SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 14 December 2017, 10:07
Drawing my cutlass

Question Exercise induced bronchoconstriction (asthma)

Anyone suffer from this? I just heard of it yesterday from a pro motorcross athlete and his description matched some of the physiological issues I go through when I push hard on my runs or do a timed set of body weight exercises.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 14 December 2017, 11:17
Authorized Personnel

Had it since I was 13..

It is not asthma in the sense you will have a random attack or just be sitting there and have an attack. You can perform at high levels as long as you hit the inhaler for some pufs prior to or during exertion.

Allergies (cats etc) extremely cold weather or lots of dust can set it off also.

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 14 December 2017, 12:33
Drawing my cutlass

^^^^Thanks. I'll ask my cardio doc next week about it and see if he either recommends an inhaler or refers me to another doc.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 14 December 2017, 13:00
Confirmed User

I was diagnosed with it after I punched out of service.
I went to the allergy Dr because I was starting to have some issues with my allergies and wanted to start taking allergy shots. Did the breathing test and scored great and I explained to the Dr my issues sometime while running and doing sports. He said that I had athletic asthma and the shots would not really help with that much except if I was exercising where there was something I was allergic to. He said that he could prescribe me a inhaler but once he did I most likely would not be able to go back into the service it I wanted to.
Like Sltwtr1 state above, I borrowed my girl friends inhaler before one of my long runs and boy what a difference. A few years later I ended up getting a inhaler but hardly use it.
At the time I was tested I was running 5 minute miles without the inhaler and after use with inhaler was finishing same times but was not bending over gasping for air when finished and had a little gas still in the tank.
Old 14 December 2017, 15:51
Never to old to learn

I have asthma an inhaler I use now that I am in the over the hill gang I don't have to use it that much, have it with me all the time.

I learned a long time ago when doing the P.T test, I would put lemon drop candy in my mouth, to suck on while running. What i learned is the sugar in the blood system helped produce oxygen (DON"T ask me how I don't know) My Doctor told me this. It worked. When I went Deer & Elk hunting Idaho Mt. I carried it all the time, get short winded I would pop one or two of the lemon drops in my mouth go up an down the MT's .

Last edited by wildman43; 14 December 2017 at 15:52. Reason: wording
Old 14 December 2017, 17:08
Supporterator

I brought this up to a unit PA once. He advised me to keep mum.. so I did.
Old 21 December 2017, 06:01
BTDT

Primatene or Bronkaid - as an added bonus, it will help lean you out if in a caloric deficit (Ephedrine HCL or Sulfate). Check your local Pharmacy (some freedom hating states ban all Ephedrine products).
Old 21 December 2017, 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
^^^^Thanks. I'll ask my CARDIO doc next week about it and see if he either recommends an inhaler or refers me to another doc.
Absolutely ask, as both steroid and bronchodilator inhaler ingredients may have negative cardiovascular effects and might be relatively contraindicated vs severity of your resp symptoms. Frequency of use might be an important factor to discuss.

Good luck!
DaveP
Old 21 December 2017, 09:25
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Primatene or Bronkaid - as an added bonus, it will help lean you out if in a caloric deficit (Ephedrine HCL or Sulfate). Check your local Pharmacy (some freedom hating states ban all Ephedrine products).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Absolutely ask, as both steroid and bronchodilator inhaler ingredients may have negative cardiovascular effects and might be relatively contraindicated vs severity of your resp symptoms. Frequency of use might be an important factor to discuss.

Good luck!
DaveP
Thanks. Going to the doc today. Hopefully, I'll bring back some good information to share.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 21 December 2017, 14:46
Drawing my cutlass

Just got back from the doc. Explained my symptoms to him and he told me that unless I'm wheezing after four or five minutes of hard exercise (I'm not) that an inhaler is not called for. He then reviewed the nuclear stress test I took in February and the results indicate a high capacity for exercise.

So the bottom line, in my layman's opinion, is I'm just getting old and to suck it up.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy

Our new posting rules