SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 1 November 2018, 12:46
Rage against the machine

Nice work!
Old 1 November 2018, 14:22
Aww F**K it

Thanks.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 4 November 2018, 13:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Could anyone make some suggestions on a 12" compound miter saw?
I'd recommend you get a sliding 12" miter saw- It will allow you to do the work of a radial arm saw and miter saw...

And yeah DeWalt sells a lot of them...
Old 4 November 2018, 21:22
Old Scroll

Scored pretty well this morning: 1950's Duro band saw, 111" blades, all cast iron, 5 hp 110v motor, fence, miter, tilt table.

Also got a 1950's Craftsman 6" jointer.

A good day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018111.jpg (36.9 KB, 191 views)

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Last edited by B 2/75; 4 November 2018 at 21:29.
Old 5 November 2018, 08:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Scored pretty well this morning: 1950's Duro band saw, 111" blades, all cast iron, 5 hp 110v motor, fence, miter, tilt table.

Also got a 1950's Craftsman 6" jointer.

A good day
Nice score, I need to get one. Tried wood-burning for the first time the other day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 53A576B8-1181-435C-BE4C-CC73417D7FEC.jpeg (39.9 KB, 183 views)
Old 27 December 2018, 01:01
Aww F**K it

I built my bride a farmhouse style table for Christmas. My mom asked me tonight when she saw it, “How do you know how to do that?” I told her I don’t know how, if I actually knew what I was doing I probably wouldn’t be able to build a table in about 2days partime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4468F728-27CF-4EBD-B03C-386BE6B20F21.jpg (24.5 KB, 147 views)

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 27 December 2018, 01:02
Mindset is Everything

That is fine work, Brother! Great job!
Old 27 December 2018, 23:23
Aww F**K it

Thanks. I put the first coat of poly on this afternoon. But the temp dropped like 30° in about two hours and my garage gets chilly.

Old 28 December 2018, 17:47
Nexus Schemer

I’m not sure if you have harbour freight. But they have a Hercules branded 12” sliding compound mitre saw with coupon is 299 or so. Now normallly HF is cheaper tools and don’t mind using them for specialty items I normally only use a couple times a year.

If you’re making a living with the tools I probably would pass on them.

With that said I have to say, this Hercules is worth the money. Positive stops for popular angles and square out of the box. The locks and controls are all most identical to dewalt.

If you need one to just do garage work and the odd projects I would certainly buy this one.

So far 360’ of base and toe moulding works like a champ. The led light uses a shadow to create the cut line and its remarkable accurate vs a blade mounted laser

15 amps. Good base and positive controls. Good gift from the wife.
Old 30 December 2018, 01:11
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
I built my bride a farmhouse style table for Christmas. My mom asked me tonight when she saw it, “How do you know how to do that?” I told her I don’t know how, if I actually knew what I was doing I probably wouldn’t be able to build a table in about 2days partime.
Beautiful work! well done!
Old 30 December 2018, 02:39
Aww F**K it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
Beautiful work! well done!
Thanks!!! We got it into the house today. It’s a fairly large table for the area we have but it’ll do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E67504CC-4AAC-44E2-B593-F09C17EC4539.jpg (37.2 KB, 86 views)

Old 30 December 2018, 10:25
I reckon so. . .

Nice work FinsUp! Happy New Year!
Old 30 December 2018, 15:39
Did...did I do that?

Gorgeous piece of furniture. Well done.
Old 30 December 2018, 17:36
The atomic zit

I like clear wood top over the white painted base.

What type of wood did you use?
Old 31 December 2018, 22:10
Aww F**K it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I like clear wood top over the white painted base.

What type of wood did you use?
Just dimension lumber from the lumberyard. I lightly stained it with weathered oak and lime wash glazed the bottom white. It matches the entryway table I built her for our anniversary. My goal was to make it look like it was made from driftwood. My favorite part was weathering(besting the shit out of) the top of the table prior to staining it.

Old 31 December 2018, 23:26
Been There Done That

That is nice. I may have to try that. I am cutting down a couple of pecan trees and i want to try to mill my own boards. I have a place I may be able to get them dried.
I made a cedar toy box for my daughter and had 5 more people ask for one. Turned them out in a few days. Hell I thought those things were cheap till my daughter told me the plastic used ones were going for 50 and the wood ones even used were out of her price range.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 31 December 2018, 23:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
Nice piece of work!

Next time you want to 'weather it' try using a solution of vinegar and soak a half dozen steel wool balls in it for a few days. Strain the solution into a spray applicator and apply then allow the wood to be in the sun for a couple of hours. It will look a hundred years old...
Old 31 December 2018, 23:57
Confirmed User

I don't know if anybody else has done this but I plan on using my GI Bill to go to a close by University and get a degree in wood working, specifically Furniture and cabinetry. I was shocked to see it as an actual 4 year degree when I was researching majors at a local college. I can bang together 2x4's and such but it will be nice to learn how to really work the joinery with some craft and precision.

I am 8 years past retirement and may as well use it for something fun and interesting. Afterwards I plan on just doing it as a hobby and try to sell my work at local craft and vendor shows.

I am sure I have to take plenty of BS classes to go along with the wood working classes to satisfy the core requirements of the school.

Last edited by DB8541; 1 January 2019 at 00:04.
Old 1 January 2019, 00:12
The atomic zit

Lime wash glaze. Hadn’t heard of that...

Wife found this when doing some winter cleaning...

Assumption: a 12” by 12” by 1” piece of wood is one (1) board foot.

I was running through some examples of how to calculate board feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B257E4DF-3E98-4EAB-9752-FD63AC6DDD5A.jpg (19.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 1 January 2019, 00:17
The atomic zit

My FIL has a degree in Furniture Technology, circa 1958. Definitely a lost art. Ask me about the factories I pass between Stanley and Basset VA on my way to the Smith River in VA.

Our new posting rules