Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 6 June 2017, 15:10
Anesthetized User

Boise, ID

So the wife and I have decided to check out Boise across the weekend before the 4th of July and leave on the 5th. We are starting to visit places we may want to retire to in 5 years and are looking at Billings, MT and someplace in ID where our kind, Californians, will not be lynched LOL.

So, anything fun to do around the 4th, things not to be missed?

Thanks.

Support SOCNET.
Old 6 June 2017, 15:15
Been There Done That

Nothing to do with Boise, but if you're seriously considering Montana I suggest you do as HH6 and I did & do a quick tour of the state. There's some significant differences in each area that may or may not matter to you. We took 5 days and hit Billings/Great Falls/Kalispell/Missoula/Butte/Bozeman (with a side trip to Ennis to sample Willie's finest). Before we started the wife had absolutely zero interest in the Flathead Valley (Kalispell) area. Guess where we ended up? ;-)

Also, Missoula and Bozeman are major University towns, and so major liberal enclaves.
Old 6 June 2017, 17:53
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
Nothing to do with Boise, but if you're seriously considering Montana I suggest you do as HH6 and I did & do a quick tour of the state. There's some significant differences in each area that may or may not matter to you. We took 5 days and hit Billings/Great Falls/Kalispell/Missoula/Butte/Bozeman (with a side trip to Ennis to sample Willie's finest). Before we started the wife had absolutely zero interest in the Flathead Valley (Kalispell) area. Guess where we ended up? ;-)

Also, Missoula and Bozeman are major University towns, and so major liberal enclaves.
Cool, thanks for the info. We are very serious about Montana. We just cannot do it here anymore, and at the end of 5 years we are gone. She really liked Helena and the people. I would like a very conservative state and I do not want to pay for anymore social experiments. I want my guns rights back.

For fucks sure, I do not want to go where the usual California mindsets are going to be.

I would like to live in the county on the outskirts of a decent city. We still like movies, tent camping, we both fish and hunt and are social, but I am getting crochety as I head into 50 end of this year.

I am thinking my dollar will go farther in MT than ID. What are your thoughts on my assumption? Billings is big enough and has the usual stores should you need something. IIRC Cabelas is in Billings, right?

Support SOCNET.
Old 6 June 2017, 18:27
Been There Done That

I lived in Boise for awhile, back in, shit.. like 2005 I think.

Loved it. Especially if you like outdoor stuff because honestly, not much else to do there.

Rafting in the summer, Bogus Basin Ski Resort in right in the middle of town, has night skiing as well. Lots of hunting and hiking opportunities.

State Capital, river in the middle of town, Bronco games are a big thing, its a lot like Austin and all that goes with that...

It's safe, like one murder per year. Eclectic crowd, Mormons, Cowboys and the "alternative" group.

Boise is high mountain desert, it does not have the extremes the rest of the state does, but coming from Houston, I froze my ass off the first winter.

I can't speak to Montana, but I liked Boise.

Good luck!
Old 6 June 2017, 18:30

Boise, while certainly not as bad as Cali (like orders of magnitude better) is the liberal enclave for ID --- or so I'm told. Notice I didn't say shitlib.

I recently was in Billings a while back (I think there's a thread here on it). Nice town. Big enough for, like you said, to have all the stores you need but still small enough to not have big city problems. I liked it.

MT your $$$ will probably go further. I've only been in Idaho a short while, but it does seem that things are more expensive here (car reg. State income tax, etc) than in MT.

And I'd try to either not mention anything about moving from Cali........or quickly qualify your statement with "I hate the liberals there", I mean, if you don't want to get shot. I think everyone everywhere hates Californians moving in and shitting up their state. :)

Coming from Houston, this whole area is a fucking frozen wasteland for 9 months out of the year though.
Old 6 June 2017, 18:32
Confirmed User

Boise, I would live out side of there several smaller Towns around the area. Helena, It been a while since I was there Good Hunting area. The people were down to earth type individuals.

P.S. First thing you need to do is get new Driver License & Change your Vehicle License Plate
Old 6 June 2017, 19:01
What could possibly go wrong?

