SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 8 April 2015, 21:19
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
The ceremony is a joke, yes, but I think there is merit to the fact that killing a police dog can get someone in as much trouble as killing a police human, esp when there are so many instances of police humans killing non-police dogs.
Outstanding!
Old 8 April 2015, 21:59
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Be kind of funny if one of these days the dog grabs the bible and rips it to shreds.

Christians will go on a rampage, I'm sure.
Old 10 April 2015, 00:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCOM View Post
Using this fantastic device called Google I found:
I am continuing my earlier comments on the Googled cases...

Your cite from Allentown says the offender was sent to jail for striking a police officer and then trying to break the neck of a police dog... among other things. It specifically makes my point when it says,

Quote:
Hanna said that although K-9 dogs are considered officers within the department, a person who attacks a police dog can't be charged with assault under the law. Instead, the charge is animal cruelty.
I said I wouldn’t take up your proposed law, but I do because the point that the law professors make underscores my own. For what its worth, State Senator Jeff Mullis is an idiot, but he has an unlimited right to propose as many laws as he likes. If the legislature agrees to take up his foolishness and pass it, I would have to assume it wouldn't stand.

From your link…

Quote:
Now, someone who injures or kills a police K-9 like Tanja faces one to five years in prison. If Mullis' bill is passed, the punishment would rise 10-30 years in prison, the same as accidentally killing a child being disciplined.

Mullis said he looks forward to hearing the opposition on the case. And that certainly exists.

"This is kind of wacky," Georgia State law professor Russell Covey said Friday after reading the bill.

Donald E. Wilkes Jr., a professor of law emeritus at the University of Georgia, felt the same way. "To criminalize the killing of a dog as murder is unbelievably weird," Wilkes said.

By the legal definition, Wilkes said, only humans can be murdered. In his 40 years of teaching, he has never seen a law that applies murder to an animal. And while killing an animal is awful, he said, laws already cover the crime.
Your final citation references a kid that got sentenced for three felony counts: burglary of a dwelling with a firearm, shooting into a building and cruelty to animals with a firearm.

Last edited by Dziadek; 10 April 2015 at 00:12. Reason: format
Old 11 April 2015, 18:13
On the Extract Bird

Pushing the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dziadek View Post

"Push comes to shove, and she is food for me and my family."

Push comes to shove my family is food for me and my dog.

By the way, in Maryland, until 2006 or 7 it was only a $50 misdemeanor to assault a cop.
Old 17 April 2015, 07:08
Confirmed User

Art,

I am curious if it was only a $50 misdemeanor to assault a private person at that time? Was it truly the case that as soon as a man put on a uniform, the law felt he was less worthy of protection?

And are we talking about assault or battery or both?
Old 18 April 2015, 13:25
On the Extract Bird

$50 fine for assault/battery on officer in Md 2007

I will not say that a person's worth is decreased when they put on a uniform. The law evolved long ago and was simply never updated until a couple cases were broadcast and the news people asked about it.

Like many other state laws which have not been modernized it just became an extra thing to throw at a suspect. I am not now certain as to which (battery or assault) was the cause.

I was a Md Natural Resources Police Reserve Officer for a number of years and was sworn but not commissioned and wore both NRP uniform and RO badge, normally unarmed, but if required could be armed if an accompanying officer saw it to be necessary in some way for very limited circumstances.. Assuming of course I met the requisite standards and requirements and was agreeable..

As such I and other ROs were sometimes subjected to some of the same abuses as commissioned officers. Drunken local polititians hits you with his car at community event where you may be working. Drivers throw things at or near because in Maryland many in the public did not think that NRP was a real police force (NRP = Not Real Police, critter cops, cop scouts, bunny bangers, etc)

And yes in Maryland people DID in fact attack officers just because of this type of silliness.

I will also add that because I was training a tracking dog while wearing the RO uniform, I was subject to and covered by all of the same laws, rules, and regulations as a commissioned k9 officer.

At the time the Casey Anthony trial had not happened yet but the defense used against the cadaver dogs applied to Md as well. PDs were waiting to see what courts would decide about k9 use.

My dog did not receive any training as an enforcement officer. I even had to be very careful to not let anyone see her identifying pot. Apparently previous owners may have used it as a treat for her. She was a year old shelter dog when I got her, and I had to keep her at distances from the public and other officers so that no one could make a claim that she was involved in any police action other than public or community service.

But dog was active in community events like fishing derbys, boat shows (had to really watch her at these as she was known to take a fish or two, out of the water, or off a hook), public fairs, etc.., basically anywhere there was a low probability of significant police presence.

My becoming an NRP RO was founded upon being Search and Rescue not anything like police work. I received Md official SAR training and that was what I planned to do.

Last edited by Art Brown; 18 April 2015 at 13:50. Reason: Add note about canines and uniformed handlers
Old 20 April 2015, 22:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dziadek View Post
Your cite from Pittsburgh, PA - Man Who Fatally Stabbed Police K-9 Gets Up To 44 Years In Prison is a case study in a point I have made before. The headline is not the meat of the story. The headline is often written by someone who is not even the author. It is designed to get you to read on. If you read that story further you see that the PA man was convicted of "torturing a police animal, aggravated assault on the dog's handler and three other officers, and other offenses" including failure to register as a sex offender and probation violation.
The sentence does not include the sex offense. He was sentenced concurrently because he killed a police dog-- no question about it.
Quote:
The judge broke the sentence down charge by charge: 2 to 7 years for disarming a law enforcement officer; 3 years and 4 months up to 7 years for killing a police animal; 3 years to 7 years for each of four counts of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer.
That whole case is fucked for so many reasons. The guy was known to have a knife, they sent the dog in, and the dog dies. It sucks, and the dude needs punishment and/rehabilitation, but what the fuck does anyone expect? Again, it's not about being anti-cop, it's about a two-tiered justice system.
Old 11 December 2017, 09:38
Authorized Personnel

Are there extra charges if the dog stolen is a Sherriff's K9?

I tried to post the link but it's 'invalid'. Charlotte County Sheriff Office is looking for Edo. Seems he got out of a kennel and isn't wearing a collar (Sheriff's policy on collar while in kennel). They don't think he got out by himself. A lot of assets being put into search.

Would a well trained German Shepard make a good pet?
Old 11 December 2017, 16:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post

Absolutely. But only if he/she likes you.
Old 11 December 2017, 17:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Are there extra charges if the dog stolen is a Sherriff's K9?

I tried to post the link but it's 'invalid'. Charlotte County Sheriff Office is looking for Edo. Seems he got out of a kennel and isn't wearing a collar (Sheriff's policy on collar while in kennel). They don't think he got out by himself. A lot of assets being put into search.

How about if the dog is cooked to death by his handler? You want to be disgusted, check out ODMP's K9 page and see how many dogs died this year because they were left in a car and overheated. If I'm counting correctly, it's 7 for 22.

https://www.odmp.org/search?cause=He...m=2017&to=2017
Old 11 December 2017, 17:43
Authorized Personnel

Sad ending, Edo was found dead this morning. No details...
Old 12 December 2017, 19:20
Been There Done That

Interesting

I used to have retards above me say my horse was not covered.
this states other wise

http://law.onecle.com/uscode/18/1368.html

Our new posting rules