Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 19 September 2017, 09:23
Confirmed User

I haven't bought nor sold here, but the site is very well known in general. Yes, it is really called "Pinkbike"!

https://www.pinkbike[dot]com/buysell/

H
Old 20 September 2017, 12:35
#BlackRiflesMatter

So what's the best bang-for-the-buck on a "new" lightweight aluminum frame hardtail? (for mostly XC and some light technical).

I can upgrade the wheels later and such, and more importantly drop these last 10lbs of my own I carry around. I don't want "superwide" tires because I want to be able to find a commercially available standard replacement in South Podunk AZ. So, standard size width, but 29ers would be great. Standard schrader valves. Single front chainring. Disks, but not hydraulics. Quality components. Simplicity, and ease of parts and maintenance.

I'm starting to realize this is worth the investment in proper fit and finish.

Last edited by Tycon; 20 September 2017 at 12:56.
Old 20 September 2017, 12:44
Been There Done That

I would look at Pinkbike.com and explore the used section there. Tons of great deals.

My take on HT vs FS, is the same as forcefully relying on ironsights, when you can easily get a red dot optic. HT bikes suck and it's for guys who still believe that FS bikes don't lock out properly or are just too heavy, don't climb well, etc. All of which is disproven.

Don't think about upgrading. That's a money pit. Just buy a bike that will serve your needs right from the start and maybe add something like a dropper post and new tires. Once you start talking about new wheels, brakes, drive train components etc you're solidly losing money.

If you need help, I'll be happy to jump in.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 20 September 2017, 12:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
So what's the best bang-for-the-buck on a "new" lightweight aluminum frame hardtail? (for mostly XC and some technical).

I can upgrade the wheels later and such, and more importantly drop these last 10lbs of my own I carry around.

I'm starting to realize this is worth the investment in proper fit and finish.
Fit, yes. Finish, not so much. For something new that doesn't break the bank or fall apart, starting price is conservatively $500 (for light trail use; fire roads, etc). Go north from there. The more you spend the lighter it generally is and the better quality the components. For any significant riding, a new bike starts around $800, $900. For significant and hard, start around $1,200.

If I was to buy a new bike right now for the kind of riding I do, I would get a Trek (hate that word) X-Caliber 9 or Pro-Caliber 6, those are around $1,200-$1,600.

Used bikes, throw this out the window. I have seen $1,500 Cannondales go for $500 on Craigslist.

Edited to add, FS vs HT. I like HT; when I started, there were no suspension forks of any kind. I have ridden both and HT is my preference. People who don't know the difference usually like FS. It's apples/oranges. Whatever you like.
Old 20 September 2017, 12:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
I would look at Pinkbike.com and explore the used section there. Tons of great deals.

My take on HT vs FS, is the same as forcefully relying on ironsights, when you can easily get a red dot optic. HT bikes suck and it's for guys who still believe that FS bikes don't lock out properly or are just too heavy, don't climb well, etc. All of which is disproven.

Don't think about upgrading. That's a money pit. Just buy a bike that will serve your needs right from the start and maybe add something like a dropper post and new tires. Once you start talking about new wheels, brakes, drive train components etc you're solidly losing money.
I'll second Pinkbike.com. Bought my most recent HT frame from Chromag on there. Yes ML, I built a 26" hardtail from a bunch of components sitting around my garage!
Old 20 September 2017, 13:12
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger275 View Post
I built a 26" hardtail from a bunch of components sitting around my garage!
Was considering this as a fun option too. Might be the best way to afford a quality carbon fiber bike. Paycheck-to-paycheck kind of thing. Customized exactly how I want it from day one. That being said, I do just want to GTFO!

Quote:
...best bang-for-the-buck on a "new" lightweight aluminum (less $ than carbon) frame hardtail? (XC and some light technical). I don't want "superwide" tires, commercially available standard replacements, but 29ers. Standard schrader valves. Single front chainring. Disks, but not hydraulics. Quality components. Simplicity, and ease of parts and (side-of-the-road) maintenance.
Time to hit the shops today for some brand options/price quotes/proper sizing! REI seems big on Cannondale, and my favorite small local shop has a lot of stuff (starting with Fuji, and up from there).

Last edited by Tycon; 20 September 2017 at 13:41.
Old 20 September 2017, 13:56
#BlackRiflesMatter

Leaning toward Cannondale, Diamondback, and Trek right now, but not locked-in. I did hump a heavy-ass Treck 800 around with zero maintenance issues except tubes/tires/adjustments for 25years, that does say a lot. I beat the shit out of it, but finally got pissed at it when the youngsters flew by me on the way to work a couple years ago. LOL! Had to be that overloaded60lb bike, right!? LOL! Couldn't have been those 70lbs extra that (were) on my fat ass back then.

But, I'm not really locked into any brand loyalty (yet!).

I may even have to special order to get all the exact variables I want mentioned ^above. Or build it out of a new lightweight frame and various $35 thrift shop bikes shimano components.

Last edited by Tycon; 20 September 2017 at 14:17.
Old 20 September 2017, 14:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Leaning toward Cannondale, Diamondback, and Trek right now, but not locked-in. I did hump a heavy-ass Treck 800 around with zero maintenance issues except tubes/tires/adjustments for 25years, that does say a lot. I beat the shit out of it, but finally got pissed at it when the youngsters flew by me on the way to work a couple years ago. LOL! Had to be that overloaded60lb bike, right!? LOL! Couldn't have been those 70lbs extra that (were) on my fat ass back then.

But, I'm not really locked into any brand loyalty (yet!).

