Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 8 August 2017, 16:54
#BlackRiflesMatter

Tips and Tricks about Foot fitness...

In the ongoing fight with father time, I've gotten back into putting in some serious roadwork. 8-10 miles/day, except for the small diabetic hick-up for the few weeks of metformin medication, where lactic acid was an issue and I had to cut back to 4-5mi/day. And with the previous damage from blood sugar neuropathy issues (and some here are fighting gout, etc) it becomes even more important to use every trick in the book to keep the feet healthy and happy.

I know some of you badasses spent time in wet-sandy boots, or marching many miles under a heavy ruck, so I figured it would be a good opportunity to share our tips and tricks.

A couple things I've been doing is a warm salt-water or epsom salt foot soak at the end of the day. This does wonders for healing those beat-to-shit feet, and also seems to help with the lactic acid buildup. Sometimes I alternate a cold then hot then cold routine.

Another thing I seem to be gravitating toward (for walking, not so much running) are the Sketchers shoes with the memory foam insoles. I still wear my Merrell Moabs half the time, because I don't wan't to get too dependent on the "softer memory foam" completely, but rotating different shoes seems to change the dynamic slightly, and not let the muscles plateau, anyway. Seems to help a lot.

Anyone else have any good "feet fitness" tips or tricks?
Old 9 August 2017, 13:38
Authorized Personnel

Be careful with the memory foam shoes. I've heard podiatrists say that too much support weakens the arch.
Old 9 August 2017, 18:11
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Be careful with the memory foam shoes. I've heard podiatrists say that too much support weakens the arch.
+1. I've been making a point of rotating them in/out of the mix, for that exact reason. Damn, they are comfortable though.

Considering a Grand Canyon hike soon, so I need to toughen them up a little, but need to be careful with the diabetic neuropathy at the same time.

Some good foot stuff in a few of the Goruck videos.
Old 9 August 2017, 19:01
The atomic zit

I was at the cobbler the other day...

We got into a discussion about people who stand on their feet for a living. He and I agreed that pillow top shoes were a no go.

Search the bowels on this site and see if you can find Ace's post about foot care.
Old 9 August 2017, 19:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I was at the cobbler the other day...

We got into a discussion about people who stand on their feet for a living. He and I agreed that pillow top shoes were a no go.

Search the bowels on this site and see if you can find Ace's post about foot care.
I can attest to this thought process. I have a pair of Hoka Hoka's that I totally enjoy walking and jogging in, but when standing still for long periods, they kill me.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 9 August 2017, 19:28
Calculating Infinity...

yeah.. the cobler. ... who"s certified?
Old 9 August 2017, 20:00
The atomic zit

God damn it Marine, you suck. Please keep your cock holster closed... :D

Pardon me, as we are currently under going sensitivity training at work, and those of us that are prone to use those kinds of words decided we should get them all out, before the deadline of 9/07/2017.

In the mean time, Man-fucking-Mur is the best fucking cobbler in the history of this world. Look that shit up, you lazy piece of shit!!! I mean, fuck. Who wouldn't won't to drive from the ghetto that Durham to the Capital of the Old North State. You might even get to perv out on of some 18yos or some soccer Moms dancing around Hillsborough St in yoga pants or daisy dukes...
Old 9 August 2017, 23:23
#BlackRiflesMatter

The "cobbler" (gotta be a code-name) would surely approve of soccer moms in yoga pants and high-heals, as is popular this year in downtown PHX. God Bless America, mountains to prairies, etc.

Some things are just good when they're bad.

Last edited by Tycon; 9 August 2017 at 23:35.
Old 10 August 2017, 08:13
Been There Done That

All you need:

Get at least one Thai/Khmer Foot Reflexology massage a week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foot Massage.jpg (5.8 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg Foot masage 2.jpg (28.0 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg Thai Foot Massage.jpg (37.0 KB, 162 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 August 2017, 08:24
Been There Done That

Yes they work wonders
Old 10 August 2017, 10:44
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
All you need:

Get at least one Thai/Khmer Foot Reflexology massage a week.
Around here, anything Thai that isn't a restaurant comes with a happy ending. "Reflexology" is just a cover word on a sign, unfortunately.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 10 August 2017, 11:24
Confirmed User

1. Often sore feet are signs of tight everything above. Stretching may help
2. Look at the smaller ball here https://tptherapy[do]com/category/massage_balls

Excellent to roll under your feet at the end of the day or even when just sitting around. A frozen small soda pop bottle or golf ball works wonders too.

