SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewmen (SWCC)

Old 20 July 2018, 13:21
Been There Done That

SWCC 100th Class Grad

Nice write up in the local paper on SWCC. Congratulations, On Time, On Target, Never Quit!!

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...20Bird%20Brief
Old 20 July 2018, 15:35
0311/8651

I always think of my friend Wiley Coyote, PBR in Nam; we talked this morning.
Old 20 July 2018, 16:35
Authorized Personnel

I attended it last minute with a former boat guy who I deployed with and went to SWCC with. It was great seeing tons of familar faces both retired and still AD. Some new traditions instituted which was also nice to see. We got a personalized tour of the schoolhouse later, and I was shocked to see how far the program has come, not to mention the facilities, boats, curriculum,length, etc. Anyways, great day catching up with some old friends and seeing the newest class of boat guys.
Old 20 July 2018, 22:19
Confirmed User

Congratulations to all the guys who graduated!
Old 21 July 2018, 09:53
Been There Done That

Bravo Zulu Boys!
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 23 July 2018, 08:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph View Post
I attended it last minute with a former boat guy who I deployed with and went to SWCC with. It was great seeing tons of familar faces both retired and still AD. Some new traditions instituted which was also nice to see. We got a personalized tour of the schoolhouse later, and I was shocked to see how far the program has come, not to mention the facilities, boats, curriculum,length, etc. Anyways, great day catching up with some old friends and seeing the newest class of boat guys.
I read that article and really loved the new traditions described.

I am old (Class 23).

Going to the Boat Show at the Reunion this year gave me the same feeling.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 23 July 2018, 08:15
Been There Done That

Glad to hear it continues to move forward and new traditions are being formed.
Old 8 August 2018, 20:45

Excellent article and spoke with a couple of great, active duty friends recently about many cool changes in the community.
Class 54 was a long time ago...
Old 11 August 2018, 16:36
ditch digger

maturation of a long needed career field
Old 8 September 2018, 17:44
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Nice.

Really like the award of the compass in box to each student. That is a nice award and like the symbolism.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 September 2018, 18:36
0311/8651

Had lunch with Nam boat guy, Wiley Coyote,TF -116
Old 18 September 2018, 14:38
Confirmed User

Congratulations to the lads. A great milestone.
The part "Unlike the SEALs, the SWCC community does not have its own officer corps. " pains me a bit. I have served with some GREAT Boat Guys who wore Tridents but I still think there's a place for Boat Guy- SWCCC officers. The SWCCC's should be able to aspire to Command.
Yeah, I know there's a Warrant program and that's a good thing too. It's not Command.
The school is impressive; we got tours of it during a reunion a couple of years back.
Old 18 September 2018, 15:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRGuy View Post
Congratulations to the lads. A great milestone.
The part "Unlike the SEALs, the SWCC community does not have its own officer corps. " pains me a bit. I have served with some GREAT Boat Guys who wore Tridents but I still think there's a place for Boat Guy- SWCCC officers. The SWCCC's should be able to aspire to Command.
Yeah, I know there's a Warrant program and that's a good thing too. It's not Command.
The school is impressive; we got tours of it during a reunion a couple of years back.
I don't know if I agree with you about the Officer Corps. Frogs taught me a hell of a lot about the mission and myself. Frog Officers are expected to lead from the get go, starting with BUDS. Maybe if we cycle SWCC O's through the school house in the same way, then maybe so. I know I was far more impressed and willing to follow (Respect) the Frog Officers we had at the Boat Unit over the standard SWO and BUDS drop outs we got. I did have an LT Mustang from the fleet that was pretty good. He was the first Dept. Head of the HSB program we launched at 12.

We'll have to debate over a few adult beverages if you still imbibe, at the 55th. October - November time frame 2019.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 18 September 2018, 22:15
Been There Done That

In my opinion there are pros and cons for both our own, and having SEAL officers.
Old 19 September 2018, 09:28
Been There Done That

Too small a community to support an actual officer community.

I personally liked the SWOs. I had really good ones, and a lot of times we interacted with the Navy enough to find them useful.

Frog officers at the det level were frequently IME super junior and were more in receive mode than anything else. In training and ops as DHs they were good to go.

I only worked with one (the first) SWCC Warrant. He was the right pick.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 19 September 2018, 17:07
Been There Done That

I don’t see why it’s too small for an officer corps. There are plenty of people who want to become officers and are leaving the community to do so. I would most like to see SWCC have it’s own officers, but I’d much rather have SEAL officers than some random fleet officer just selecting a billet though. The experience level of the O’s coming in as troop commanders isn’t that important in my opinion, because everything is really decided at the chief level anyway.
Old 19 September 2018, 19:01
Been There Done That

I did not have good SWOs. One was a stupid, fat douche, the other chicken shit. I had a shitty warrant in our engineering department that pretty much demanded that my Wife get an abortion during a difficult pregnancy. The Frog Officers I had were stellar even when they came off with that "Frog" hard ass, everything is so serious attitude. Had one that was such a tight ass, I often wondered if his shit came out as little brown 10 Ten Penny nails.
Old 21 September 2018, 21:48
Confirmed User

Their were a few SWO's that were ok, I can think of a couple that were awesome. And few that were complete retards, including one I refused to leave the dock if he was on the boat. But I didn't think the ratio between good and bad was any different than the fleet.

I hardly interacted with the frog officers, excepting the ops boss after I made E6. So I can't really make any judgements either way about them.

Quote:
I did not have good SWOs. One was a stupid, fat douche, the other chicken shit.
Pretty sure I know exactly who you're talking about!

Our new posting rules