Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 7 January 2018, 21:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoddude View Post
FKL
I am not sure what you are saying.
It seems you are giving the impression that a GJ can return a true bill based on hearsay???
I am probably not clear on this.
Like it or not, per the USSC, yes.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed.../359/case.html
Old 8 January 2018, 01:05
Six Minutes!

I don't have small dick syndrome, I've never considered myself a "gotcha" Perry Mason kind of guy. I don't watch TV, and that includes the stupid crime dramas.

I do not have a chip on my shoulder for Law Enforcement Officers. 3 of my immediate relatives are Cops. My best friend of 20+ years is a Cop. As a USAF SF augmentee for several months, I volunteered for several training opportunities with local Cops.

FKL got it exactly right. Either the Cop or the DA was lazy, and/or didn't have their shit together. This was no "CSI" moment, no hollywood bullshit.

I'm in a shitty situation. I cannot give the details, or defend my position with facts. I'm not a dumbass, and I am correct in my assessment, but I cannot say any more.

Either I'm a cop hating piece of shit and giving you guys a BS story, or I'm an honest citizen with the best interests of justice at heart, and offering a Joe Citizen's advice for LEO's to ensure they are doing their jobs as effectively as possible.

If I've gathered anything from this thread and my experiences, the Us vs Them mentality is in full swing, and that is unfortunate, because most of us joe citizens want bad guys to go to jail too.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 8 January 2018, 03:06
Sheepdog

The "simple people" on the grand jury are lucky you're there to guide them.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 8 January 2018, 03:20
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
The "simple people" on the grand jury are lucky you're there to guide them.
Wow, your dick must be be really small.

You seem like a good dude, but your bias makes you look like a douche.

Old 8 January 2018, 03:30
Sheepdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
Wow, your dick must be be really small.

You seem like a good dude, but your bias makes you look like a douche.
I'm a great dude, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with someone like you on a grand jury who sneers at his fellow jurors, the prosecutor, and the police officer as being your intellectual inferiors. This entire post comes off as you humble bragging about how intelligent you are, the hero of the situation who is much wiser and educated in the ways of the law than the people who do it for a living or the "simple people" you are on the jury with.

You describe yourself as a
Quote:
"I’m a type A+++ personality and I’m a dork- the kind of dork who reads case law out of boredom when I am curious about a random situation. I’m not a lawyer, but I once spent 6 hours reading AK Supreme Court rulings out of curiosity.
Quote:
Pleasantly surprised, my co-jurors are interested in such esoterica."
I too love it when simple folk allow me to educate them.

Given your personality traits and knowledge of the law it must be difficult to slow it down to the pace of the average person.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 8 January 2018, 03:45
Six Minutes!

Aren't you so smug.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm on of the more conservative members of my panel, and I am the more willing to vote a true bill.

I get it. Your're a professional. You are consumate in your abilities above question, and no such lay person as me should ever question your professionalism. How dare someone of my lay abilities try to sway my colleagues to justice... we should just trust you fellas to do the right thing all the time... always.

Old 8 January 2018, 04:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Aren't you so smug.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm on of the more conservative members of my panel, and I am the more willing to vote a true bill.

I get it. Your're a professional. You are consumate in your abilities above question, and no such lay person as me should ever question your professionalism. How dare someone of my lay abilities try to sway my colleagues to justice... we should just trust you fellas to do the right thing all the time... always.
You seem overly concerned with other male member's genitalia size. Just an observation.

If a firearm was part of the case, then yes, all of the information about it should have been documented. I cannot imagine an agency that wouldn't, but who knows. Also, maybe the cop screwed up by either not knowing it, not recording it, or failing to have his report with him. No idea.

I thought that you were going to stay out of this thread after acknowledging that it may not have been a good idea in the first place.

Calm down. Do the right thing, whatever that may be.

Last edited by Wes; 8 January 2018 at 04:20.
Old 8 January 2018, 09:05
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Aren't you so smug.

Read your initial post again and try to do it from a LEO's perspective. I understand your POV, but it does come across another way and another message is being received by those of us that spend a lot of time in GJ rooms.

Nothing personal, but...you are now getting that way and this thread will be shut down fairly soon if it doesn't get toned down a little.
A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That’s control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That’s abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions. -- Carlos Castaneda
Old 8 January 2018, 14:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Either I'm a cop hating piece of shit and giving you guys a BS story, or I'm an honest citizen with the best interests of justice at heart, and offering a Joe Citizen's advice for LEO's to ensure they are doing their jobs as effectively as possible.

If I've gathered anything from this thread and my experiences, the Us vs Them mentality is in full swing, and that is unfortunate, because most of us joe citizens want bad guys to go to jail too.
None of that is necessarily true. However understand that you started a thread where you said (obviously paraphrasing), "This happened and it's really important, but I can't talk about it."

My first question, as was posted by someone else, was why would make and model matter? Either the suspect was armed or not. However if there is language in the law in your AO that makes the make/model/etc. directly germane to the elements of the crime, then it would make total and complete sense. However, refer to the previous statement about you not being able to clarify or talk about it. For me, the questions posed are simply others trying to figure out what you're talking about, yet you can't respond in specifics. That's not a recipe for any form of meaningful or effective conversation.

Multiple things can be true at once. I completely agree that officers/detectives should be detail oriented to the point of being anally retentive and annoying to the reader of any report. No argument there, none. At the same time I too have been the victim (failed attempt) of a Perry Mason type at Grand Jury who had their heart in the right place by asking certain questions, but were head up ass in their reasoning. It's annoying, but that doesn't mean that was your intent, only you know that.

None of the questions in this thread (IMO) show "Us vs Them." I think it really comes down to our desire of specifics (you know, cops wanting to be detailed and all that ) , and your lack of ability to provide them. That is ambiguous to say the least. And to put it out there right up front so there's no questioning it, I have an average sized penis. But to use the cliche...I ride it like I stole it.
Old 8 January 2018, 18:46
sterious scizor

TYFYCD
Old 8 January 2018, 21:36
Authorized Personnel

Well that escalated quickly.
Old 8 January 2018, 21:38
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Well that escalated quickly.
That's one of the reasons I wish the entire "Law Enforcement" category would disappear. This site has lost a lot of good people over that section alone.
A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That’s control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That’s abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions. -- Carlos Castaneda
Old 8 January 2018, 22:06
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
That's one of the reasons I wish the entire "Law Enforcement" category would disappear. This site has lost a lot of good people over that section alone.
Very true.
Old 8 January 2018, 22:51
Sheepdog

It could be great.

Old Yesterday, 02:13
Very Deplorable

Isn't Alaska a constitutional carry state? You can conceal any firearm you'd like...

Our new posting rules