SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 25 July 2017, 13:09
I aim to misbehave

Dangers of sitting at a desk all day

So, I've been sitting at a desk for a paycheck for quite some time now. When you do that, you place the hip flexors in a shortened position, and the pressure can cause the glutes to deactivate, which compounds the problem. The hip flexors try to stay shortened, in order to gain mechanical advantage in stabilizing the hips and low back, but the problem is that they don't stretch back out when you stand up, if you spend more time sitting than standing/walking/etc.

The hip flexors being shortened ends up pulling the hips down in the front, which exaggerates the lumbar curve and causes you to stick your ass out behind you. This is called anterior pelvic tilt or hyperlordosis.

Mine is one of the more exaggerated cases of APT I've seen. Just got my x-rays back yesterday, and it looks like my L5/S1 area is completely screwed up. Back in february, I slipped my l5/s1 disk, and I knew then that APT had contributed to the problem. I didn't realize how severe it was, though, until yesterday.

This stuff is pretty gnarly. Going to take me a long time to correct this stuff...and really, the whole point of the post was just to say: too much time spent at a desk is effing dangerous.
l-spine-l.PNG

While true:
Continue
Old 25 July 2017, 13:32
FIDO

I have had some of the same issues. For over a decade I spent way too much time looking through a windshield. (Over 60k+ per year) I started having lower back problems and was diagnosed with a "frozen hip". Some time with a chiropractor loosened it up but it kept happening. Doctor told me that my hip flexors had seized up and to stretch.

Gym time and a metric shit ton of stretching combined with ,ugh less driving has made it better but it still flares up occasionally.
Old 25 July 2017, 14:28
Confirmed User

I have a stand up desk with a bar height chair, which allows me to both sit and stand depending on how I'm feeling. That and strengthening your lower back by deadlifting can really help.
Old 25 July 2017, 14:33
I aim to misbehave

Yeah, I'm into the process of requesting a standup desk and bar height chair for work, and putting a tread desk together for when I work from home.

For my part, the low back is plenty strong. It's my abs that are weak. I've been stuck in sport-specific conditioning for too damn long, and my abs are too weak to balance out the stronger muscles in my spinal erectors and hip flexors.

While true:
Continue
Old 25 July 2017, 14:34
The Sagacious One

I started taking 5 breaks a day to go do goblet squats and swings with my kettle bell. Too much screen time for me as well.
Old 25 July 2017, 15:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Yeah, I'm into the process of requesting a standup desk and bar height chair for work, and putting a tread desk together for when I work from home.

For my part, the low back is plenty strong. It's my abs that are weak. I've been stuck in sport-specific conditioning for too damn long, and my abs are too weak to balance out the stronger muscles in my spinal erectors and hip flexors.
I went 10 years at a desk until I started to fix the problem. I thought I had a bad back because of it, and all sorts of other issues. They all straightened out when I really strengthened my back. A lot of the core muscles work together. Or as John Welbourne would say, trunk (because I'm not a fucking apple). Between squats and deads of varying heights, as I gained strength, it completely went away.

Now I have carpal tunnel which really sucks. But that's a different story altogether.
Old 25 July 2017, 17:50
Confirmed User

Instead of a permanent desk change, consider one of these:
https://www.varidesk.com/
A lot of us are getting these where I work.
Old 25 July 2017, 21:52
Been There Done That

Anyone try out these "Kneeling Chairs"? I tired one once, very comfy. Thinking of buying one for my desk.

https://officechairsusa.com/varier-b....naAdg6Ae.dpbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg varier_balans_balans__30792.1479744214.400.430.jpg (56.4 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg Varier_BALANS_Tearsheet_FINAL.jpg (29.2 KB, 219 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 25 July 2017, 21:58
Supporterator

I just started working 10 hours a day at a desk. I am pretty faithful to circuit training and calisthenics, glad to see this thread.

Already floated the idea of a standing desk to the boss.
Old 26 July 2017, 10:47
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCross View Post
I just started working 10 hours a day at a desk. I am pretty faithful to circuit training and calisthenics, glad to see this thread.

Already floated the idea of a standing desk to the boss.
If you can't do a standing desk, sitting up higher with your hips less bent can help. Strict attention to proper posture can help a lot...and there are a lot of exercises you can do throughout the day that will help, if you are in the kind of office environment that will allow you to do so. I can dig up some links and post them.

While true:
Continue
Old 26 July 2017, 11:05
Confirmed User

Here's a view of the Varidesk
Old 26 July 2017, 11:16
Been There Done That

We have several of them in the office. Some love them and a few now do not want them.
Old 26 July 2017, 11:44
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
Here's a view of the Varidesk
For me, it will be whatever the "corporate egonomics team," decides on, after my ortho doc signs off on the paperwork. Fun stuff, right?

While true:
Continue
Old 26 July 2017, 14:05
Confirmed User

I got promoted about a year ago to a management position. My days vary, some days I walk 13K steps. Other days are spent in the office. I do a variety of core and lower back exercises several times per week which seems to help. Good luck.
Old 26 July 2017, 15:36
I aim to misbehave

Another guy on my team has severe back issues (way worse than my lordosis) and has been going through the process. I think they are going to put him on a "formal work from home arrangement," and he is suggesting I push for the same, rather than trying to get a standing desk at work.

While true:
Continue
Old 27 July 2017, 00:52
Been There Done That

I just stood up, thanks. I know sitting all day working and then sitting at night doing school is killing my back but that's ridiculous!

I've been working out again after a several year layoff but I guess I really need to get after it. The stretching I do eases the tense muscles but I'm not getting more flexible yet.
Old 27 July 2017, 10:35
Confirmed User

Stretch those hip flexors. Google "mobility wod couch stretch".
It takes time but it helps.
Old 27 July 2017, 10:44
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwesttech View Post
Stretch those hip flexors. Google "mobility wod couch stretch".
It takes time but it helps.
Yeah, couch stretch is good. I'm running into some issues with hip impingement when I try to stretch the hip flexors, so as of yesterday, I started throwing in banded distraction for the hips as well.

While true:
Continue
Old 27 July 2017, 12:12
As Above So Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Yeah, couch stretch is good. I'm running into some issues with hip impingement when I try to stretch the hip flexors, so as of yesterday, I started throwing in banded distraction for the hips as well.

Which hip drives forward? The one in the front or the one in the back. Hard to tell from a video?
Old 27 July 2017, 14:35
#BlackRiflesMatter

I was commuting 1 hour each way in shitty slow-moving traffic, then doing 9+hr days doing project-dollar spreadsheets and engineering designs in CAD format. I tried to offset the sedentary (and way too quiet) work with a footrest and ergo chair that all forced me to "lean back" in the chair (very slightly) so-as-to not lean forward, or compress the spine by sitting vertically.

I also walked before work, stairs during lunch, and did walk-run intervals at night because if I didn't I would stiffen-up and HURT from sitting in that chair so many hours. We were supposed to get up and move every 90 minutes, but nobody did.

The elevated footrest, and lots of walking every day, helped make it ALMOST tolerable for a couple years anyway.

Last edited by Tycon; 27 July 2017 at 14:48.

Our new posting rules