Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 27 July 2017, 14:40
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
After examining the intangible costs of the total hours with the commute, the health detriments, and the pure torture mentally/physically...I started to look at cost/benefit of that $60K, and what it was REALLY costing me.
This. I'm an assistant director at a major firm. Pretty damned good money. Completely not worth it. I'm going to gut it out for a few more years, long enough to be debt free...and then I'm going to sacrifice a lot of salary in exchange for something that pays the bills without killing me.

While true:
Continue
Old 27 July 2017, 15:16
Confirmed User

For me:

- Varidesk - yes.
- Incorporating easy sets of goblet squats and KB swings throughout the day - yes.
- Something to add. Get a foam roller and roll those quads a few times a day. Very slowly - let the muscle melt around the roller. It should not be comfortable. This has done wonders for my lower back pain and stiffness. Also - use the roller on the thoracic spine region with your arms crossed in front of you. This is more for the shoulders and neck but also contributes to easing the lumbar region.
Old 27 July 2017, 17:14
#BlackRiflesMatter

Pretty decent link here...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/art-20046169
Old 27 July 2017, 22:37
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Get a foam roller and roll those quads a few times a day. Very slowly - let the muscle melt around the roller. It should not be comfortable. This has done wonders for my lower back pain and stiffness. Also - use the roller on the thoracic spine region with your arms crossed in front of you. This is more for the shoulders and neck but also contributes to easing the lumbar region.
Funny you mentioned this, before I got the footrest that forced me to sit "back" slightly into the chair (and support my back) I would be suffering by 1pm EVERY day. Made for very long afternoons. Steady pain in my lower back, and sharp shooting pains in the quads. I bought an old wooden baker's rolling pin and kept it in my desk. It helped greatly on the quads, until I got the footrest and didn't need it anymore. Even better, it was one more thing to baffle the boss with. I do miss F'n with him, but I'm fed-exing him a fuzzy-purple crown-royal sack with two 3/8 brass nuts in it...to replace "the ones he is missing". He'll get the reference, since I told him so, many times (why, in jest, of course). I'm dropping it in the small package with the (locked) desk key I forgot to give him. LOL!

Last edited by Tycon; 27 July 2017 at 22:46.
Old 27 July 2017, 23:04
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
This. I'm an assistant director at a major firm. Pretty damned good money. Completely not worth it. I'm going to gut it out for a few more years, long enough to be debt free...and then I'm going to sacrifice a lot of salary in exchange for something that pays the bills without killing me.
Exactly. Something where I'm on my feet at least part of the day. Better for the back (and the soul). After years in the field with a toolbelt in the heat, it's funny that just 2yrs in the office was the harder of the two. I discovered I'd have never made it through SERE training...if they just tied me in an office chair for 5 hrs and made me push a mouse around. Stare at a computer monitor (unblinking) with toothpicks holding my eyes open. I'd cry like a baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Disease
Work has changed and many computer-users now sit for as much as 15 hours per day! For most of human history we were hunters and gatherers. Hunter-gatherers often walked or ran 6 to 12 miles (10 – 20 K’s) per day.
Several thousand years ago man began farming, raised crops and kept animals. Early farming was hard manual labor and burned many calories per day.

In the late 18th century the industrial revolution began and machines replaced many manual tasks. Mechanical assistance greatly reduced the amount of physical activity in our daily lives. Very recently computers became more common in work environments. It is estimated that half of all jobs in western society are computer-based. Working on a computer all day is very sedentary activity and is associated with the factors that make up sitting disease.

Sitting disease or more accurately, metabolic syndrome, is a condition where the Lipoprotein Lipase enzymes in the blood vessels essentially go to sleep after 60 – 90 minutes of inactivity. These enzymes are responsible for metabolizing fats and sugars in the blood stream. Physical movement is thought to stimulate enzyme activity and improve cholesterol & regulate blood sugar. Lack of movement and low enzyme activity contribute to weight gain, diabetes and a reduction in HDL- the good cholesterol.

The Bad News: Running and regular exercise improves health and fitness, but even an hour per day is not enough to off-set the negative effects of 15 hours of sitting each day.

The Good News: Standing, walking, fidgeting, and contracting/relaxing the muscles every hour or more seems to reactivate the sleeping Lipoprotein Lipase enzymes. This stimulates your metabolism.

The Implications: Long periods of sitting or other sedentary activity is not good for your health. This can lead to early death. Regular activity, especially regular non-exercise physical activity such as standing, walking, raking, shoveling snow, gardening, cleaning, etc. has protective benefits.

Sitting time and mortality from all causes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009 May;41(5):998-1005.

Sitting May Increase Risk Of Disease. University of Missouri-Columbia (2007, November 20). From ScienceDaily.

Ten Things You Should Know About Sitting

Most of us sit too much. The average person sits more than 8 hours per day. Many office workers sit as much as 15 hours per day. Think about all the sitting in your typical day; sit at breakfast, sit on your way to work, sit at work, sit on your way home from work, sit for dinner, and then sit to watch TV or surf the internet.

Sitting puts your metabolism to sleep. 60 – 90 minutes of inactivity (like sitting) is enough to shut down the enzymes responsible for producing HDL- the “good” cholesterol, and for regulating blood sugar. Chronic inactivity is now thought to contribute to our diabetes epidemic.

Sitting is harder on your back than standing. Sitting tenses the hamstrings and causes a flattening of normal curve in the low back. This distortion of the spine increases the internal strain of the back. Sitting upright or sitting in a forward bent position is particularly hard on the back.

