SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 10 January 2020, 14:28
Confirmed User

When I wintered in Pineland in '78, I used two sets of boots - one pair was issue rubber sole (boonie) boots and the other was (Vintage) Herman Survivors. The latter was so warm I only used them for sitting around the various base sites; but, they were great and would have been outstanding in an even colder climate.

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880
Old 11 January 2020, 09:52
exquisitus asinus

I found my new elk hunting boots by accident a couple of weeks ago...

Was checking out the after Christmas sales at the 5.11 store and managed to pick up a nice set of insulated, water proof, 6” hiking boots that normally retail for $209.00... for $65... didn’t know if I’d really like them or not.. but at that price I couldn’t pass them up...

Been wearing them daily to break them in.. so far, I’ve gotta say, they are as good or better than any higher end danner or merrel hikers I’ve ever owned... very comfortable.. just the right amount of insulation to keep the toes cozy without causing me to sweat.. and I was over the ankle in water last night and my foot stayed completely dry... no complaints at all so far...

https://www.511tactical.com/xprt-3-w...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11 January 2020, 10:23
been ***** **** that

Every now and again I find a deal at a local shoe store in the oversized shoe aisle. One can find some incredible deals. My only complaint is the bond between the sole and the uppers is always compromised first when climbing or descending ( and these hills around here are wimpy, though steep), that and the type of eyelets used is an indicator to me of how long a pair will last.
Old 21 February 2020, 18:58
In From The East

I ended up getting the Meindl Vakuum hunters...they are sweet and mold to my feet perfectly. On a side note, I also bought a Sitka Mountain Hauler 4000 ruck. Very well made and the layout is very thought out.

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-sitka...yABEgLBDfD_BwE
Old 25 February 2020, 11:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
My only complaint is the bond between the sole and the uppers is always compromised first when climbing or descending ( and these hills around here are wimpy, though steep), that and the type of eyelets used is an indicator to me of how long a pair will last.
A good boot with a Norwegian welt will fix that. A pair of Limmer boots has served me well for several years with many more to come. I'm not a fan of goretex or other water proof membranes in boots. They breakdown quickly. Greased leather hasn't failed me yet and breathes better than a membrane in my opinion.

http://limmerboot.com/Lightweight.html

If you have the coin and don't mind taking a few trips to New Hampshire you can get custom boots made.

https://www.limmercustomboot.com/contact-peter-limmer-and-sons/
Old 25 February 2020, 12:53
been ***** **** that

^ Thanks for that link, Shark! My current pair of Danners is about shot, though they have lasted me many hunts ( only two years in mountain terrain). I bought them in '03 in Colorado.....I reckon I got my money out of em!
Old 25 February 2020, 13:20
Rage against the machine

x2 thanks for that link.

Intervale, NH is not far from us.

Seriously looking at custom boots.
Old 25 February 2020, 14:33
Confirmed User

Here's another place that makes custom boots. Schibbs the company is based out of Berlin, WI. I got a few pair of different styles from them and love them.
https://www.russellmoccasin.com/

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 25 February 2020, 17:19
been ***** **** that

Thanks much , Jong!
Old 25 February 2020, 17:43
Been There Done That

Absolutely has nothing to do with elk hunting boots, but I was just in SE Alaska for 2 weeks and finally picked up a pair of xtratuf boots. I've been wanting them for a while, but you can't find them in Montucky.
Old 25 February 2020, 17:54
been ***** **** that

Bet they'd work great for camp boots!
Old 25 February 2020, 19:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
Bet they'd work great for camp boots!
Not really (too big and bulky), but they're great for working in wet conditions (thus their popularity in SE Alaska and on fishing boats.
Old 25 February 2020, 21:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
Absolutely has nothing to do with elk hunting boots, but I was just in SE Alaska for 2 weeks and finally picked up a pair of xtratuf boots. I've been wanting them for a while, but you can't find them in Montucky.
Those things are awesome. They had some issues a few years back when they moved production to Coronavirus land, but Iíve heard they ironed them out. Best money youíll spend is on a pair of Bama socks for them. Really cuts down on the perspiration issue. I gave up on Goretex years ago. Now itís rubber boots and PVC rain gear if itís wet.
Old 26 February 2020, 08:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Those things are awesome. They had some issues a few years back when they moved production to Coronavirus land, but Iíve heard they ironed them out. Best money youíll spend is on a pair of Bama socks for them. Really cuts down on the perspiration issue. I gave up on Goretex years ago. Now itís rubber boots and PVC rain gear if itís wet.
I learned the hard way - if you're gonna buy the Bama socks you have to buy the boots at least 1 size too large. Found that out after buying a pair of xtratufs in my usual size.

Oh well. Live and learn....

Our new posting rules