SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 30 March 2011, 08:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatLasagna View Post
So, members of SOCNET, what is the concensus on a nice pair of "casual" sunglasses? I'm looking for something that doesn't scream "I'm military" (ie not Oakleys) or "I'm a giant douche" (ie not.. well I don't want to offend anyone )...but still of course looks cool
check out this site: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beQQFFG1G8R7gl

nice looking and functional for shooting and any activity that could cause eye injury...
Old 30 March 2011, 13:18
Not Dead? Don't Quit!

Wiley X, I use ones with transitioning lenses for shooting and I'm a big fan of Dragons
Thereís a difference between interest and commitment. When youíre interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When youíre committed to something, you accept no excuses...only results
Old 30 March 2011, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
A few months back I was given a set of Rudy Project glasses. It came in a zippered hardcase and 3 different lenses. Two of the lenses are Photochromic and they are simply bad ass. I have been wearing them for everything I do. Shooting, driving and hiking. Needless to say my Oakleys have been retired.
I've got two sets of Rudy Projects, both with the clear photochromic lenses. Excellent sunglasses! Rudy also has a military/LE pro deal that'll get you about 40% off. I think the coupon code is "services."
Old 26 July 2011, 14:24
Ne Obliviscaris

I am a long time Oakley customer and have always went back to Oakley after being let down by other sunglasses such as Prada or Ray Ban. Anyway, they have a new line called the Infinite Hero Collection. It seems $20 of every purchase goes to The Infinite Hero Foundation. http://infinitehero.org/about/
I searched and found nothing on it here but from the link above it looks pretty solid. Maybe someone here has better gouge than me. I think I might order a pair or two. Not too crazy about the purple incorporated in each model to pay homage to the PH...but hey I'm secure in my heterosexuality and it's for a good cause.
Old 28 July 2011, 14:46

i'd go with Numa. they can take a pretty good deal of punishment but aren't too common in the military community. i picked up a pair of Riders with the polarized dark, rose and clear lenses and they've suited my every need.
http://www.numaoptics.com
Old 28 July 2011, 15:32
Anesthetized User

Monster Dogs

Still rollin the same pair from 2005. Big enough to fit my huge head.

http://www.oakley.com/products/1236/2567
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47ebdcf0b6057.jpg (12.0 KB, 490 views)

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 26 August 2011, 03:26
Been There Done That

Love the Wiley's with the head band in sandy environs or for sticking out of a turret.

For everything else I like Maui Jim's because of the optical clarity, incredible poarization and the dark amber lens is the goods.
Old 29 August 2011, 03:24
Confirmed User

These are the way to go:

http://dillonoptics.com/Store_Department.aspx?D=1
Old 14 September 2011, 13:11
Been There Done That

The Oakley Infinite Hero line is pretty sharp. Normally the Oakley standard issue program does not sell anything but black, grey, subdued type frames and lenses, but as this is a limited edition model these glasses are a bit less tactical. Check out the Infinite Hero Split Jacket they feature Oakley's new SwitchLock interchangeable lens technology.

http://www.oakley.com/products/6746/25164
Old 10 October 2011, 21:47

I want to purchase a set of prescription tactical goggles, and I've searched this thread and found some information about shades, but I'm interested in tactical goggles. I've found two popular but different alternatives: the ESS Advancer V12 and the WileyX SG-1, which I did read once about in this thread and I've seen in the field.

The ESS frames appear to win on versatility, as they can change from ventilated to sealed, whereas the WileyX either come ventilated or not, and I cannot change back and forth. They can also adjust to fit over a helmet. MAJOR DRAWBACK: the prescription lenses are not the exterior lenses themselves, but instead a separate pair of lenses fitted on a rack which attaches on the inside of the middle of the frames. These lenses ARE NOT fitted to the exterior lenses. This appears cumbersome to me, and at this point I prefer the WileyX frames because the prescription lenses would snap in place just like original lenses.

Does anyone here have experience with either of these two frames? At this point I'm just gonna get the WileyX goggles. I read somewhere the lenses fall out, but that was only one review.
Old 1 November 2011, 11:24
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Liquid Eyewear Players with the Hellfire LTD transitional lenses. In my job where Im in a building then out in the sun and then back in a building these glasses are perfect.

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 8 December 2011, 02:53

I have had more pairs of M frames issued to me than I can count. (ok like 5.) They are big, ugly and work exceptionally well.
Old 22 December 2011, 08:03
Confirmed User

I bought some Wiley X Revolvr about 4 months ago. The best casual/multi purpose shades I have had in a long time. Chrystal clear and comfortable whether veggin' out or at the range.
Old 22 December 2011, 22:43
Migratory Coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray66 View Post
I bought some Wiley X Revolvr about 4 months ago. The best casual/multi purpose shades I have had in a long time. Chrystal clear and comfortable whether veggin' out or at the range.
How are they for guys with large heads? I was once accused of looking like a Blow Pop before I hit high school and the weight room and due to that I have real trouble finding comfortable shades.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 23 December 2011, 00:14
Authorized Personnel

As a long time Oakley customer, I have recently become disappointed with their quality. I spent $250 on a custom pair for the wife and the lens coating peeled and flaked. I had to pay to repair an obvious manufacturing flaw after 13 months. Unsat.
The lenses on the last 2 pair seem to have been easily scratched. Looking for another company to spend my money with.
Old 23 December 2011, 13:52
Nec Aspera Terrent

I had the same problem with my 2005 model Half Jacket XLJ's. Did you leave them resting on your hair frequently? When I visited the Oakley Store here, back in '09 and ask WTF - I was told that leaving sweat and body oils on them could eventually cause that to happen. Basically, give them a quick wipe, use the cleaning solution they sell and you are good.

For the last three years, I have had Flak Jackets, the military M Frames and Radars. Following the advice they told me, and just bagging them if I ain't going to use them for a bit has kept them from falling apart.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 23 December 2011, 14:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
I had the same problem with my 2005 model Half Jacket XLJ's. Did you leave them resting on your hair frequently? When I visited the Oakley Store here, back in '09 and ask WTF - I was told that leaving sweat and body oils on them could eventually cause that to happen. Basically, give them a quick wipe, use the cleaning solution they sell and you are good.

For the last three years, I have had Flak Jackets, the military M Frames and Radars. Following the advice they told me, and just bagging them if I ain't going to use them for a bit has kept them from falling apart.
I have a few different pairs of these (work/PT/yard work) all in various states; they normally get moved down the chain when I get a new pair. The current top of the list is almost three years old and (knock on wood) still in great shape. I try to avoid wiping them down, but every so often I'll wash them with dish or hand soap in the sink to get the dirt & grease off of them.
Old 23 December 2011, 16:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post

I'm quite obsessive about properly cleaning my glasses and got her a cleaning kit as well. Its possible that she left them in her hair but I had her clean them frequently.
Old 10 February 2012, 10:46
On the Extract Bird

Do any of you guys own Randolph Engineering sunglasses? I've never owned any, but they claim to be handmade in the USA and have been a DoD contractor:
http://www.randolphusa.com/product-c...es/sunglasses/

I drop my sunglasses all the time, so for me, glass lenses are a must. Right now I have a pair of Serengetis the wife got me on sale from (I think) Sierra Trading Post. Also had good luck with Ray-Bans (made in Italy now, not USA) and Carerras.
Old 24 February 2012, 00:55
Been There Done That

Check out the revision Vipertails......
If you guys want a discount code I can post one for those who want to pick some up...
Pd

Our new posting rules