SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Military Freefall

Old 29 May 2018, 12:22
Confirmed User

HALO vs AMFF

As someone with no idea it seems HALO wold be a pretty advanced form of free fall. What would an additional school for Advanced Military Free Fall add to the equation?
Old 29 May 2018, 13:16
Unemployed Stunt Double

"HALO" is not an official military acronym.
Old 29 May 2018, 13:22
The Sagacious One

I think your terminology is a bit off, as gavin said. There is MFF and MFFATIC for teams and accelerated military freefall, which is tandem jumping and MFF Jumpmaster Course.

What exactly do you want to know?
Old 29 May 2018, 13:47
Unemployed Stunt Double

He seems to think there is a school called “HALO,” so he is wondering what AMFF is. Since there is no such thing as “HALO,” he should be able to figure it out.
Old 29 May 2018, 13:58
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
As someone with no idea it seems HALO wold be a pretty advanced form of free fall. What would an additional school for Advanced Military Free Fall add to the equation?
“Advanced” as in that’s what 99% of civilians do everyday. High Altitude Low Opening (HALO).
Old 29 May 2018, 14:36
Confirmed User

Was just curious really. Saw it on a list of "schools completed" . Also was jump master , and a very specific chute that I don't remember. But HALO and Advanced Military Free Fall were listed seperate which generated the question. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 30 May 2018, 06:01
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Was just curious really. Saw it on a list of "schools completed" . Also was jump master , and a very specific chute that I don't remember. But HALO and Advanced Military Free Fall were listed seperate which generated the question. Thanks for taking the time.
Para-Commander?
And fuck you guys, I didn't jump them in HAL.... uh MFF School.
Old 30 May 2018, 11:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Para-Commander?
And fuck you guys, I didn't jump them in HAL.... uh MFF School.
You mean the MC-3...
Old 29 May 2018, 14:49
BTDT

The Advanced Military Free Fall Parachutist Course is an old acronym from about 10+ years ago. It was used as the MFF Instructor Course until the name was changed to "MFF Instructor Course"
The AMFFPC/MFFIC does not produce instructors - the course produces a student that is ready to enter the candidate program.

HALO is not a school - it is a method of infiltration just like HAHO, static line, air assault, or overland movement
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 30 May 2018, 00:04
In Vino Veritas

As for a specific chute that depends on service? There is only one authorized MFFJM course (well, there’s another one really) across the services. IME depending on what chute they jump is the one the train on durning JM. However, my cert doesn’t say MC-4 qualified JM.
Old 14 June 2018, 23:52
jump fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
As for a specific chute that depends on service? There is only one authorized MFFJM course (well, there’s another one really) across the services. IME depending on what chute they jump is the one the train on durning JM. However, my cert doesn’t say MC-4 qualified JM.
Being Yuma trained I concur.

However now there's an AF one at DM here that checks the same blocks. Is there a Navy version of MFFJM yet?
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 15 June 2018, 02:29
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
Is there a Navy version of MFFJM yet?
Yes, but it is not a "regular" course. Run by contract MFFIs from time to time, meets SOCOM standards.
Old 18 June 2018, 06:52
jump fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Yes, but it is not a "regular" course. Run by contract MFFIs from time to time, meets SOCOM standards.
Gotcha. Thanks!
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 30 May 2018, 14:11
BTDT

I would bet if this was recent that it was "MC-6 Jumpmaster" since there was a brief period where not everyone had been transitioned to the MC-6.
Someone from the same era as the "AMFFPC" acronym would not be out of place to say they were MC-6 JM qualified because of the way NET was being done.

It isn't 'HALO' school and a JM is a JM but what is being suggested makes sense depending on the time frame.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 30 May 2018, 15:14
Confirmed User

I went back and looked and the jump training was not sequential but included the following.
Basic Airborne
Basic Military Free Fall (HALO)
Jump Master
Advanced Military free Fall
Instructor Training
MC5 Jump Master.
Old 30 May 2018, 15:23
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
I went back and looked and the jump training was not sequential but included the following.
Basic Airborne
Basic Military Free Fall (HALO)
Jump Master
Advanced Military free Fall
Instructor Training
MC5 Jump Master.
Is this a poser check, or what?
Old 30 May 2018, 15:37
Confirmed User

No, originally I was asking what the additional training would be from HALO to Advanced.
What I learned was there is no HALO it was part of basic and the difference seems to be that a point in time Advance was a precursor to instructor training. So makes sense to me now. Thanks again for taking the time to sort me out.
Old 30 May 2018, 15:46
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
No, originally I was asking what the additional training would be from HALO to Advanced.
What I learned was there is no HALO it was part of basic and the difference seems to be that a point in time Advance was a precursor to instructor training. So makes sense to me now. Thanks again for taking the time to sort me out.
Uh, no.

HALO, or High Altitude Low Opening, is one of the common terms for a specific infil technique. Common, but not official.

The Military Freefall Parachutist's Course (MFFPC) is the official name for the 1st SWTG course often called "HALO school."

As I wrote way up top, HALO is not an official military term. It is an acronym in common usage, but is not official. People say HALO and HAHO (High Altitude High Opening), but the actual acronyms are HA and SO (HA, High Altitude, or SO, Stand Off). We like to change acronyms a lot in the Army, so, give it a week, and it will change, again.

Refer to Box's post about the history of the instructor qualification for instructors assigned to the MFFPC and other courses at YPGAZ (MFFJM and MFFATIC, etc).
Old 30 May 2018, 16:17
Confirmed User

Let me rephrase : What I learned was there is no HALO school per say it was a technique learned at Basic Military Free Fall. The Advanced Military Free Fall course at a point in time (10+ years) was a precursor for Instructor candidates.

Would an MFFI billet be a coveted spot?
Old 30 May 2018, 16:36
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Would an MFFI billet be a coveted spot?
Not necessarily. Depends on one's particular career and assignment goals.

Within USASOC, I'm not sure I would term any particular position "coveted." There are ups and downs to any assignment.

Our new posting rules