We did the same thing, looking for retirement spots. Northern Idaho, CDA and Sandpoint area were great but very very cold. We spent some time in Boise with another buddy who retired there. The way he described it is, it's the capitol, it has the collection of liberals for the state there due to the university etc. Still, the politics run firmly conservative he said. Not a whole lot of crime either. Vehicle registration example.....my 2015 Chevy 2500 diesel, I paid 800 fucking dollars last year in DMV fees. My buddy with same truck, paid 234 bucks for two yrs reg, personalized plates and free admission to the state parks. Also note buddy in Texas paid 50. That's the other location we are serious about
Old 6 June 2017, 19:10

All you damn commiefornians coming in and shitting up my states!
Old 6 June 2017, 19:15
Confirmed User

Avoid Nampa and Caldwell. Boise isn't nearly as liberal as Portland and Seattle from my experience. Frank Church wilderness is pretty cool and up around Idaho City is pretty.

Yes, MT is cold as fuck along with northern Idaho from everyone I've ever talked to.
Old 6 June 2017, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwesttech View Post
Yes, MT is cold as fuck along with northern Idaho from everyone I've ever talked to.
SE Idaho gets buttfucked by old man winter on the regular too.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cold.jpg (26.6 KB, 101 views)
Old 6 June 2017, 20:43
Old and Grumpy

I remember salmon fishing up near McCall on the Western side of the state. There is some beautiful country around that area. I doubt it's changed all that much since I was there 50 years ago.
Old 6 June 2017, 21:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
SE Idaho gets buttfucked by old man winter on the regular too.....
Yeah, I remember two weeks of -20 degrees when I was in high school and getting to work outside for part of it. Nothing like your nostrils trying to freeze!
Old 6 June 2017, 22:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Cool, thanks for the info. We are very serious about Montana. We just cannot do it here anymore, and at the end of 5 years we are gone. She really liked Helena and the people. I would like a very conservative state and I do not want to pay for anymore social experiments. I want my guns rights back.

For fucks sure, I do not want to go where the usual California mindsets are going to be.

I would like to live in the county on the outskirts of a decent city. We still like movies, tent camping, we both fish and hunt and are social, but I am getting crochety as I head into 50 end of this year.

I am thinking my dollar will go farther in MT than ID. What are your thoughts on my assumption? Billings is big enough and has the usual stores should you need something. IIRC Cabelas is in Billings, right?
Let's see, keeping in mind that I'm a relatively recent transplant...

Any of the cities I mentioned previously would meet your basic need for living in the county on the outskirts of a decent city. Cabelas are in Billings, Missoula and Kalispell. Not sure about the cost of living differences between MT and ID. We don't have sales tax and Idaho does, but our property taxes are probably higher. Bozeman and Livingston would put you in close proximity to Yellowstone NP, while the Kalispell area puts you next door to Glacier NP. If you like what I refer to as the high desert feel then you would like Billings or Bozeman. Butte is, well, Butte. Kalispell and Missoula are more mountainous (and west of the continental divide, which makes a big difference, weather-wise). I wasn't all that impressed with either Helena or Great Falls, but YMMV. The weather is what it is, but there's plenty to do in the winter between snowmobiling, snowshoeing, skiing, snowboarding, and sitting by the fire drinking. Summers are just as full, with pretty much any outdoor activity you'd care to try.

Anything else I can answer, just let me know.
Old 7 June 2017, 09:00
Authorized Personnel

Got nothing on Idaho, but did live in MT for 2 years (in Butte, but travelled all across the state for work). Here are my impressions:

The winter is not bad. I think the overcast, 30-40 degree winter we just spent here in WV (and I spent all my life in on the east coast) is much worse. I've been outside in Montana at 20 degrees in the sun in a t-shirt cleaning the yard. I was at a car-wash at -10 washing the car. We bought big Army Arctic Parkas to wear when we moved there. I wore mine twice. Diana wore hers once.

I walked a mile each way to work every day of the year, so was definitely out in the weather. I think on one day my hands actually got cold on the walk home.

Granted at night you feel the cold in winter. I mean it's -15 or -10 or 15 or 20 or whatever. Once the sun sets it's cold, but man there's nothing like wearing a softshell jacket at 8:00 in the morning on a 25 degree day walking dogs and by 8:30 you have it off and wearing a flannel shirt sitting on the deck soaking the sun and being hot.

