SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 29 May 2012, 09:41
Firearm Industry Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
No compensation for PAC clerk who was all nervous and shit at Bagram.
Agree on your whole post.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 29 May 2012, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
This is a sensitive subject around here as you can see. I will allow the thread to continue as long as it stays professional, but since the extent of YOUR service is limited to the Merchant Marines, I suggest that you tread lightly. My ears ring also, to the point that I will probably need hearing aids before I am 45, and I have never filed for any compensation whatsoever, nor will I. And I would guess that my ears ring for a very different reason than yours. As I said, tread lightly if you want to continue to enjoy this site.
Thanks for the evenhanded reply. I didn't start this thread to talk about me. I'm 59 and injured my hearing by screaming engine exposure since 1970.Those who imply USMM haven't served don't deserve a response, we have, we do, it's recorded.
I have counselled numerous Navy personnel in alcoholism and drug dependancy trouble-(NAS CC, NAS Kingsville, and pre BRAC NS INGLESIDE) some of which was perhaps PTSD related. Since I'm not on the gov't payroll, some here might say I'm not serving. Helping those young sailors to stand on their own feet is reward sufficient.
Old 29 May 2012, 10:04
Morte et une dame

I know a gentleman who claims PTSD from loading bombs on aircraft (aircraft carrier duty) and seeing the planes come back without ordinance.
He claims nightmares from the perceptions of what those bombs did.
I can't 'see it', but who am I to judge?
Old 29 May 2012, 10:17
Firearm Industry Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
At the risk of being judgemental, that's fucking horse-feathers.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 29 May 2012, 10:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
I know a gentleman who claims PTSD from loading bombs on aircraft (aircraft carrier duty) and seeing the planes come back without ordinance.
That's not the first time I have heard that one while working for the VFW as the State Service Officer. The worst story from a vet that came in saying he had PTSD was assigned to a Truck Company in VN. I asked him what did he do run VC/NV over with his trucks.... I threw both these bums out the door.
I never heard so many lies....
Old 29 May 2012, 11:03
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normex View Post
Thanks for the evenhanded reply. I didn't start this thread to talk about me. I'm 59 and injured my hearing by screaming engine exposure since 1970.Those who imply USMM haven't served don't deserve a response, we have, we do, it's recorded.
I have counselled numerous Navy personnel in alcoholism and drug dependancy trouble-(NAS CC, NAS Kingsville, and pre BRAC NS INGLESIDE) some of which was perhaps PTSD related. Since I'm not on the gov't payroll, some here might say I'm not serving. Helping those young sailors to stand on their own feet is reward sufficient.

Im not denigrating your service in any way but understand that most of the folks discussing this on this board have been shot at, or blown up, or have closed with and killed the enemy, many have been through all of the above and then some. This isnt a board for "fans of SOF" it is a board provided by SOF guys for SOF guys. Everyone else is a visitor. Your service is most appreciated, but service in the USMM is in a different category than what is the norm here. In that context I am sure you can see how your post could be taken as offensive and you sound like a reasonable guy so I dont expect to have any further problems.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 29 May 2012, 11:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normex View Post
We probably know each other or at least have acquaintances in common. I'm doing the same job at Navy Medical Center Portsmouth. I didn't imply that USMM didn't serve, I stated you didn't. This isn't WWII. You can't hold the service of a deck seaman on a warship to an AB or OS in the MM, never mind that of a Mate or a Master. Just like you can't compare that same deck seaman's service to that of some of the other people in this thread. There's no equivalence. I'm familiar enough with all of those things to say this with confidence. It's just not cool for you to roll your eyes at something you don't know about.

That said, I was unneccesarily blunt in my response to you. If I had it to do over again, I would have responded in a different manner. I apologize.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 29 May 2012, 11:16
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

I served in peace time, never saw combat. I however did suffer severe hearing loss due to my time in ASW Communication Centers with speakers blaring Air to Ground all the time.. and in P3's with no hearing protection. I was sent to the Army hospital in Landstuhl for a hearing evaluation because my division officer was tired of YELLING and me not hearing him.

I was granted a small, service connected disability rating. But...I'll tell you flat out that when I see guys coming into the VA clinic or hospital with Amputations or disfiguring injuries.. it HUMBLES me greatly. I often think "They deserve this care a helluva lot more than I do". It also breaks my heart to know some who truly need it.. dont get it.

But this many PTSD claims with that small of a percentage of door kickers? Something is not quite right there. Something peculiar though.. when I went through the VA system intake after I had answered all the questions the doctor said I had "Markers" for PTSD and asked if I wanted help.. I said "No Thank you".. Maybe the VA has caused some of its own problems no?
Old 29 May 2012, 11:39
Morte et une dame

I can top that one.
I know a fellow who collects compensation for PTSD.
I asked him where/when he served. He said "Korea".
(Now just a second... he's younger than I am; that had to be peacetime service.)
"Yeah", he said, "but I was standing guard on the DMZ when I saw a Soldier beheaded for trying to cut down a tree."

