Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 4 June 2009, 09:47
BTDT

84 Charlie MOPIC http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096744/

Final Option <---pretty kick ass for an early 80's film

P
Old 23 October 2009, 19:30
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Blast of Silence

Good, not great, independent low budget movie made on location in NYC and released in 1961.

If you're a fan of film noir, you'll appreciate this flick. It has elements that certainly influenced Scorcese, who saw it when he was a film student. It will remind you a little bit of a stripped down Mean Streets, except for the plot and the fact that it's in black and white.

The guy who directed and starred in it, Allen Baron, probably would have gone on to directing bigger films if he'd made this a little sooner or a little later in his career. The Criterion DVD has a cool little extra entitled Requiem for a Killer, and has Baron going back to New York and revisiting many of the locations where he shot the movie.

Neat little trivia, he was friends with Peter Falk, who was originally going to star in the feature role, but instead took a paying part in the movie Murder, Inc.

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/546
Old 23 October 2009, 21:50
Confirmed User

WHATEVER YOU DO. Don't watch Tunnel Rats. I got roped into watching it a few days ago. I really honestly think that it was made entirely by film students from Berkley.

Damn near every US soldier was a pot smoking murdering douchebag and the VC are brave common men nobely fighting to further the ideals of social justice. Right down to carefully lighted commie propaganda on the walls IN THE TUNNELS and shooting the VC officers in heroic poses with dramatic lighting. It was painful and the lefty political agenda coup de gras........at the end of the movie the VC are actually wearing Kefiyyas (sp?, "peace scarves")

I think maybe a boy scout could have done a better job advising them on things military as well. It's a Vietnam era movie and they had US soldiers carrying M16A2s and flat top M4s, wearing modern armor! The only thing that could have redeemed it is if Dolf Lundgren had popped out and fought Chuck Norris to the death.
Old 5 November 2009, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo_One_Three View Post
Now that I think about it, you should see my workshop. All the screwdrivers, wrenches, sockets, saw blades, sandpaper packs, milling bits, screws, nails… all arranged by size and type… FUCK, I NEED HELP! Although, in my defense, it IS a mess in there :D I wonder why I have seen fit to neglect my closet and my side of the dresser... that area DEFINES what a mess is!
We feel the need to be obsessive compulsive in certain parts of our lives that we have control over so I'm told.

Wow I started a list of just Vietnam movies that I loved but then after perusing everyone else's I feel inadequate.
Anyway my top 10 Vietnam movies not in any particular order except for the first 5
1. Full Metal Jacket
2. We Were Soldiers
3. Hamburger Hill
4. Apocalypse Now
5. The Deer Hunter
6. Rescue Dawn
7. Green Berets
8. UnCommon Valor
9. Good Morning, Vietnam
10. Deer Hunter

But other movies that I have to watch when they are on television for no particular reason:
Bullet Proof Monk
The Rundown
30 Days of Night
WWII Films:
Kelly's Heroes
Saving Private Ryan
The Dirty Dozen
Old 8 November 2009, 00:33
Been There Done That

Favorite Movies

Dont watch a whole lot of movies, but my favs are:

Saving private Ryan
Braveheart
Band of Brothers
Blackhawk down
We were Soldiers

Worst
Jarhead
Alcatraz (Or somthing like that?)
Heartbreak Ridge
Old 13 November 2009, 17:49

Center yourself in the hatch!

I just watched The D.I. all the way through for the first time. Pretty good, even with all the cliches tossed about.

They even had their own Pyle, although Gunny Moore wasn't nearly as tough on his version as Gunny Hartman was on his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwnPDNOAKhs
Old 13 November 2009, 17:53
Authorized Personnel

Hamburger Hill.

All my life I wanted to go up in society. Where everything higher was legal, straight. But the higher I go, the more crooked it becomes. Where the hell does it end? -- Michael Corleone

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -- Mark 8:36 KJV

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were going all the way. -- Captain Willard

Last edited by Stanley_White; 13 November 2009 at 17:57.
Old 13 November 2009, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_White View Post
Thief with James Caan.
One of the best Chicago movies ever filmed, covered a lot of bases. If you get it on DVD, the commentary track by Mann is pretty cool.

Also Dennis Farina's first movie role, as I recall, and he was still working for the CPD at the time.

The funny thing is that Farina played a hood, while one of the "cops" that pulls over Caan early on was a former jewel thief who had done time.
Old 23 November 2009, 06:22

I know I am in good company when someone mentions 'Raising Arizona'! You know a movie is ground into your brain when you constnatly quote it without realizing it.