I used to work on my laptop outside a café. At 10 am many mornings it was 40 degrees and I was in a dress shirt and pants.

Your money will go farther in Butte than most other places. It doesn't have everything you want (no Lowes or Home Depot or TJMaxx) but it does have brillian turn of the century Victorian homes you can get for $300,000 (renovated). And Home Depot is an hours drive (68 miles) to Helena, or Bozeman.

Kallispel and that area is nice but expensive. Missoula is very nice but it gets a weather inversion in winter and stays gray. Billings stays pretty much "Big Sky" all year round but gets pretty major storms (hail, etc). It is also very "Oil and Gas" kinda town - big refineries everywhere. You definitely want to visit it and see if it's the type of Montana you want to retire to. We didn't really care for it.

Great Falls is gorgeous (three? four rivers?) but windy as all hell.

Summers in MT are gorgeous, too. Obviously. The growing season is short because you can still have a 30 degree night following a 75 degree day well into June. September starts up the cold nights but gorgeous day cycle again...

Electricity, Gas, Water all seemed to be cheaper there than where I am now. Vehicle registration is cheap and no sales tax. You're a lot more "free" there...
Old 7 June 2017, 09:53
Authorized Personnel

Oh yes, to add - if you've never lived that far north, it does get darker sooner in winter, so if you're in Missoula or that area and you have an early sun-set combined with an overcast day, you start to get some cabin fever, so you really do have to make yourself get outside.

On the other hand I was looking at old photos and it was still bright outside at 9:45...wouldn't get "dark" until 10:30 at night in Summer, so that's a huge bonus.

For example - "night" as defined as actual night as we think of it, on June 7, 2017 in Helena MT lasts only 2 hours and 50 minutes (12:01 am to 2:52 am). When you look at Civil and Nautical twilight you still have visible light outside for a total of over 18 hours. Astronomical twilight is not night but not light either.

You don't really get snowbound (unless you live up a private road). The Interstates stay cleared of snow. In town you just drive on it (you have snow, not ice). There aren't nearly as many 4x4 trucks as you would think (except in Billings).

Being retired this wouldn't matter, but nothing closes for snow days. Nothing. Schools are always open, the mail is always delivered, etc. Kids walk to school at 0 degrees.

Montana has, overall, warmed over the past few years. Want to know if climate is warming and matters? Ask a gas and electric utility in Montana.

Last edited by KidA; 7 June 2017 at 10:03.
Old 7 June 2017, 10:27
33,024 - R.I.P.

The wife and I were looking to move to Wyoming (Casper area maybe) when we retire. The mountains are a short drive away and the cost of living seems to be much lower than anywhere else we have found. The only drawback are the prairie winds, but that can be harnessed for off-grid power.

No state income tax, and one of the lowest sales taxes in the U.S.

http://www.tax-rates.org/taxtables/income-tax-by-state

Sales tax by state:
ID = 6.0% + local
MT = 0%
WY = 4%

Income tax by state:
ID = 5% avg.
MT = 3.99% avg.
WY = 0%

Property tax by state:
ID = 0.69%
MT = 0.83%
WY = 0.58%
Old 7 June 2017, 10:39
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
The wife and I were looking to move to Wyoming (Casper area maybe) when we retire. The mountains are a short drive away and the cost of living seems to be much lower than anywhere else we have found. The only drawback are the prairie winds, but that can be harnessed for off-grid power.
Go spend a week during the windy season (which seems to be all the time, but I'm sure there's a more windy time of year than other times).

I think it's like most anything - if you grew up with it it doesn't bother you, but if you're new to it it really can grind you down.

We used to drive through WY visiting my dad in CO. Every damned time we went there were blown over RVs, blown over tractor trailers, getting out of the car to pump gas required keeping a firm hand on the door or else it would blow open.

Honestly I have no idea how all the cowboys keep their hats on. Maybe they're glued on...
Old 7 June 2017, 11:27
Authorized Personnel

My wife and I live in Helena. We should have moved here 12 years ago when I retired. Everything KidA said is 100% true about the weather. A few things that suprised me about Helena and Montana in general.