Oy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
At the risk of being judgemental, that's fucking horse-feathers.
Old 29 May 2012, 12:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
Absolutely. I meant that if someone doesn't have their leg amputated, then they don't get to claim that the ankle sprain they got at MCT rates the same compensation.

Also I think there are a lot of variables that should take be considered and currently are not, such as conditions of service. I don't like the idea of paying for disability for someone that got hurt from a drunk driving wreck while on active duty. But I digress.
I gotcha. I knew your intent, but I wanted to just toss it out there. I agree that idiots should not be compensated for doing silly shit. I was at Walter Reed with a fellow TBI patient, only his was caused by getting drunk and jumping off a third-story barracks floor in garrison. The dude will get a paycheck for the rest of his life. He is literally getting paid for being a jackass. They need to be weeded out.
Old 29 May 2012, 12:28
Been There Done That

Originally Posted by SOW_0331
"Absolutely. I meant that if someone doesn't have their leg amputated, then they don't get to claim that the ankle sprain they got at MCT rates the same compensation.

Also I think there are a lot of variables that should take be considered and currently are not, such as conditions of service. I don't like the idea of paying for disability for someone that got hurt from a drunk driving wreck while on active duty. But I digress."

I started working for Veterans right after i retired in 2003. The VA told us back then they were rewriting USC 38, especially chapters 1-4. Still have not seen the end product yet... The VA seems to only "fix" whatever Congress and the Senate tells them to do. I thought when the Gen got put in charge of that place he would of straightened things out.

In reference to the guy that jumped off the barracks, his Line of Duty Investigation should of came back negligent, not in the line of duty and that should of stopped him from getting any VA disability comp. But once again someone did not do his/her job.
Old 29 May 2012, 13:00
Unemployed Stunt Double

This is the best thread ever...
Old 29 May 2012, 16:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
know a gentleman who claims PTSD from loading bombs on aircraft (aircraft carrier duty) and seeing the planes come back without ordinance.
I will pass judgement. The judgement is "faggot".

Somewhere there is probably a powerpoint presentation that says I can't use that word anymore. But I haven't seen it. Because I'm not a loser.
Old 29 May 2012, 19:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
I will pass judgement. The judgement is "faggot".

Somewhere there is probably a powerpoint presentation that says I can't use that word anymore. But I haven't seen it. Because I'm not a loser.
I agree with this post in its entirety, except for the faggoty smiley face.

ussfpa
Quote:
The primary purpose of a disability PAYMENT is to assist in closing the gap between earnings you would have made were you not injured, and lesser monies you now earn DUE TO YOUR DISABILITY.
Exactly.
Old 29 May 2012, 22:10
Been There Done That

Some of the comments in this thread seem to say that there are vets who need VA benefits more than those who are currently receiving them. That could be so, but no one’s stopping them from applying for them if they want/need them. VA has procedures for categorizing and prioritizing different types of claims with the goal of ensuring those most in need are taken care of in a timely manner. One thing people need to understand is that most of these priorities are subject to change based on politics, depending on what the hot issue of the day is, such as homeless veterans.

Amputees that rehabilitate themselves and can run marathons, ski, skydive, etc., are still considered disabled under the law. While they may be able to do some extraordinary things, they still have “loss of use” of certain body parts. Since the VA only applies the law, people are free to lobby Congress to change the law. An amputee’s special prosthetic may enable him to run, but whether he is able to be gainfully employed with that disability, along with any others he may have, is the real issue. Besides, military service, especially in a combat zone, is not the same as working in corporate America, volunteer or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
In reference to the guy that jumped off the barracks, his Line of Duty Investigation should of came back negligent, not in the line of duty and that should of stopped him from getting any VA disability comp. But once again someone did not do his/her job.
Exactly. The VA is not obligated to honor any LODs done by the military. We routinely make “administrative decisions” on cases of injury due to negligence. I have “written out” several veterans whose injuries, some horrific and life-changing, were caused by their negligent use of alcohol and/or drugs. The military said their injuries were in the line of duty, but the VA said they were not.
Old 30 May 2012, 00:23
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog79 View Post
Some of the comments in this thread seem to say that there are vets who need VA benefits more than those who are currently receiving them. That could be so, but no one’s stopping them from applying for them if they want/need them. VA has procedures for categorizing and prioritizing different types of claims with the goal of ensuring those most in need are taken care of in a timely manner. One thing people need to understand is that most of these priorities are subject to change based on politics, depending on what the hot issue of the day is, such as homeless veterans.

