thought I could never do. It's good stuff.
Quote:
If you can do the open weights, go for it. It's all for fun. Strongman is one of those sports where your competitors are cheering for you to beat their time/reps/weight. I will say that, in USS, if you win a novice, you get a ticket to nationals. Had a young guy at my gym do it, and then win in the open teen division at nationals.
Jesus...from novice to nationals? Is that just to humble you after you win novice and get the "big head?" Anyway, I think I'm going to make the open/novice determination based on what competition I choose. Probably won't be going to the Cali one this year, but maybe next year. Too much for the travel budget.
Quote:
The biggest thing I've learned is not to overdo it. It becomes real easy to overtrain your CNS when you're doing this type of stuff. Some of the strongest guys I know do very, very little of the heavy work. I learned that lesson the hard way. Nothing like showing up at a competition and not lifting something you had already repped out numerous times in training, just because your body has had enough.
Yeah...I learned that yesterday...trained multiple movements several days in a row, then failed a deadlift at 365...my body was just done. It told me to go eat and get some sleep and a day off.
Quote:
Oh, and make sure you understand the rules re: tie breakers, etc, as well as strategy. Screwed myself out of a win on a throwing event once just because I had no idea that opening throw height would break a tie. A lot of time people are able to game wins even though they weren't as strong that day.

Good luck man, it's a lot of fun.
I have a helluva lot to learn about strategy...picking it up little by little just paying attention to what successful guys have to say.

While true:
Continue

Our new posting rules