SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 31 May 2012, 06:30
Been There Done That

FAT GUY:
Good post. Your statement could not be any truer.
Old 31 May 2012, 09:06
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
FAT GUY:
Good post. Your statement could not be any truer.
Fully agree,I applied just for my dental and hearing and White River Jct. found a lot more shit wrong with me.
On PTSD I had to submit buddy statements and orders for my CAB in 05-06.I believe one does not have to do that now.
Old 31 May 2012, 09:44
Been There Done That

GPC
I thought just the CAB would be suffice for the claim of PTSD.
Old 31 May 2012, 09:54
Freelancer

Quote:
GPC

Guys like myself who got out did not get theirs.
I found out from a buddy and had to request mine.
Took me a year to get approved after getting a VUA and MUC.
And had a 1 star involved.
Lesson save every piece of paper.

It was a total fuck up on awards and I believe there was a investigation on it.My one friend who earned a ARCOM with V and a PH has not recieved his CAB.The VA did take care of him on his claim.

I believe President Obama signed a law that did away with proving one was in combat for PTSD.
Old 31 May 2012, 10:51
Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I read this report the other day and it sickens me. I have/had a good personal friend who was in the Navy for the 1st Gulf. He sat on a ship that was off the coast of Iraq lobbing tomahawks. He claims he has PTSD from that, and for the rest of his life is collecting "blood" money, for doing nothing. I can't stand to look at him -- never-mind talk to him.
Old 31 May 2012, 11:45
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWookie View Post
I read this report the other day and it sickens me. I have/had a good personal friend who was in the Navy for the 1st Gulf. He sat on a ship that was off the coast of Iraq lobbing tomahawks. He claims he has PTSD from that, and for the rest of his life is collecting "blood" money, for doing nothing. I can't stand to look at him -- never-mind talk to him.
I used to work with a retired Air Force guy that received 100% disability for.......

....wait for it.....

...sleep apnea.

He was proud to let everyone know he was 100% disabled as he worked his $70K a year job.
Old 31 May 2012, 13:11
Been There Done That

Icon5

Quote:
GPC
Why?
Old 31 May 2012, 13:21
?

Like a ton of people on this site I'm sure, I have a CAB (earned multiple times over) and I do not have PTSD...

On another note, a certain WO on my last tour was doing everything he could to get himself a CAB because of mortor rounds hitting somewhere on the other side of Scania while we were getting ready to head out in our MRAPs... Don't know if he accomplished it, but if he did, it sure as hell doesn't give him the right to a PTSD claim. I've been more scared burning garbage when I accidently left an aerosol can in there and didn't remember!

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 31 May 2012, 13:22
?

Like a ton of people on this site I'm sure, I have a CAB (earned multiple times over) and I do not have PTSD...

On another note, a certain WO on my last tour was doing everything he could to get himself a CAB because of mortor rounds hitting somewhere on the other side of Scania while we were getting ready to head out in our MRAPs... Don't know if he accomplished it, but if he did, it sure as hell doesn't give him the right to a PTSD claim. I've been more scared burning garbage when I accidently left an aerosol can in there and didn't remember!

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 31 May 2012, 13:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
When the VA rates an injury, they look at it as service related and award the compensation on the impact it has on his QOL. He will always be an amputee, regardless of the treatment, prosthetics etc. Versus my knee surgery. I currently have no symptoms so I get no comp. ALL of my VA compensation is for degenerative arthritis, which they say will impact my quality of life. It has zero impact on my ability to earn a living.

My $.02
I understand what you are saying, and it's OK for us to disagree.

How is sleep apnea service related? Why is it the latest and greatest "test on exit" that everyone is asking for? Well, because folks are getting an extra 10% if they are diagnosed with it.

How is diabetes service related? How is Hypertension Service related? These things are service related, I was told, because "The Army failed to maintain the individual in a state of physical fitness that would have prevented them from becoming overweight and having these conditions."

So much of it, not all - but MUCH, is utter bullshit and folks trying to get over on Uncle Sugar with a check for life after a 2-4 year stint.

Shameful IMH (though unpopular) O....
Old 31 May 2012, 14:20
Been There Done That

USSFPA
The CAB gets you in the door for the VA to at least review your claim. I did not make myself clear, I did not mean to say you should get the claim approved for a CAB. CAB shows that you were in combat. The rest is for a Shrink and some Rater to decide.

Diabetes was a presumptive disease for veterans who were exposed to Herbicide exposure (Agent Orange, Blue, White...) in VN and for some soldiers in South Korea in the 70s. Hypertension comes from many things, being overweight is one.

I have said this before, the VA needs to revamp USC 38, chapter 1-4. We will not see that done in our lifetime. Most of the chapters were written back in the 1930s. VA makes changes only when presured by Political involvement.
Old 31 May 2012, 14:28
Old and Grumpy

The contractor whom I am currently doing some work for, had a meeting with his insurance agent yesterday. Rates for workman's comp in the construction industry have increased over thirty per cent since the economic slowdown. Many workers, knowing that a layoff is imminent, will come down with a back injury or some other hard to disprove ailment and apply for workman's comp. I know this doesn't exactly fit with VA benefits, but there is a correlation there.
Old 31 May 2012, 20:19
Been There Done That

So Congress passed a law in 2008 that mandates the VA to compensate PTSD at 50%.

Like many others, I have earned my CMB many times over.

