SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 22 September 2017, 05:43
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
Anyone have any words on FUJI?

I really wanted to push the FUji Tahoe 29er ($1200ish) out the door...
No experience whatsoever with Fuji. It looks like a decent bike and if the shop recommends it, it's a consideration. But, if you're looking in the $1k plus range, there are probably better options.

Most of my previous advice was based on you wanting a $600 HT. If you're more flexible on price then I suggest following some of the advice above.

** If you are in that price range, look for a gently used Trek Fuel or Giant Trance or similar. I think you can pull it off and probably walk away with a solid bike if you are patient and check the parts/maintenance very carefully.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 22 September 2017, 10:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
As long as I've known you, which is now quite some time, you have always had a real masochist side to you.
Just trying to keep things fun!

To be honest, 99% of what I ride these days consists of Midwest singletrack. Some guys get creative with the trail building, so you get some jumps and drops, but nothing too crazy.

I'd love to get back out west and ride where Tycon is talking about or back up in the PNW.
Old 22 September 2017, 10:34
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post

** If you are in that price range, look for a gently used Trek Fuel or Giant Trance or similar. I think you can pull it off and probably walk away with a solid bike if you are patient and check the parts/maintenance very carefully.

^ That's great advice and the exact type of bike I would have steered you toward.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 22 September 2017, 12:48
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger275 View Post
I'd love to get back out west and ride where Tycon is talking about or back up in the PNW.
That's why I'm starting to look at this as an investment in my health, and can easily rationalize that money being more beneficial invested in a serious bike than going up and down in the 401K stock market. I won't say I'm burned out on the run/walk daily roadwork (that I HAVE to do for neuropathy), but I've got to find some other stuff to get mentally excited about. And nothing like a little "air" time at 7000' to get the blood pumping to the feet. Some good uphills to scream back down.

Check out Schnebly Hill Road that is a 13mile drop into Sedona. It's partly blocked off from auto traffic for half the year and is full of AZ wildlife. More of a jeep trail, but perfect for a day on a mountain bike and camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc_wwmMHFmU

This shot is a view from about the halfway point...dropping down into Sedona. Gotta get back OUT! Sedona Back Trails, opportunities to see Javalina, Couger, Black Bear, Deer, Elk, Sheep, Antalope, Coyote, Wolf, and all the smaller AZ critters. Eagles, Hawks, Owls nesting areas. Got to get a GoPro too, I guess.

Last edited by Tycon; 22 September 2017 at 13:16.
Old 22 September 2017, 21:18
#BlackRiflesMatter

Did my thriftshop trapline today and found an old GT Aggressor 2.0 (aluminum hardtail) priced at $99, so it was right under $80 with my 20% "senior discount". LOL Looks almost unused, and MUCH lighter than the old steel Trek was. Probably about the 2/3 price as finding it on Craigslist, but way less hassle. I'm gonna guess it's about <35lbs. Basic entry level, but will work for Sedona in a couple weeks. Also looks like newer Rockshox fork upgrade, don't think those were stock. Now I can take my time, and at least have something with fat tires again to trash around with, in the meantime.

Still like that <25lb Fuji 29er (or equal). I'm not even close to done yet, but at least I can go trash the nearby riverbed, and play in the dirt. Learn what a front suspension is.

Last edited by Tycon; 22 September 2017 at 21:46.
Old 22 September 2017, 21:28
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Good find. I have Schwinn I paid $50 for at a local shop. I bought it for repair costs. Apparently the owner never picked it up.

It's never been on a trail, but nor have I. Though it did move me back-and-forth to work, when that was a reasonable ride.

If I decide to take it on a trail and it behaved like that Walmart Huffy; I will return to this thread.

Good luck.
Old 23 September 2017, 08:41
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Good find. I have Schwinn I paid $50 for at a local shop. I bought it for repair costs. Apparently the owner never picked it up.
This GT seems to be a good temporary solution, and will be a decent backup as well as something for friends to ride while visiting. I'm about 3 streets away from our interconnected network of dry-riverbed/irrigation canal network, so very easy to do some decent riding close by. Good practice for Sedona jeep trails, and a good mental break from roadwork anyway.

If this turns out to be all I need for XC/photo trips and jeep trails, I may look into a more "technical" (FS) medium-budget bike. I'm kind of like a bulldog (or maybe obbsessive-compulsive? LOL!) when I put my mind to something...so I'll likely end up with a small fleet before I'm through. Drives the wife crazy. Starting to like this semi-retired lifestyle. Very likely a little too much. LOL!
Old 23 September 2017, 09:13
#BlackRiflesMatter

For what it's worth I really want to thank SOCNET (all you folks) for helping me get my life back on track. I went through a pretty dark patch a few years back (parent's health issues) and was also well on my way (recently) to becoming a (diabetic) fat-mindless-corporate-ass-kisser. Thank god it was this place that helped me cut through the bullshit and mental beat-down and remind me who I was.

The fact that you guys put up with me (basically a "good natured" asshole at the most basic level) is not lost on me, and is what inspired me to GTFOutside (daily miles) and get back on track. I am starting to get that cocky-arrogant grin back...at fucking age 55+ no-less. Mostly from the brotherhood and inspiration found here.

It's beyond words.

Last edited by Tycon; 23 September 2017 at 09:27.
Old 23 September 2017, 09:39
Confirmed User

Congrats! I nice entry bike. Now go forth and wear it the hell out!
Old 25 September 2017, 15:50
#BlackRiflesMatter

Got it out to the nearby river bottom yesterday for the first ride (couple hours) to wring-it-out and make adjustments. Still looking for a tricked-out carbon fiber cheap (LOL! I know those words don't go together), but I sure can't complain about this rig essentially falling into my lap. Gears, breaks, all smooth. Seat needed adjustment (as you can see...although my units kinda liked the "forward rake").