I may even have to special order to get all the exact variables I want mentioned ^above. Or build it out of a new lightweight frame and various $35 thrift shop bikes shimano components.
Building a bike is a helluva lot of fun. I did it with a road bike. It was serviceable but I would not certainly win any awards or races (never raced anyway).

RE: brands, today there are just a few companies. Trek owns Gary Fisher (I love me some GF), Electra, LaMond, Klein, and Bontrager (in-house parts brand). Dorel owns Cannondale, GT, Schwinn, and Mongoose.

So if you are brand snob, do your research.
Old 20 September 2017, 14:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
This is the best bang for buck option, if it's an option.
Old 20 September 2017, 19:55
The atomic zit

No mountain bike experience, except the $50 Schwinn that I bought for money owed for repair from the local shop.

I did build a BMX from scratch back in the early 80s. It was easy. If I wanted an honest to God mountain bike today, I would Frankenstein it.
Old 21 September 2017, 00:42
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I did build a BMX from scratch back in the early 80s. It was easy. If I wanted an honest to God mountain bike today, I would Frankenstein it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VkrUG3OrPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD6A2WTW0wM

I gotta order that dvd.

Last edited by Tycon; 21 September 2017 at 00:53.
Old 21 September 2017, 11:41
Been There Done That

If you want great value for your money, you have to go with the big three brands:

Trek, Specialized, and Giant.

They produce at a macro scale and therefore can slap all the good parts on their bikes at a much lower cost than some of the companies that others have mentioned here.

BLUF - buying a new bike is like buying a new car. If you care that much about the smell and being the first one who had his ass in the seat, good for you, but if you're like me, you don't care as long as it looks, works, and feels right...and you get to save upwards of 35% on a year old ride.

Also, you seem to really be bent on Carbon. That may have been the best deal in the 90's but nowadays the aluminum frames are excellent and weigh next to nothing. The main impact felt for a casual rider who wants to purchase a carbon frame is at the checkout.

Old 21 September 2017, 11:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger275 View Post
I'll second Pinkbike.com. Bought my most recent HT frame from Chromag on there. Yes ML, I built a 26" hardtail from a bunch of components sitting around my garage!
As long as I've known you, which is now quite some time, you have always had a real masochist side to you.

Old 21 September 2017, 14:16
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
If you want great value for your money, you have to go with the big three brands:

Trek, Specialized, and Giant.
Thank you ML!

This is what I needed to help with my list to take to the shop today. (see below)

Quote:
Also, you seem to really be bent on Carbon. That may have been the best deal in the 90's but nowadays the aluminum frames are excellent and weigh next to nothing. The main impact felt for a casual rider who wants to purchase a carbon frame is at the checkout.
I would have liked carbon just for the "cool factor" but can't justify it over lightweight aluminum unless I build from scratch. And I really want to do Sedona in a couple weeks (fall's perfect weather, autumn leaves, etc). Good photo opportunities.

So, I'm going to see what the local shop can do as far as this list of last years models (in my size):

1. lightweight aluminum hardtail for XC/some mild technical.
2. prefer 29er, but will take 27.5 if price is right.
3. prefer tubes/schrader valves for side-of-road repairs.
4. standard tire width for Podunk, AZ availability.
5. single front and small 7 gear +/- rear cassette, don't need 11.
6. shimano or equal components.

Back 50+lbs heavier! Carried mostly in the midsection.
Well, except after midnight.

Last edited by Tycon; 21 September 2017 at 14:46.
Old 21 September 2017, 14:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
6. shimano or equal components...
Shimano, SRAM etc., are just the brand names. Within there are different level of components - from very low (kids bike level) to stupidly high. Some are significantly better than others whilst others simply cut of .5gr but cost a lot more.
Old 21 September 2017, 14:36
Confirmed User

I do not have any experience with SRAM, but with Shimano you want at least XT groupset. You won't get much more out of XTR, and it is more experience, and XT will last a lifetime.

Good article that explains what's in a groupset:

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/art...oupsets-42578/

Regarding brands, now that several 'brands' are now owned by a handful of corporations, make sure you do your homework.
Old 21 September 2017, 15:01
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Regarding brands, now that several 'brands' are now owned by a handful of corporations, make sure you do your homework.
Thank you, and will do.

Just getting sized and some price quotes today. Still not giving up on a used possibility. Things always seem to fall in my lap within about two-three weeks of looking. Well, except for pistols (Davidson's lifetime guarantee), socks, and underwear...where I always seem to pay retail for new stuff. LOL!
Old 21 September 2017, 22:35
#BlackRiflesMatter

Anyone have any words on FUJI?

My local small shop seems to have invested heavily, and they have done good work in the past. I really wanted to push the FUji Tahoe 29er ($1200ish) out the door, but I was smart enough to leave all the cards at home. (LOL, seriously).

And their carbon SLM 2.1 (in a super-cool burnt Orange) really almost brought a tear to my eye.

I haven't had "the bug" this bad since I was a kid. Not even for HK stuff. LOL! How many mid-life crisis am I allowed...cuz I sill want a Vette eventually. I don't wanna blow it if I only get one. Do they even make a bike rack for a (burnt Orange) Vette? Bwahahaha...F#@k.

Last edited by Tycon; 21 September 2017 at 22:44.
Old 21 September 2017, 23:34
The Sagacious One

Never forget the conch cruiser. Here we find Sharky adjusting his, Uh "Kit".

Old 22 September 2017, 01:36
#BlackRiflesMatter

Shit, that's exactly what my old Trek looked like. Fk'n funny shit now.

25lbs weight total on that carbon Fuji. So bad, I can taste that MF. Hmmm, calling 401K? LOL!

Last edited by Tycon; 22 September 2017 at 01:44.

Our new posting rules