Sitting in a reclined posture, thighs-declined, or even slouched back against the back cushion can reduce tension in the spine. This reduces the hamstring tension and shifts some of the upper body weight onto the back cushion.
http://office-ergo.com/sitting-disease/

Last edited by Tycon; 27 July 2017 at 23:32.
Old 29 July 2017, 08:23
Proud wearer of a Beard.

I have about 5-12 meetings a day so am constantly standing / walking during a normal work day. What I do find is if I sit for any longer than an hour, my sciatica flares up. I do have a standing desk, and I try to stand during meetings, but have been repeatedly told that I intimidate the Govt clients when I stand in a meeting.

But deadlifts etc always seem to fix the issue.

Problem with being a Senior Manager is that being tied to a desk is a pretty clear job requirement, so I have to make it work somehow.
Old 29 July 2017, 15:52
Confirmed User

This is a very good thread. Without a doubt, more and more people are going to have serious issues going forward, as more jobs in the future will require prolonged sitting and inactive movement in work environments. For myself, on average I previously spent 5 hrs a day at the desk, and the rest of the time really mobile and moving around--and then the daily grind of PT after work. No problems.

Now, for the last 10 months or so, I have spent 10-15 hrs a day at my desk on the computer. For the first time in my life I am experiencing all sorts of problems-- back, eyes, and other weird stuff. I can’t believe the changes that have happened in such a short amount of time. I’m a fairly young dude, in shape, but the desk/computer is f’ing me up big time.

I can’t find the article now, but I have seen some that say that individuals who sit for prolong hours at a desk, should do special stretch exercises at the end of the day. I don’t remember the exact methods, but some were like lying on the floor on your back for an hour, and some other weird positions to re-configure the daily posture. I’m not sure, but if I find the article I will post it here.

I now understand why, and have seen, some of the modern tech companies who have basically built playgrounds into their office spaces and work areas to combat any negative effects of sitting at a desk all day. It’s a real problem.
Old 1 August 2017, 12:00
I aim to misbehave

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a kneeling chair, which should arrive tomorrow. Also been doing a lot of corrective exercise, strengthening the posterior force couple (glutes, hamstrings, rectus abdominus) and mobilizing the anterior force couple (hip flexors, spinal erectors). So far, I'm finding the pain in my SI joint is almost gone, but my back hasn't adjusted to the new position yet, so I'm getting a lot of unfamiliar aches further up, especially in the lower thoracic spine.

I have an appointment tomorrow with a sports massage therapist to try to get the muscle mobility up to par faster, but I suspect this is going to be a long and painful process, no matter what.

While true:
Continue
Old 3 August 2017, 16:52
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
I have an appointment tomorrow with a sports massage therapist to try to get the muscle mobility up to par faster, but I suspect this is going to be a long and painful process, no matter what.
This (the wife) has helped me tremendously. Even just helping me stretch. That, and the walking. I also have an inversion table I try to use often, and flutter kicks. I really need to get into a (cold) swimming pool on a regular basis. I found two of these at the thrift shop for next to nothing...AWESOME. Bought 'em both.

http://www.coreproducts.com/jeanie-r...RoC4TIQAvD_BwE

Also considering yoga...as much for the heartrate as mobility.
Old 3 August 2017, 20:06
Been There Done That

Getting rid of the Wi-fi, effective Monday. Less time on the internet, means less time sitting at a desk. Now will just drop into a coffee shop, or the library, once a day to check my emails, a few social media outlets (Socnet, couple other forums, Facebook for business, etc.) and be done with it in an hour or so. Will do more walking now.

As above have an inversion table, that I love. Do a couple times a day.

Need to get a better chair for reading.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 3 August 2017, 23:40
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Getting rid of the Wi-fi, effective Monday. Less time on the internet, means less time sitting at a desk. Now will just drop into a coffee shop, or the library, once a day to check my emails, a few social media outlets (Socnet, couple other forums, Facebook for business, etc.) and be done with it in an hour or so. Will do more walking now.
Great move, LP. Are you still doing any swimming? I know in addition to walking that is one of the healthiest exercises possible. I need to dedicate more time on the rowing machine as well, which is also very complimentary to walking in that it does work often ignored hamstrings, full body, etc.

What's that old saying about never going peacefully, but instead, keeping up the "good fight" as long as humanly possible (+and then some)... and when the time finally does take us, skidding into the grave, sideways, saying "man... what a ride!"

Old 4 August 2017, 10:40
Been There Done That

I use my water rower every morning, 7 days a week. Lap swim around three times a week. Weights three times a week. Martial arts 7 days a week. Walk dog every day. Trying to get out to shooting range once a week or twice. Need to get out now one more time a day for an additional walk with dog. Many nice parks and trails in my area, but many days just stick to my neighborhood or the park that is just one mile down the road. Nicer park fifteen minute drive away, that i need to start hitting everyday- has nice trails through the woods.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 4 August 2017, 10:43
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
I use my water rower every morning, 7 days a week. Lap swim around three times a week. Weights three times a week. Martial arts 7 days a week. Walk dog every day. Trying to get out to shooting range once a week or twice.
I'm lifting 5-7 days a week, but haven't been doing anything for "cardio," aside from rucking once a week and my heavy conditioning for strongman. I definitely need to lose a few lbs around the middle, so I'm starting to work walking and running into my routine. My wife bought me a 10 workout "punch card," for one of the local CrossFit gyms, as well. I'm not a huge fan of CrossFit, in general, but all three of the gyms around here are pretty good, so I suppose I'll go use my 10 workouts.

While true:
Continue
Old 4 August 2017, 11:05
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Your post...
Outstanding LP! Combined with Keto and less chair time that makes for a very healthy life. Even plenty of "vitamin-D(og)" time outdoors with the dog. I've gotta get over to our rec-center pool more. Good stuff.

Our new posting rules