Not bad for $89 invested (yeah I had the shop throw in a new front tube, for $9 installed! My local shop is awesome). LOL! Kinda exactly what I was looking for, at a smooth-running ~35lbs.

Last edited by Tycon; 25 September 2017 at 16:04.
Old 25 September 2017, 17:29
Anesthetized User

The didn't want to throw in the pink basket, bell on the handle bars and orange flag?
Was there something you left behind
Don't you remember

Support SOCNET.
Old 25 September 2017, 23:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
Got it out to the nearby river bottom yesterday for the first ride (couple hours) to wring-it-out and make adjustments. Still looking for a tricked-out carbon fiber cheap (LOL! I know those words don't go together), but I sure can't complain about this rig essentially falling into my lap. Gears, breaks, all smooth. Seat needed adjustment (as you can see...although my units kinda liked the "forward rake").

Not bad for $89 invested (yeah I had the shop throw in a new front tube, for $9 installed! My local shop is awesome). LOL! Kinda exactly what I was looking for, at a smooth-running ~35lbs.
That's awesome! Enjoy!
Old 26 September 2017, 01:32
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
The didn't want to throw in the pink basket, bell on the handle bars and orange flag?
I did actually get an awesome little lightweight bell for the handlebars yesterday, after I couldn't get around "obstacles" on the trail...Dude, I know she was "just a friend" but you couldn't have at least given her cab fare?

Last edited by Tycon; 26 September 2017 at 01:37.
Old 26 September 2017, 01:49
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Congrats! I nice entry bike. Now go forth and wear it the hell out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
That's awesome! Enjoy!
Thanks guys. It was pretty much exactly what I hoped to stumble across for XC. I also got a line on a pretty sweet <25lb Trek for more serious stuff, more pics later if they accept my offer tomorrow. Seems like I do have the "bug" bad. like OCD bad. Can't get enough.

Buying magazines and repair manuals, and shit. Out riding in the dark again last night at 10:30pm... "just up to the church, honey". LOL!

Last edited by Tycon; 26 September 2017 at 02:00.
Old 26 September 2017, 20:33
#BlackRiflesMatter

Okay, admitted serious Obsessive-Compulsive issues.

Grabbed this today for Sedona's abundance of technical shit. Got it for $389 for a <25lb bike. Can't wait to wring this one out (or more likely it will wring ME out!). No bell on the bars on this bitch, EPM.

For this stuff...(about 1.5hr away)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05MjV4rsazA

Last edited by Tycon; 26 September 2017 at 20:48.
Old 26 September 2017, 21:10
#BlackRiflesMatter

Lower Hangover looks pretty intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roSFR15K1eA
Old 1 October 2017, 13:54
#BlackRiflesMatter

GoPRO alternatives

So, you guys have figured out by now that I'm a cheap bastard thrift-shopping MF!

Hey, it's what us "semi-retired" dudes have to do. LOL! Pension, dogfood, etc.

So, before going out and buying a GoPro and the accessories, I thought I'd try my old Samsung S4 smartphone, and hack together some type of chest or helmet mount for it.

Here is a good starting point video, for anyone with similar smartphone "action mount" thoughts. Check out the use of the smartphone LED as an emergency headlamp as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKxbuX3DRjk
Old 2 October 2017, 07:19
Conquer Life.

Clever video. IMO, GoPro isn't worth the money. Never turns out nearly as cool as real-life and hard to show how nasty and steep the trails really are or how fast you crush them. I've taken several GoPro videos but never used them for anything.

Keep in mind that instead of buying 3 thrift-shop bikes you could buy one good one

Happy trails.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 2 October 2017, 10:03
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Keep in mind that instead of buying 3 thrift-shop bikes you could buy one good one Happy trails.
I think I'm good for now. Just need to put in the miles (and I have been...I'm 100% addicted again!). I'm also finding out again that the walking/running roadwork does not necessarily directly translate to increased bike miles, so this is turning into a GREAT compliment to that. And it's more friendly to the feet (healing neuropathy nerve damage from previous type2 issues) to alternate the roadwork with bike days instead of beating the shit out of them every single day. I'm taking Devildoc's wise advice.

I know there are nicer bikes out there ... and I had my eye on a nice new $2500 carbon framed rig from my local shop with all the trimmings. But, because of my strong desire for lightweight...(and the GTFO timeframe) I probably didn't even really give a full suspension bike a fair chance.

But, I'm happy! I'm <$500 into this, and I've ended up with a couple reliable HT's that are exactly what I was looking for. A mint condition <35lb XC bike for jeep trail photography, and a mint condition <25lb technical for (eventually) more serious Sedona stuff.

I'll still keep my eye out for the fancy carbon 29er to fall into my "trapline" for a song (LOL!), but right now it's all about GTFO and getting the miles! And, of course the photos and videos! I'll still probably rent a full suspension (with a proper guide) just to try it out for Sedona's technical stuff, but after humping that heavy old steel frame rigid around for years, these lightweight HTs both feel pretty sweet! Like pushing around a feather in comparison.

Last edited by Tycon; 2 October 2017 at 10:33.
Old 2 October 2017, 10:28
Nexus Schemer

Ive been watching this cameras. Might be a good idea

https://www.firefold.com/camera-sjcam-sj4000

I have an older GoPro for scuba diving. I’m thinking about using one of these as an upgrade. Appears that it fits most the same housings

Our new posting rules