SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 20 September 2020, 19:53
Confirmed User

I joined the membership at targetsportsusa, and there is 3 things they do that helps during shortages.
As a prime, they email me of ammo in stock 3hrs prior to non members.
And they ship for free, regardless if its one 20 round box or 1000 rds, as a prime member.
Lastly, they give ammo at a lower price per round too.
I have noticed 3 weeks wait time for 556 lately. 9mm/380acp its been a over 2 months.
Its the best I can say to getting ammo, in these times.
Old 20 September 2020, 20:01
Authorized Personnel

This is also a really good time to remind folks of the importance of maintaining your stock of ammo when things are peachy.
Old 21 September 2020, 09:07
Old Scroll

Proverbs 27-12:
A wise, shrewd person discerns the danger ahead and prepares himself,
but the naÔve simpleton never looks ahead and suffers the consequences.

I'm of the opinion that this lack of ammo is going to be FAR worse than it was after Sandy Hook... remember when you couldn't find a single round of .22 for over two years? I think that we're looking at a bigger hit than that one was. Hopefully everybody has at least SOMETHING stashed away, because I'm thinking the resupply bird is not coming for a while.

Folks might want to curtail their recreational shooting for a bit...

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 21 September 2020, 22:21
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I joined the membership at targetsportsusa, and there is 3 things they do that helps during shortages.
As a prime, they email me of ammo in stock 3hrs prior to non members.
And they ship for free, regardless if its one 20 round box or 1000 rds, as a prime member.
Lastly, they give ammo at a lower price per round too.
I have noticed 3 weeks wait time for 556 lately. 9mm/380acp its been a over 2 months.
Its the best I can say to getting ammo, in these times.
We have cases of 9mm and 5.56 at the store, but the price is crazy (It is however the price they have charged for years, due to having a range) $550 for a case of 124 grn 9mm and $425 for 500 rds of 5.56. Fucking crazy. I was reloading 5.56 all yesterday morning.
Old 21 September 2020, 22:33
exquisitus asinus

ouch!

I have enough 556 on hand to last me a fairly long while... but.. I definitely should have bought a few thousand more back when it was still readily available at $199 for 500...

I about choked when I saw the price of a case of 1000 tula steel cased 9mm on the Outdoor Limited website today... they have it in stock for $660 per 1K rounds..

That crap was going for $300 per 1K rounds just a few months ago..
Old 21 September 2020, 22:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
ouch!

I have enough 556 on hand to last me a fairly long while... but.. I definitely should have bought a few thousand more back when it was still readily available at $199 for 500...

I about choked when I saw the price of a case of 1000 tula steel cased 9mm on the Outdoor Limited website today... they have it in stock for $660 per 1K rounds..

That crap was going for $300 per 1K rounds just a few months ago..
This time last year $200 shipped, got you 1000 rounds of brass cased 9mm. : )

I bought 500 rounds of 124gr S&B fir $300 shipped several
Weeks ago. Effects me as have people wanting to do private lessons/training from me, but hard to get ammo or makes training too expensive to some.

In 5 weeks, look at $1 a round for 9mm or 5.56 being the norm.

If someone tries to rob me of my wallet, I will probably let them have it instead of pulling out my CCW. As the ammo in my firearm is worth more than what I have in my wallet, so donít want to waste expensive ammo on a criminal.
Old 23 September 2020, 08:48
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
This time last year $200 shipped, got you 1000 rounds of brass cased 9mm. : )

I bought 500 rounds of 124gr S&B fir $300 shipped several
Weeks ago. Effects me as have people wanting to do private lessons/training from me, but hard to get ammo or makes training too expensive to some.

In 5 weeks, look at $1 a round for 9mm or 5.56 being the norm.

If someone tries to rob me of my wallet, I will probably let them have it instead of pulling out my CCW. As the ammo in my firearm is worth more than what I have in my wallet, so donít want to waste expensive ammo on a criminal.
As late as February 2020, I was getting 124 grn 9mm, brass cased for $24.00 a box for 150 rds. That's $160 a case. We do this to ourselves at every opportunity.
Old 23 September 2020, 09:12
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
As late as February 2020, I was getting 124 grn 9mm, brass cased for $24.00 a box for 150 rds. That's $160 a case. We do this to ourselves at every opportunity.
Isn't it about time to lay blame for pricing increases where it belongs at the hands of the vultures?

*Victims* Hate Winners.
Old 23 September 2020, 10:39
Freelancer

Estate sales, my LGS gets quite a bit of ammo from them.
Old 24 September 2020, 00:49
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Isn't it about time to lay blame for pricing increases where it belongs at the hands of the vultures?
Thats what I mean. We as gun owners. Maybe not me and you, but there are people that buy a "case or two" because they are afraid they will not be able to get it at all. Some other reasons, like we no linger have a lead smelter in the US and not just record gun sales, but new first time gun buyers.

