SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 8 November 2008, 17:11
shiver me timbers

Here is the ball end of my femur, this part looked sort of okay they said, the major damage was in the acetabulas (sp), which I believe is part of the socket.
Old 8 November 2008, 17:22
Banned 26FEB10

I hope they let you keep that a a souvenir!

Heal quickly..
Old 22 April 2009, 17:05
shiver me timbers

Update: They aspirated my hip last Friday to see why it still hurts so much, turns out it is infected and I will be getting new hardware installed tomorrow.

At least I now know how the rehab is; I left it the first time on good terms with my PT guy, so maybe he will take it easy on me this time. Yeah right.

This will be the third surgery on this hip, so hopefully the third time's the charm.
Old 22 April 2009, 18:28
Baggage handler

That really sucks, I'm sorry. What does the doctor say about the infection? I'm assuming that you're on antibiotics now.

My Mom's knee replacement was infected right after surgery. They put her on IV antibiotics for almost two weeks and it cleared up, so she didn't have to have another replacement.
Old 22 April 2009, 19:00
Confirmed User

Ex,

What is your activity level like after the knee replacements? What are you doing for cardio? I am facing a knee replacement soon.
Old 22 April 2009, 19:33
shiver me timbers

Ex: The docs are going to replace the current hip with an antibiotic spacer, I am not exactly sure what it is, I do know in three months I will have to go back and get the real titanium hardware put back in.

I was on IV antibiotics for 6 weeks after the second surgery to clean out the infection I had then (mid November 2008). I had a Pic (sp) line inserted into the large vein in the inside of the upper part of my right arm, and had to administer two 'bags' of antiobiotic goo a day through this pic line.

I also had a bunch of saline and heparin syringe-type things to cleanse the line and keep it open. Basically it was a tube with a fitting on the end through which I could administer the meds and for the visiting nurse to draw blood from once a week.

I know it could always be worse, I am just getting tired of not having mobility and this forced retirement. I do have the MLB package so I guess I will be getting my money's worth.
Old 22 April 2009, 20:53
Baggage handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltrane View Post
Ex: The docs are going to replace the current hip with an antibiotic spacer, I am not exactly sure what it is, I do know in three months I will have to go back and get the real titanium hardware put back in.

I was on IV antibiotics for 6 weeks after the second surgery to clean out the infection I had then (mid November 2008). I had a Pic (sp) line inserted into the large vein in the inside of the upper part of my right arm, and had to administer two 'bags' of antiobiotic goo a day through this pic line.

I also had a bunch of saline and heparin syringe-type things to cleanse the line and keep it open. Basically it was a tube with a fitting on the end through which I could administer the meds and for the visiting nurse to draw blood from once a week.

I know it could always be worse, I am just getting tired of not having mobility and this forced retirement. I do have the MLB package so I guess I will be getting my money's worth.
Holy sh*t. You've had a rough go of it. My understanding of the spacer is that you won't be able to bend your hip at all, is that right? I'll be praying for you, I know how tough this has to be on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo King View Post
Ex,

What is your activity level like after the knee replacements? What are you doing for cardio? I am facing a knee replacement soon.
I'm good to go. I've been racing walking six miles three or four times per week. I'm thinking of trying to do a marathon - my surgeon signed off on it. I also cycle 18 miles twice a week. And of course I weight train, too. I wish I was able to practice yoga, but I can't do more than the most basic positions. I'm not going to say my knees are good as new, but I'm not in pain anymore. They still ache sometimes, but that's due to the muscles and ligaments pulling the joint ever so slightly out of place. Stretching is very, very important.
Good luck with your surgery. If possible, find a surgeon that performs 'minimally invasive' replacements. The benefit is the quad isn't cut, so your recovery is much faster.
Old 23 April 2009, 21:31
0311/8651

i know of a hall of fame powerlifter who is back up to 600# squats after hip replacement.
Old 23 April 2009, 21:55
Confirmed User

Anyone have real world experience with the rehab time after a hip replacement? Everything I have read so far says 4-8 weeks.