Apparently, if one was deployed, one now has the golden ring. I can claim that I have PTSD and get a 50% pension for the rest of my life. Why should I stay in for 20? I can get out now with the same pension.

This action by Congress appeals to the worst in all of us.
Old 31 May 2012, 20:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
GPC
A qualifying combat award (CAB, CIB, CAR, PH, etc.) will get one a PTSD exam, but it doesn't mean the veteran will be diagnosed and get service-connected for it.
Old 31 May 2012, 20:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTed View Post
So Congress passed a law in 2008 that mandates the VA to compensate PTSD at 50%.

Apparently, if one was deployed, one now has the golden ring. I can claim that I have PTSD and get a 50% pension for the rest of my life. Why should I stay in for 20? I can get out now with the same pension.

It mandates the veteran's particular service branch to pay 50% if PTSD was diagnosed in service, to be reexamined at a later date, with the possibility of a reduction in percentage.

The VA rates on it's own scale. Most grants for PTSD that I've seen are in the 10 to 30% range.
Old 31 May 2012, 22:32
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
I understand what you are saying, and it's OK for us to disagree.

How is sleep apnea service related? Why is it the latest and greatest "test on exit" that everyone is asking for? Well, because folks are getting an extra 10% if they are diagnosed with it.

How is diabetes service related? How is Hypertension Service related? These things are service related, I was told, because "The Army failed to maintain the individual in a state of physical fitness that would have prevented them from becoming overweight and having these conditions."

So much of it, not all - but MUCH, is utter bullshit and folks trying to get over on Uncle Sugar with a check for life after a 2-4 year stint.

Shameful IMH (though unpopular) O....
Doc,

I agree with your statement on the seemingly "blanket" award of compensation. I had to visit the local VA hospital for assistance in filing my claim. I heard a guy brag that he was drawing compensation from 4 different VA programs and looking for a 5th. A big fat sloppy guy dressed in pajamas in public. I heard him further say he was a USN Reservist and his only AD time was at a place in the US near the Great Lakes. I asked him why he thought he was eligible, he stated it didn't matter what he thought, it mattered what the government thinks.

What a piece of shit.

Ref my statements on why the VA awards compensation, this is what the guy from the VA that decided my case told me. I have yet to find it in writing though. I add it to shed some reliability ( perhaps lack there of?) to my statement.

Sleep Apnea is a big thing, my counselor asked me if I snored and if so to take the sleep test. That's where I drew the line.
Old 1 June 2012, 09:07
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog79 View Post
A qualifying combat award (CAB, CIB, CAR, PH, etc.) will get one a PTSD exam, but it doesn't mean the veteran will be diagnosed and get service-connected for it.
I forgot to add that in my post.

10-30% is the norm for VA.
Old 1 June 2012, 09:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Doc,

I asked him why he thought he was eligible, he stated it didn't matter what he thought, it mattered what the government thinks.

Sleep Apnea is a big thing, my counselor asked me if I snored and if so to take the sleep test. That's where I drew the line.
Herein lies the difference my friend.

If you look at the two partial quotes from your post, you will notice that there is a fundamental difference in thinking.

One of entitlement vs one of integrity.

You want nothing more than what you have rightfully earned, the other guy wants whatever he can get, regardless of whether he earned it or not.

It is a generational issue of veteran perception. Specifically; "You owe me for my service" vs "I chose to serve and appreciate the help."

I take issue with someone who abuses the system for their own benefit "just because they can." I also take issue with the system that encourages this type of behavior, especially at the expense of others.
The VA is not IMHO "Welfare for Veterans" and the race to document diagnosis' in order to be rewarded with a check is bothersome at best.

I actually had a (support) guy in clinic last week who wanted it documented that he "was getting older." Why? because one of his buddies got an extra 10% last month, from the VA, for "having it documented that he felt like he was old in his records".

Really?

Very frustrating.
Old 1 June 2012, 10:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTed View Post

This is not fully germane to the discussion, but a 50% VA rating is not equivalent to a 50% base pay retainer. The money is based off a VA scale and has nothing to do with military retired pay.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 1 June 2012, 12:09
?

I don't necessarily agree that it's a generational thing. Is it happening more now than years past, most likely, but why?

1. Our reserve center had the local VSO (in his 50s or 60s) there several times to discuss benefits. He hammerrd into all of us that we "deserve" everything we can get. Basically said, we were all entitled to 10% for hearing and he'd make sure we got it. The whole message was one of entitlement.

2. I'm 29 (the real 29), and I refuse disability for the reason that nothing that I feel is "service connected" is preventing me from being happy and successful. On the other hand, my grandparents constantly pushed "make sure you go to the VA and get everything you can get". They've about quit now knowing I'm not interested.

3. During redeployment, they make it easier for troops to go after benefits. Not saying it's a bad thing to educate us about possible issues, but I could about bet that didn't happen in the past. Infact in early 2004 when I came back, we didn't have near the information given to us as I did in late 2010. If you are told the problem, the reason, and the symptoms, the pukes that want to sponge off the government will use that to get paid.

I think it comes down to the economy and the liberal mindset that seems to be running rampant across all generations. My grandparents on my mom's side are happy to say they want a redistribution of wealth. They think anyone looking for handouts must deserve to get them... At the same time, I have friends and family my age that instead of collecting unemployment benefits during a 3 month planned layoff from their job, they go out and find a way to earn money during that time.

My dos cents.

Our new posting rules