SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 2 March 2017, 02:39

Gerber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Gerber is set to retire from Savannah PD next summer.
When 'Hard Rock' got locked down in '88 or '89 for the missing NODS the main part of the company was easy to enforce as they were all in their south wing...while Weapons Platoon shared the 3rd floor with B Co WPNS.

So, we were busy being marched to chow or eating MRE's and Brian Gerber hooked my roommate and I up with Burger King. I was so happy, but as my roommate - Weisbrod - who had taken the bag of food while I thanked him - was walking into the room with the food our PLT SGT Arthur McCann came out of the floor and called for yet another surprise 'health & welfare.'

All the C Co guys had to immediately stand outside the room and wait for our rooms to be inspected...so I was stuck in the hallway. Weisbrod joined me a minute later, our room was checked and no issues.... Weisbrod had chucked the Burger King out the window.... Of course it was spread all over the grass right below our room in the HHC assembly area... so we were sure to get busted.

Never got busted, and I don't know who cleaned it up but I suspect Brian did as he hooked us up with pizza later on.

Good Ranger buddy there!
Old 2 March 2017, 14:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger7 View Post
When 'Hard Rock' got locked down in '88 or '89 for the missing NODS
"Lockdown Charlie"....I recall that.

One of the guys that got burned by that mess was SGT Eutsy. Rumor has it that he got busted trying to sell the NODs and some demo to a couple UC agents from CID at a pre-arranged spot out on perimeter road.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 2 March 2017, 14:43
BTDT

The guy that got busted had been C Co's training NCO. He had keys to all the cages and made copies before he got out. When the PVS-7s actually went missing, he was already out of the Army and used his keys to steal them. They found out he had been stealing ammo and various other items that he was in charge of as the training NCO. I had heard that he was dealing with major drug dealers in south Florida, which in the late 80's was totally feasible.
Old 2 March 2017, 14:46

I've always tried to remember his name. If I recall he had ETS'ed and came back and stole them out of the commo cage.

I've always thought he did sell them at an auction, and somehow they ended up in Cuba.

Anyhow, there was a tall black kid from Tampa Bay named Edwards that was in Hard Rock Mortars with me, good dude. After we had been locked-in a few weeks with everyone brainstorming he remembered seeing a red pick-up behind the company HQ while he was walking to the PX one Saturday. SGT Donatelli remembered who owner a red pick-up and they put two and two together. Similar timeframe another guy's (Don't recall his name, but blonde guy that worked in the C Co HQ as a SGT) wife was at the thief's home and recognized the black NOD's bag and told her husband. So as this info became available CID/FBI whoever was lead conducted a search warrant on his apartment and located the black bag. I heard he confessed and was arrested, and have always thought that somehow the NOD's ended up with some Cuban agents.
Old 2 March 2017, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila175 View Post
I had heard that he was dealing with major drug dealers in south Florida.
Yeah, that rings a bell, as I remember something about the auction/sale being in Florida and that's how they ended up getting to the Cuban's. Of course that could be urban legend for all I know. Memory is a funny thing.
Old 2 March 2017, 14:50
BTDT

One of the people to suffer from the lockdown was another Ranger in C-AT. A few weeks before the lockdown we were doing some patrols down at Ft Stewart. I came across 2 full saw drums in fairly decent condition that someone from the 24th ID must have pitched. I was told to leave it. When we got back, I told the Ranger in question about it. He asked so I gave him an 8 digit grid and described where they were. He went and found them and took them home.

When the lock down happened, they did health and welfare checks not just of the barracks, but of the Rangers' homes for those that lived on base. The chain of command searched his home and found 400 rds of linked 5.56. I am pretty sure he got an article 15 for that.

I think the effects of the lockdown lasted for a while. Not to long afterwards a SGT from B Mortars got caught with some unauthorized C4 in his ruck.
Old 2 March 2017, 14:56

I remember hearing about the SAW ammo, don't recall the C4.
Old 2 March 2017, 15:01
BTDT

Quote:
I've always tried to remember his name. If I recall he had ETS'ed and came back and stole them out of the commo cage.

I've always thought he did sell them at an auction, and somehow they ended up in Cuba.

Anyhow, there was a tall black kid from Tampa Bay named Edwards that was in Hard Rock Mortars with me, good dude. After we had been locked-in a few weeks with everyone brainstorming he remembered seeing a red pick-up behind the company HQ while he was walking to the PX one Saturday. SGT Donatelli remembered who owner a red pick-up and they put two and two together. Similar timeframe another guy's (Don't recall his name, but blonde guy that worked in the C Co HQ as a SGT) wife was at the thief's home and recognized the black NOD's bag and told her husband. So as this info became available CID/FBI whoever was lead conducted a search warrant on his apartment and located the black bag. I heard he confessed and was arrested, and have always thought that somehow the NOD's ended up with some Cuban agents.
I know I got back from Ranger school when you showed up, and was in C Mortars until after the lockdown and I don't remember a black Ranger in Mortars, or an Edwards. If he was there at that time, he must not have lasted long. I do remember that someone had spotted that truck, but don't know who. I don't know why any Ranger's wife would have ever seen a PVS-7 soft case in order recognize one.
Old 2 March 2017, 15:08

Edwards didn't last long, he was on my gun team as the ammo bearer. He was there circa Christmas of '87 as I drove him to Tampa. I've got a photo of him Woods, Chavez, Kridler and I. Not sure what happened to any of them.