I've been putting off having mine done but the time is approaching rapidly and I'd like to get an idea of how long I am gonna be down for.
Old 25 April 2009, 17:33
shiver me timbers

Here is my souvenir from my recent surgery. I am thinking the longer part would make a good shifter knob for maybe a B&M shifter for my next project car. Maybe 2011 for that.

I have the temporary hip in now, I can bend it, but it's not more than 50% weight bearing, so I am on crutches for the next three months until they put a new permanent hip in.

Turns out it was infected pretty badly, I am also back on the IV antibiotics for the next six weeks. So Floyd, for me the rehab is going to end up at pretty close to a year. I hope your results differ greatly.
Old 25 April 2009, 17:53
Baggage handler

I'm glad that surgery is behind you. You seem to have a great attitude. I hope the next three months go quickly for you!
Old 14 September 2009, 18:11
shiver me timbers

Well, last thursday I got my third (and hopefully final) permanent hip replacement. The surgery went well, and while I am wiped the F out, I am happy that this will be the last of any of this type of stuff for me for the next 15 or so years.
Old 15 September 2009, 07:58
Confirmed User

Please keep this updated with your rehab progress, I'm real interested in following your progress and any tips you may have for the recovery.

Hope all goes well for you
Old 30 September 2009, 10:37

El,
I'm new here & will mostly just listen up... but maybe I can help this one time,had mine done 3yrs.ago,(mine was really bad)had Min.invasive,Titanium ball.etc.Any questions just ask & I will try to answer.I have mine checked every yr(for 5 yrs.)Here's something they DON'T tell you....most THR'S need it redone in 15-19 yrs.My Dr.told me with what they did too me...see him in 30yrs.& we will talk about it!
Jim
Old 6 October 2009, 13:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Good to read that the recovery is going well and some great info here

I too am looking at having a total hip replacement done within the next year or so.
I'm 38 yrs old got into a car accident when I was 22yrs old ironically on my way home from a jump. No problem jumping from a Huey at 2000 ft but couldnt make the drive home.

Fell asleep at the wheel hit another car head on (they were fine) the dash came in, hit my knee shoving my femur back breaking my hip socket. I dislocated my hip extricating myself from the car. Since my hip was dislocated the lack of blood flow killed off part of the ball on the femur. Been toughing it out for a long time now but I think it's getting to be about time to get this stuff fixed.
I have friends who were walking fine after a month from hip replacement.

My self was a femor after being T-Boned on an old VW Beetle. recovery 2 1/2 years plus. Walking cycling swimming is about 70%, not running which I love.
Old 6 October 2009, 14:48
shiver me timbers

I am walking a half mile every day now, try to do a few more steps every time. It completely empties my tank, but so what right? Nothing to it, but to freakin do it.
Old 6 October 2009, 15:41
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

I've never had that surgery, but lately i've had some other serious health problems.. I'm right there with in spirit brother. Just take it one day at a time and you'll start feeling better. My sister in law had her hip replaced about 3 years ago due to a tumor, she's doing fantastic and she's overweight.

While my wife and I were painting this weekend I took down the picture I had done when I was fresh out of boot camp and in School at San Diego. Had it done at the YMCA on Broadway for my parents... I keep looking in disbelief at the guy in the mirror compared to that young stud in his crackerjacks.. Its hell to get old
Old 15 January 2010, 01:35
Confirmed User

Bumping this back up

I'm scheduled for a total left hip replacement this coming Wednesday. Getting a newer material called Oxinium, at 39yrs old my doc says this is my best shot at only having to have one surgery last me the rest of my life.
Old 15 January 2010, 01:40
shiver me timbers

Good luck to you Floyd. I am walking a mile 2x a day. I finish both times tasting pennies, but I guess you just have to do it. Best wishes for a fast and complete recovery.
Old 15 January 2010, 01:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltrane View Post
Good luck to you Floyd. I am walking a mile 2x a day. I finish both times tasting pennies, but I guess you just have to do it. Best wishes for a fast and complete recovery.
Thanks.

Our new posting rules