I agree there are vultures and they compound the problem. To what degree its hard to say. I found some 5.56 on Bigdaddyunlimited and when I tried to buy a case, it limited me to 5 boxes. The fuck I am gonna do with that?

Its like the .22 scarcity after Sandy Hook, except more ubiquitous.
Old 24 September 2020, 08:45
BTDT

Capitalism is awesome - watching vultures trying to sell a case of small pistol primers on Gunbroker for upwards of a hundred bucks is just crap.

its like the jerks that buy all the shit tickets at Walmart so they can scalp it at the corner from the trunk of their car.

Capitalism fucking rocks - people on the other hand are pricks.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 24 September 2020, 10:37
Old Scroll

Quote:
. . . SNIP . . .

Its like the .22 scarcity after Sandy Hook, except more ubiquitous.
I got very lucky and went to the Dulles gun show where I scored 6K rounds of various types of .22LR, Long, Short, and SubSonic LR, and an AR for HH6, not two weeks before Sandy Hook happened. I know a dozen bricks of .22 isn't all that much, but that was on top of my already pretty good stash.

I now consider .22 to be prime barter material for later on. Damn sure can't really shoot it all.

LOL... recently I've been putting away pints of prime liquor. Lots of 'em

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 26 September 2020, 13:22
Just fading away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Rural King is tapped out- last week they had cases of 62 grn 5.56 green tip made for the Middle East (Arabic writing on the wirebound) selling like hotcakes for $800.

Today they had 44 MAG and 22 LR- limit 1
Yep.....We opened a new Rural King on 22 of August and had 8 cases of 1675 rds of LC green tip for $799. Opened at 7am and by 7:15 all gone. I tried to get the Managers to limit purchases but they wouldn't listen.....watched assholes go up to the shelves of ammo and literally rake the shelf clean of 9mm and 5.56 into their shopping carts and spend an hour checking out to pay for it and then I went by the local flea markets after work and on Sunday also a saw the same ammo that left our store with $15 - $30 added to what we sold it for. I would go in to work in the morning and have literally 10-15 guys follow me in and wait for the ammo to hit the floor. I didn't even bother to put the shit on the shelf. Cut open the cases...left them on the floor and came back in about 15 minutes to clean up the empty boxes. Now after seeing nothing but 12 guage and 22Lr on the shelf they decide to limit sales to 2 boxes per person. Fuck me to tears. Selling the crap out of firearms.....with no ammo....go figure.
Old 28 September 2020, 20:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
We have cases of 9mm and 5.56 at the store, but the price is crazy (It is however the price they have charged for years, due to having a range) $550 for a case of 124 grn 9mm and $425 for 500 rds of 5.56. Fucking crazy. I was reloading 5.56 all yesterday morning.
I recently bought a 7.62 can full of bulk green tip 5.56 for $150...
Old 2 October 2020, 02:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
I recently bought a 7.62 can full of bulk green tip 5.56 for $150...
Did you have a gun in his face????

Thatís a smoking deal. Shoot it in health!
Old 2 October 2020, 03:31
Been There Done That

It was what he paid for it in March at Academy Sports...
Old 2 October 2020, 09:24
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
I got very lucky and went to the Dulles gun show where I scored 6K rounds of various types of .22LR, Long, Short, and SubSonic LR, and an AR for HH6, not two weeks before Sandy Hook happened. I know a dozen bricks of .22 isn't all that much, but that was on top of my already pretty good stash.

I now consider .22 to be prime barter material for later on. Damn sure can't really shoot it all.

LOL... recently I've been putting away pints of prime liquor. Lots of 'em
I was fortunate as well. The store had sale on American Eagle .22 ammo so I bought 2 cases. I now have 22 ammo stashed everywhere. Good idea on the liquor as well.
Old 2 October 2020, 23:32
Old Scroll

Off topic but have been thinking of a couple of cases of Marlboros.

Gunshow Sat AM, maybe lightning will strike.

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 3 October 2020, 04:17
The atomic zit

Cigarettes?

Around here those are cheap and easy.
Old 4 October 2020, 11:48
Hard to Kill

So here is an interesting twist......

I see sites like targetsportsusa are selling Magpul Mags with 30 rds of ammunition at really low prices. Now, I understand that the ammo is probably seconds and is not the greatest quality, but if its safe, I am cool with that to train with. Built in, unanticipated malfunctions is cool. The kicker is I got 900 rds of ammo (that if bought on it own would have been upwards of $600 - $700) and 30 magpul mags for $480 delivered. I have also seen the same dynamic out in gun stores. Its just an interesting dynamic.

Also, I just bought a case of 1k rds of Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points in the venerable 45 GAP for .................................................. .......

Wait for it.................

wait for it

$367.00 delivered.

Our new posting rules