1) it's a pretty liberal state but not in away that I can describe very well. They are socially liberal but love guns, self reliance and the outdoors.
2)they don't care for Californias much. One reason other than liberal lunacy is the are driving up house prices.
3) they love dogs. We are able to take our dogs pretty much everywhere but restaurants
4) Helena is/has become a biking/hiking destination. You can catch a trail right off most neighborhoods. There are also bike lanes all over the city
5) small town feel. When I first moved here, I asked a retired Helena cop where are the safest or the most unsafe neighborhoods. He looked at me and said " he doesn't lock his doors at night". My example is that my wife and I was at a local park and she had her purse on the seat of the car. I left the window down and the park was packed. We got back to my car, and nothing was disturbed. I did not even lock my car doors at night anymore.
6) crime rate is damn near non existent.
7) they love dogs :)
8) last winter we saw a bunch of kids walking their sleds to a nearby hill. No parents in site. These kids where about 12. They waved and smiled at us. This spring, same thing but the kids were coming back from a corner store with ice cream and there were about 8/10. When was the last time we seen that in Florida?

If you love the outdoors, this is a great place. There are a few ski slopes a few hours away. The craft beer scene is freaking outstanding.

The bad..: it is a little more expensive than Fl but not so much that we have to worry about it.
The roads suck but that is not uncommon in snowey environment.
There is a train that runs right thru the center of town and you can hear it every where. The train can also block traffic coming out of " the valley" but it is so common, my boss doesn't even blink when you tell her you are late because of the train.

Good luck and if there is anything You need to know about Helena or Montana in general, please let me know

ETA... a few years ago there was a bad meth/opiate problem and it making a come back
The rental home market is pretty competitive...meaning when a house comes up for rent, it goes pretty fast.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.

Last edited by 10thvet; 7 June 2017 at 11:47. Reason: Last two sentences
Old 7 June 2017, 11:33
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
1) it's a pretty liberal state but not in away that I can describe very well. They are socially liberal but love guns, self reliance and the outdoors.
Good call, and true. There's definitely a "union Democrat" feel out there but MT was big into mining for most of its history. There are a lot of gays in MT, but it's not "
rainbow flag - look at me I'm a homo and you need to know about it" type of gaydom. I didn't get any real racist vibe (except everyone talks about Indians). The people they hate the most are meth users.

Quote:
2)they don't care for Californias much. One reason other than liberal lunacy is the are driving up house prices.
That's true.
Quote:

5) small town feel. When I first moved here, I asked a retired Helena cop where are the safest or the most unsafe neighborhoods. He looked at me and said " he doesn't lock his doors at night". My example is that my wife and I was at a local park and she had her purse on the seat of the car. I left the window down and the park was packed. We got back to my car, and nothing was disturbed. I did not even lock my car doors at night anymore.
6) crime rate is damn near non existent.
Yep. Hell I once went to CO for a four day weekend and left the garage open - motorcycles, full shop tools, etc all right there. Got home, nothing was touched. I almost never locked our doors. I usually parked on the street because I was too lazy to pull into the driveway because I stuck a gate on it (small iron gate) to keep the dogs in. Keys lived in the ignition.

Quote:

8) last winter we saw a bunch of kids walking their sleds to a nearby hill. No parents in site. These kids where about 12. They waved and smiled at us. This spring, same thing but the kids were coming back from a corner store with ice cream and there were about 8/10.
Yep. Middle and elementary school kids walking to and from school. We saw kids everywhere in our neighborhood all the time, and never saw them with parents. Ever.

The only people who were helicoptering around their children were tourists.
Old 7 June 2017, 11:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Good call, and true. There's definitely a "union Democrat" feel out there but MT was big into mining for most of its history.

That's true.

Yep. Hell I once went to CO for a four day weekend and left the garage open - motorcycles, full shop tools, etc all right there. Got home, nothing was touched. I almost never locked our doors.

Yep. Middle and elementary school kids walking to and from school. We saw kids everywhere in our neighborhood all the time, and never saw them with parents. Ever.

The only people who were helicoptering around their children were tourists.
Ah, yes - tourists. A necessary evil that you'll have to get used to, especially if you end up near Yellowstone NP or Glacier NP (both are continually breaking visitor records). I learned quickly to visit popular tourist destinations during fall and spring shoulder seasons to avoid the crowds.

Our new posting rules