Feel.good.

H
Old 10 August 2017, 12:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
A frozen small soda pop bottle or golf ball works wonders too.
I use old lacrosse balls.
Old 10 August 2017, 13:04
As Above So Below

Swimming and whirlpools are good. But, there are some good tips here for when that is not practical.
Old 10 August 2017, 13:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Around here, anything Thai that isn't a restaurant comes with a happy ending. "Reflexology" is just a cover word on a sign, unfortunately.
That is unfortunate. In Thailand and Cambodia, many foot massage place, traditional. Rows of comfy chairs lined up. Around $6 - $7 will get you an hour long foot massage. Usually starts with getting your feet scrubbed and washed, followed by about a 45 minute foot massage, including hitting the reflexology pressure points, and then 15 minutes massage the shoulders, neck, upper back and scalp.

Very nice also if you have some Blu-Emu or Tiger Balm you ask your massage lady to use on your feet, ankles, knees, achilles tendons.

Pics of the Golden Lotus where I was using everyday pretty much for a foot massage, just several weeks ago when was in BKK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gold Lotus.jpg (18.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg GOlden Lotus.jpg (34.1 KB, 131 views)

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 10 August 2017, 14:49
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Yup. But I have had some good foot care after the wife suggested one of the small (usually Vietnamese) nail places that exist by the hundreds. I am definitely not too "proud" to do that now, and around $35 gets close to the full treatment as LP mentioned above. Although I never could settle on the right color for me.

Also picked up one of those "HoMedic" foot messagers (no azatty, not that kind! LOL) at the thrift shop for $9 and that's a blessing just before bed. It has IR heat, as well. Good for circulation. Awesome thrift shops here in the retirement community.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...tired-feet.jpg

Last edited by Tycon; 10 August 2017 at 15:15.
Old 27 August 2017, 02:04
Been There Done That

I'm surprised no one reposted this gem. Scroll down:
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...are#post206643

The Magic Man knows of what he speaks.
Old 27 August 2017, 19:34
The atomic zit

Just did a little housekeeping and came across my copy of, "Fixing Your Feet".

I have shared that post with many people, and send that book to many as well.
Old 29 August 2017, 09:02
Confirmed User

Do you need to run that much? If not, don't. There are other safer and less impactful ways to maintain fitness.
Old 29 August 2017, 18:12
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Do you need to run that much? If not, don't. There are other safer and less impactful ways to maintain fitness.
I have recently cut back to a minimum of 5mi/day (mostly walking), but it's the only thing that seems to releave the left over diabetic neuropathy...which is kicking my ass, but SLOWLY improving...if I do the roadwork.

It's strange because the tips of the toes burn more when I don't walk/run, and elevate the feet. It actually got worse when I got the blood sugar (and slightly high BP) back under control. When I stopped roadwork for a couple weeks it was keeping me from sleeping more than about 2hrs per night, in one hour increments. You would think the elevated feet would make the blood flow easier...as the heart isn't fighting gravity to return the blood uphill. But, maybe the small capillaries in the toes need that gravity pressure and roadwork. It does allow the burning and tingling to fade enough to sleep for 4-5hrs uninterupted...and they slowly feel better every morning...as long as I do the roadwork. I also do a cold-soak/hot-soak and vibrate them before bed.

I suspected the metformin (possible lactic acidosis side effects) so I cut that to zero after just a couple weeks, and control blood glucose 100% with diet. Good. That did eliminate the lactic-feeling muscle pain in my entire lower legs. Then it was just the burning at toe-tips. Then I suspected possibly gout so I'm careful about protein sources just to be safe. Vegetable based (beans), whey, eggs, milk.

Still the only thing seeming to help is daily roadwork.

Last edited by Tycon; 29 August 2017 at 18:29.

Our new posting rules