I recall the guy's went to visit a friend and it was her husband that had stolen them. Since we were locked and it was PVS-7's missing she was either on the lookout, saw something suspicious, or maybe her husband suspected and asked her to look. Possibly since the 'red-truck' clue was offered up by Edwards/Donatelli he asked her to look and described what to look for since they were friends.
Old 3 March 2017, 07:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
When 'Hard Rock' got locked down in '88 or '89 for the missing NODS the main part of the company was easy to enforce as they were all in their south wing...while Weapons Platoon shared the 3rd floor with B Co WPNS.

So, we were busy being marched to chow or eating MRE's and Brian Gerber hooked my roommate and I up with Burger King. I was so happy, but as my roommate - Weisbrod - who had taken the bag of food while I thanked him - was walking into the room with the food our PLT SGT Arthur McCann came out of the floor and called for yet another surprise 'health & welfare.'

All the C Co guys had to immediately stand outside the room and wait for our rooms to be inspected...so I was stuck in the hallway. Weisbrod joined me a minute later, our room was checked and no issues.... Weisbrod had chucked the Burger King out the window.... Of course it was spread all over the grass right below our room in the HHC assembly area... so we were sure to get busted.

Never got busted, and I don't know who cleaned it up but I suspect Brian did as he hooked us up with pizza later on.

Good Ranger buddy there!

Art McCann was a good buddy of mine. We JM together during OJC. Haven't heard from him in years.

I also remember a lock down, we'll actually a lock out due to a missing grenade. May have just been A Co. I think it ended up being an accountability issue between the S4 & Company HQ.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 4 March 2017, 15:06
Been There Done That

The culprits name was Owens. I'll follow up with more but I'm on my phone
Old 4 March 2017, 18:27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena View Post
The culprits name was Owens.
Ding ding! You win the internet today.

There were three(?) CID investigations that I know of when I was there....Eutsy (A co) was one, Owens (C co) was another....cannot recall the third one, but it was a C co guy......

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 5 March 2017, 02:59
Been There Done That

I remember being locked down because a M1911 went missing. 3 days later it was found in B Co's pop-machine next to the CQ desk. The machine stopped dispensing cold drinks to B Co fags, and someone called the company. When the pop-machine tech came out, he opened the machine and grabbed the pistola that someone had stuffed into the poop-chute and said "does this belong to anyone?" I s'pose that probably would've been around early '86.
Old 5 March 2017, 06:18
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
I was at 1/75 (C, HHC, and B Co's) from 87-92, anybody here from that bygone era?
I was got a name or something to go on?
Old 5 March 2017, 06:27
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post
I remember being locked down because a M1911 went missing. 3 days later it was found in B Co's pop-machine next to the CQ desk. The machine stopped dispensing cold drinks to B Co fags, and someone called the company. When the pop-machine tech came out, he opened the machine and grabbed the pistola that someone had stuffed into the poop-chute and said "does this belong to anyone?" I s'pose that probably would've been around early '86.
I was there when that happened.... LOLZ
Old 5 March 2017, 08:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post
Yup...Fucking Sam Spears went slam the fuck off. I remember that long night very well to this day.
Old 5 March 2017, 20:06
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0000009 View Post
I was there when that happened.... LOLZ
Can you post an intro in the intro thread please?

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

Old 5 March 2017, 20:10

Quote:
Ding ding! You win the internet today.

There were three(?) CID investigations that I know of when I was there....Eutsy (A co) was one, Owens (C co) was another....cannot recall the third one, but it was a C co guy......
DarkHelmet - wish I had a memory like yours. Owens (I knew Eutsy wasn't familiar, but Owens flashed as soon as I read it) that was the nugget that got us 'Hard Rock' Charlie guys locked down.

Someone made some money off it by printing t-shirts saying 'Hard Rock Doing Hard Time,' never bought one but thought they were funny.
Old 5 March 2017, 22:31
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Can you post an intro in the intro thread please?
I'm pretty sure I did years ago already, sometime in 06 I think, but can do another one if I need to
Old 5 March 2017, 23:11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0000009 View Post
I'm pretty sure I did years ago already, sometime in 06 I think, but can do another one if I need to
You can search your own posts and see that no intro was ever posted, even back in 2006. And yes, you need to do so. Thanks.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

Our new posting rules