Just re watched "The Big Lebowski" - John Goodmans constant commentary on serving his country is brilliant. The dude abides!

I liked Connery and Nicolas Cage alot in that one movie about escape from Alcatraz? Can't recall the name.

Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban achiever View Post
"The Man Who Would Be King"- great work by Connery and Caine
"True Romance"- the scene between Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper is awesome.
"Raising Arizona" - and almost every other Coen Brothers movie
Old 5 December 2009, 23:30

Hows about Enemy at the gate. I know they were Russians and Germans but that was good entertainment. That boat ride in the beginning would get anyone's attention.
Old 6 December 2009, 01:23
On the Extract Bird

Not the greatest movie, but the best love story ever...Brokeback Mountain. Definitely the saddest love story ever made.
Old 6 December 2009, 09:20
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbsqd View Post
Not the greatest movie, but the best love story ever...Brokeback Mountain. Definitely the saddest love story ever made.
Not sure that I'd admit watching that one... (not sure which smiley to put either).
Old 11 December 2009, 22:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
No, that was Deliverance!!!
Old 13 December 2009, 22:14
At the Barn

Quote:

I have never!!........
Old 13 December 2009, 22:19
On the Extract Bird

KimberChick,

I'll tell you a story from Iraq about this movie. On Thursday nights about 20 of us would gather around a common area at the camp and trade DVDs. Most were haji copies that we all acquired in our ME travels. Well, as a joke I would always bring Brokeback Mountain and offer it up. Of course I always got "fuck that shit", "bullshit, fucking fag movie", etc. But it almost never failed that later that night there would be a knock at the door and one of the other EOD guys, or one of the security guys, would tap on my hooch door with some excuse about having no more movies and ask if he could borrow some. It was almost always a cover for wanting to see BM!

However, I must toss in the towel and say that another movie I watched lately may actually take the place of BM for saddest movie....The Wrestler. Holy Christ what a sad movie!!!
Old 16 December 2009, 23:30
At the Barn

Quote:
KimberChick,

I'll tell you a story from Iraq about this movie. On Thursday nights about 20 of us would gather around a common area at the camp and trade DVDs. Most were haji copies that we all acquired in our ME travels. Well, as a joke I would always bring Brokeback Mountain and offer it up. Of course I always got "fuck that shit", "bullshit, fucking fag movie", etc. But it almost never failed that later that night there would be a knock at the door and one of the other EOD guys, or one of the security guys, would tap on my hooch door with some excuse about having no more movies and ask if he could borrow some. It was almost always a cover for wanting to see BM!

However, I must toss in the towel and say that another movie I watched lately may actually take the place of BM for saddest movie....The Wrestler. Holy Christ what a sad movie!!!
I bet, men are as fickle as women who say they don't shiit or fart....whatever!
Old 17 December 2009, 00:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
KimberChick,

As long as that is your ONLY "Broke Back" tale, I guess it's acceptable.
Old 13 January 2010, 01:03
Confirmed User

l know l'm way off base here, bein' an FNG .. but what about post civil war ....

The Outlaw Josie Wales .. "buzzards gotta eat too" .. "you get those holes ta bleedin' all over Missourah .. l'll whup you with a knotted plow line" .. "you gonna pull them pistols or whistle dixie ?" .. "dyin' aint much of o' livin', boy" ..

.. and of course:

FMJ .. Kubrick got this one right .. " the duality of man .. that Jungian thing" .. l personally channel Animal Mother when all other forms of diplomacy have failed to produce the expected respoens .. caution: racial slur ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8x968FQiqs

R. Lee is God ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdytWbl9sh8

.. but did you see him take a face full o' .44 mag recoil on his latest re-tread of that army munitions shoot'em up on Discovery or History channel ? .. Bloody nose and all .. the Gunny kept on filming .. booyah ! ... They got new high-speed cameras to slow down the ballistic ballet at impact .. gel and watermelon bad guys .. lol

Btw, Top 10 WTF on mil channel for 5th time this week .. ? New programming please ..
Old 13 January 2010, 01:17
shiver me timbers

Just read the book 'Shutter Island', which is an upcoming movie, and should be a pretty good movie if hollywood treated the story truly.
Old 14 February 2010, 22:43

We Were Soldiers
Sand Pebbles (Hey its about a snipe)

Our new posting rules