SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 18 September 2018, 15:41
Confirmed User

Slide Stain

I posted this on another forum, and didn't get much traction other than I would have to send it back to DW to get re-coated.

Bottom line, I screwed up and sprayed some CLP on the slide of my Dan Wesson Valkyrie, left for a few minutes to take a phone call, and came back to a seemingly permanent stain on the slide. I've tried Ballistol oil and gently rubbed/brushed-- but no luck. Also tried Rem-Oil with the same negative results.

Yes, I have guns I run hard and don't care if it gets holster wear and whatnot- but this firearm was a luxury item that I simply enjoyed shooting, though it's not even broken in yet...

Any suggestions towards removing the stain is greatly appreciated; just figured someone might have an ancient Chinese secret they might share.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180914_173431_resized (1).jpg (29.7 KB, 149 views)
Old 18 September 2018, 19:49
BTDT

I'm just spitballing but if you consider that CLP contains greases/oils that that supposedly cling to the metal better than run of the mill gun oils then it follows that using "lesser" oils to clean it of won't work. I'd try Gunscrubber or some other cleaner first to strip the CLP off, then apply another oil. I deal mostly with rust blued guns so I clean with acetone or denatured alcohol. I don't know how that might effect a different finish like the various chemical blues, coatings or parkerizing. Caution is you friend. Whatever cleaner you decide to go with pull off the grips and dab a bit on the finish in the covered area to check for reaction.

ETA: it looks like your finish reacted with something in the CLP. Can you feel any difference in the stained area?

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 18 September 2018, 20:44
Confirmed User

No difference in the feel to the affected area. Like I mentioned I screwed up as it states in the owner's manual under maintenance;

'We do not recommend the use of Rem Oil, CLP, Hoppe's elite gun oil, Slip 2000 or various other thin gun oils or grease on our firearms....use only high quality cleaning solvent (barrel only) as solvents can discolor your Duty Finish.'

Which I ignored reading beforehand because, hey, my dumbass knows how to field strip and completely disassemble a 1911.
Hard lesson learned for being stupid. Someone recommended completely soaking the slide in Mobile One for a few days-- doesn't sound right to me.

I'll go with what you suggest and remove the grips to test out an oil recommended in the manual. Thank you for your input.
Old 18 September 2018, 20:45
Freelancer

RN try SEAL-1 never had it stain FDE finishes or blue etc.
Old 18 September 2018, 21:34
BTDT

If you're going to end up sending the gun back to be re-coated anyway you can try buffing the area with a (very) mild abrasive like jeweler's rouge, Brasso, or a gel toothpaste. Use a cotton ball or your fingertip. Coatings are thicker than blues You have a little thickness to play with and might get away with it. The problem with fixing a nice gun is that even if it's impossible to see the repair, you'll know it's there.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 18 September 2018, 21:42
The Sagacious One

What is the original color of the finish? Is the light color the original or the stain? I would try soaking it in CLP and see what that does. More than likely if it doesn't scrub off and as stated, you will be getting it refinished anyway. I would think it wise to consider a different finish.
Old 19 September 2018, 05:20
Make a desert and call it peace.

If the problem is staining, might as well try using a legitimate solvent, progressing from tame stuff like toluene/paint thinner to aggressive shit like acetone.

Obvious question, did you call DW and ask if they have a solution? S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 19 September 2018, 09:30
Freelancer

I guess the DW duty finish is more for looks than duty.
Old 19 September 2018, 09:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickT View Post
If you're going to end up sending the gun back to be re-coated anyway you can try buffing the area with a (very) mild abrasive like jeweler's rouge, Brasso, or a gel toothpaste. Use a cotton ball or your fingertip. Coatings are thicker than blues You have a little thickness to play with and might get away with it. The problem with fixing a nice gun is that even if it's impossible to see the repair, you'll know it's there.
I was thinking about using some Flitz with a soft polishing cloth, but after reading the FAQ on the Dan Wesson website, I will probably hold off until I try their recommended solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
What is the original color of the finish? Is the light color the original or the stain? I would try soaking it in CLP and see what that does. More than likely if it doesn't scrub off and as stated, you will be getting it refinished anyway. I would think it wise to consider a different finish.
The original color is called Black Duty Finish--(pic attached). It is a ferritic nitrocarburizing treatment of the stainless at the molecular level. Dan Wesson's FAQ on their website specifically says do NOT use CLP as it will stain their finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
If the problem is staining, might as well try using a legitimate solvent, progressing from tame stuff like toluene/paint thinner to aggressive shit like acetone.

Obvious question, did you call DW and ask if they have a solution? S/F....Ken M
Dan Wesson specifically mentions to avoid using products with toluene on firearms with their Duty Treat. DW customer service recommended Shooter's Choice FP-10 for everything & Kano Kroil for stubborn stains. Looks like I will be trying that.

Thanks for everyone's input- it definitely helped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180723_121737_resized.jpg (54.1 KB, 103 views)
Old 20 September 2018, 17:35
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I buy guns to shoot not to look at.
Same. Kind of got off that track a little with this 1911 and a Uberti/Colt 1873 single action Army I got as a retirement gift from my guys. Only two presentation type guns I've ever owned, and it took a couple years but I've come to the conclusion that they're wasted sitting in a box or a display case.
Old 20 September 2018, 23:26
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I guess the DW duty finish is more for looks than duty.
That is my take-away here...a weapon finish that gets marred by CLP...I'd Cerakote it and drive on.
Old 21 September 2018, 00:31
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
That is my take-away here...a weapon finish that gets marred by CLP...I'd Cerakote it and drive on.

Flat Dark Earth.
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper

Our new posting rules