SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 21 May 2002, 16:28
Confirmed User

The SOCNET sunglasses thread....

In the movie Black Hawk Down, they had Delta Operator "Hoot", wearing Oakley X-Metal Juliet sunglasses. I don't think those were around back in 93.

Very cool sunglasses though.
"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever. If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me. I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, form the beginning of revenge upon the enemy..." -Deuteronomy 32: 39-42
Old 21 May 2002, 16:38
Mad Slasher

Prototype.
Old 21 May 2002, 21:59
Authorized Personnel

Yeah, SF guys are sponsored by Oakley. They get all the new gear years ahead of time to try it out. Just like the Japanese. My unit is sponsored by Gatorade and Power Bar, along with Hustler of course.
Old 18 July 2002, 11:53
This space for rent

Funny ass thread!! Glad I opened it up.

BTW, do you guys that are sponsored by Gatorade or Oakley or whoever, do you have to put their name on the back of your rucksack or anything??? :D
Old 30 July 2002, 17:21
Where did my nose go?

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Caveman
Funny ass thread!! Glad I opened it up.

BTW, do you guys that are sponsored by Gatorade or Oakley or whoever, do you have to put their name on the back of your rucksack or anything??? :D
No, it's a permanant sponsorship. They pay for tatoo space. It really hurt when I got the profalactic endorsement.
Old 31 July 2002, 10:29
Mad Slasher

Jeez I always thought that was a donut being lifted by a helo on your pic, turns out it's a condom all along.
Old 21 February 2003, 12:53
mts
Visitor

The SOCNET sunglasses thread....

What type of sunglasses are most popular with the people who frequent this website? And why are they the most popular type?
Old 21 February 2003, 13:04
Old Scroll

The kind that sit on your nose, hooks on your ears, and shades your eyes.

Why? Because anything else would be absurd.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 21 February 2003, 13:23
Authorized Personnel

I like the square black ones. They're the shit.

Old 17 March 2003, 00:37
Confirmed User

The search button is a wonderful tool.

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/sear...der=descending
Old 13 June 2003, 16:59
nelson6603
Visitor

Oakleys M series?

Anyone know about the line of Oakley M frames thats out right now...the SI issue? Anybody own a pair, are they worth $90.00?

I have read that some police dept.s issue them to the SRT teams, anybody in the service using them?

I have read that they are ballistc proven, but then again I have never had a gun come apart in my face. How about comfort for all day wearing?
Old 13 June 2003, 20:29
DFC5343
Visitor

Go buy a pair and find out for yourself. All Oakley products are good to go.
Old 14 June 2003, 01:57
nelson6603
Visitor

Perhaps I will invest the money on a pair, remains to be seen.
I was looking for an objective view.

I sense some attitude.
Old 14 June 2003, 02:27
DFC5343
Visitor

Nope a little friendly from someone...shall we say...knows?

BTW...www.oakley.com
Old 23 January 2004, 00:09
Authorized Personnel

Sunglasses on patrol?

I've been reading on TF forums and Lightfighter about prefered sunglasses for military use. Oakley seems to be the number one choice in manufacturer due to optical clarity and safety.(I like the design idea of Wiley X SG-1 but have read some less than glowing reports about the lenses. Any Oakley models with a strap vs. arms? If so, I cannot find them.) I am, however,more intersted in the effects of different lenses when moving from bright light to shadow/dark. Are there preferred lenses that make the eye adjustments less dramatic without interfering with your vision? Are certain colored lenses to be avoided? Contrast is also a concern. In MOUT you may have to enter a dark building while patrolling in the mid-day sun. Wooded areas, depending on foliage density, present changes as well though probably not as sudden as in MOUT. Snow and sun make sunglasses a necessity. Are sunglasses on patrol discouraged in wooded areas? They were several years ago IIRC. Some of my concernes come about because I see such a variety of cheap, shitty eyewear being used. Gas station crap sometimes. Safety is an issue. What is the best, military use, "GP" lens and what should I avoid? I would do the research on my own but the thought of buying four pair of $100+ glasses tends to discourage me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Is this a dumb question? I have been unable to find the answer elsewhere and would appreciate the input of those that have BTDT.

Last edited by e5wsf; 23 January 2004 at 21:10.
Old 4 February 2004, 19:20

sunglasses

the only person i ever saw wear sunglasses on patrol, was a Sgt. of mine of course he spent the good money to get the one that had the lenses that changed from clear in dark places to dark in bright places, nobody else in our section wore them.
Old 5 February 2004, 18:20
Authorized Personnel

Re: sunglasses

Quote:
Originally posted by NAVALGUNFIRE
nobody else in our section wore them.
Just the goggles in the desert then?? Glasses for the HSLD only?
Old 5 February 2004, 21:20

i jnormally just used clear lenses and switched to a shooter's yellow towards dusk.

sometimes when i got tired of squinting i used a grey lens during the day. if i had to go inside i just took off the eyepro...not the best solution but better than not being able to see. once i did that i usually felt like i was a dumbass for not wearing eyepro which made me use clear lenses exclusively after that...for a while...until i got tired of squinting in the sunlight...

However,

the moral of this story is that there is NO universal solution to anything. EVERYTHING is about making tradeoffs according to METT-T. Just make your call and then live with it. The trick is to not spend unnessary time hand-wringing if the situation changes....recognize immediately that your COA isn't working and don't be afraid to switch....then when it's all over do an AAR and move on...
Old 5 February 2004, 21:59
Authorized Personnel

abc123,
Gotcha on the hand-wringing. I'm one of those that has to know every pro/con of something like this. It's all about function. Thanks for the input gents.
Old 6 February 2004, 14:35
Confirmed User

The simple answer from our side of the pond is don't - at least not on PSO/IS Ops. If you're wearing sunglasses you cannot keep and maintain eye contact with the CivPop.

On the other hand for driving/snow you need something. Personally I've used Oakleys for years. As abc123 said - adapt to the situation.

Our new posting rules