Amputees that rehabilitate themselves and can run marathons, ski, skydive, etc., are still considered disabled under the law. While they may be able to do some extraordinary things, they still have “loss of use” of certain body parts. Since the VA only applies the law, people are free to lobby Congress to change the law. An amputee’s special prosthetic may enable him to run, but whether he is able to be gainfully employed with that disability, along with any others he may have, is the real issue. Besides, military service, especially in a combat zone, is not the same as working in corporate America, volunteer or not.

Exactly.
Quote:
The VA is not obligated to honor any LODs done by the military.
We routinely make “administrative decisions” on cases of injury due to negligence. I have “written out” several veterans whose injuries, some horrific and life-changing, were caused by their negligent use of alcohol and/or drugs. The military said their injuries were in the line of duty, but the VA said they were not.
I disagree with you that the VA is not obligated to honor any LODs done by the military.

A LOD is a backup document for an injury, that the VA requires when a veteran files for a disability, along with medical records. Some time the only file available is the LOD.
Now how the LOD was written up is another thing.

When the veteran submits his claim and provides Medical documentation i.e. Medical Records or an LOD. The Veteran will have an C&P exam, depending on the exam of the LOD injury, will determine the out come of the claim.

Just to say the VA is not obligated to honor any LODs done by the military
Old 30 May 2012, 11:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
I disagree with you that the VA is not obligated to honor any LODs done by the military.
You may disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that we arenot obligated to honor them in cases of willful misconduct. Ref: M21-1MR III.v.1.D.19.d.
Old 30 May 2012, 18:48
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog79 View Post
You may disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that we arenot obligated to honor them in cases of willful misconduct. Ref: M21-1MR III.v.1.D.19.d.
That I will agree with
Old 30 May 2012, 22:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
That I will agree with
My wording was bad. I should've said "...all LODs.." vice "...any LODs...". My apologies What really bugs me are cases where the veteran's broken back, neck, etc., causes partial or complete paralysis and they find the injury to be in the line of duty, but don't medically retire him or her. Maybe they expect the VA to pick up the slack not knowing that we're not going to in cases of willful misconduct.
Old 31 May 2012, 05:21
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
Your point of view is noted. No hostilities taken.

That being said, your response has an emotional content to it (vs an objective one) that says he "deserves something more" because he lost his leg. You did in fact state that you agree he may no longer be disabled.

He volunteered for the military (a dangerous job, certainly so in the time of war) and all the job security, health care, education benefits etc that come with it. He was injured by someone other than the military (i.e. the enemy) so it wasn't outside his scope of work to have this happen to him (or any of us). His injury has been attended to and he has demonstrated his level of recovery by running the Boston marathon (and others I am sure in order to qualify). The primary purpose of a foot / leg is to ambulate. It appears that he does this quite well.

Were he a foot model, competitive climber/guide, etc...I would agree that his injury does indeed warrant a stipend to cover that gap.

The primary purpose of a disability PAYMENT is to assist in closing the gap between earnings you would have made were you not injured, and lesser monies you now earn DUE TO YOUR DISABILITY. It is not for "pain and suffering" unless there is a mental heath issue that need be addressed and this mental health issue then prevents someone from working in their environment.

There are a tremendous number of DISABLED veterans in our population. Veterans who NEED the monies that are being dolled out to individuals who "feel they deserve something more" simply because they served. Men and women who are unable to work either a full day or full week due to their unalterable condition. These are the men and women who need help with daily bills, home rebuilding to accommodate their appliances needed to get around, daily care givers, their families who have lost income (present and future) because their spouse can no longer function at more than a grade school level. SO MANY Veterans are in NEED.

While the military isn't IBM, it is still a choice to join the military.

It's good to support the men and women who serve. Yes it sucks that folks get hurt doing so. But there are other tangible benefits bestowed on all of us for our service to our country. I'd rather put disability monies towards those folks who are indeed disabled.

Doc,

I have to disagree somewhat. VA compensation is given based solely on the service related disease condition or injury and its current impact on your quality of life. The compensation is for the impact on your over all quality of life, not earning potential. While I originally did not file as I thought I was taking $ from these younger troops with horrendous injuries, no money is taken from one to give to another. Illnesses, conditions (including PTSD) and injuries are paid at the same rate by percentage, each disability rated as having a certain degree of impact to QOL. When the VA rates an injury, they look at it as service related and award the compensation on the impact it has on his QOL. He will always be an amputee, regardless of the treatment, prosthetics etc. Versus my knee surgery. I currently have no symptoms so I get no comp. ALL of my VA compensation is for degenerative arthritis, which they say will impact my quality of life. It has zero impact on my ability to earn a living.

My $.02

Our new posting rules