Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 15 December 2017, 12:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
I would rather a quality understaffed department than one with three times the unqualified people to simply fill numbers.

Recipe for disaster!

Start lowering standards and you will reap what you sow!
Yep. when I see multiple police officers arrive at an intersection with a perfectly functioning traffic signal, get out of their cars to go stand in the middle of the intersection, and manage to fuck up traffic for the next couple hours, I cant help but think we would do just fine with a few less officers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I saw someone on the news comment the other day that they think raising LE pay too much had a negative effect. When LE pay was lower the people who gravitated to LE were there because they loved the work. With higher pay you have more people there for the paycheck who really don't give a shit about the work that they do. I think it was Dan Bongino who said that but not positive.
I would have to imagine, that much like fire departments, the officers who "want to be there" at those low paying jobs are the new ones who decided it was better than being unemployed, and that department is basically a revolving door that people pass through on their way to a better paying department. If you want quality officers, increase the pay, but maintain a high standard. If the standards are high, you will still only keep the people who actually care about the career.
Old 15 December 2017, 13:26
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Dan Bongino
That would be ironic, as Bongino left NYPD to work for USSS for that fedleo money. Seeing as he left USSS as an LE scale GS-14-step something with 25% LEAP, I don't think he gets a say on paying LEOs less.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 15 December 2017, 14:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
I don't know what standards this guy was hired under, however I processed with Mesa PD and went through their entire background investigation and received a final offer of hire in 2001. Their background investigation was more thorough than I ever went through during multiple federal backgrounds, (multiple secret and TS), as well as state/local ones. Mesa's polygraph alone was full lifestyle in scope and took almost an entire day. They flew an investigator to my prior residences to do in-person interviews and verification, all the way back to my high school and college disciplinary records and teacher interviews.

If you really want to talk about negligent retention, I can tell you stories about the character and conduct of agents from the DEA, FBI, and Army CID I've worked with/dealt with over the years.
I'm not defending anyone or throwing stones at anyone. But, I continue to believe that bad cops are the result of bad background investigations 95 per cent of the time.

And, having been the subject of many TS/SCI SSBI's, I agree that they are far from the best that could be done.

But, in any background investigation, the developed reference is more valuable than any other vetting technique, IMHO. Every BI I conducted or reviewed where someone was disqualified from hiring was due to the discovery of someone who knew them well, that the subject had failed to disclose, who gave out leads or info that resulted in a non-offer of hire.

I've seen so many people beat polygraphs, I don't even know why the are still used. And, they are the least effective with the people you most don't want on the job.
Old 15 December 2017, 15:40
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I'm not defending anyone or throwing stones at anyone. But, I continue to believe that bad cops are the result of bad background investigations 95 per cent of the time.

And, having been the subject of many TS/SCI SSBI's, I agree that they are far from the best that could be done.

But, in any background investigation, the developed reference is more valuable than any other vetting technique, IMHO. Every BI I conducted or reviewed where someone was disqualified from hiring was due to the discovery of someone who knew them well, that the subject had failed to disclose, who gave out leads or info that resulted in a non-offer of hire.

I've seen so many people beat polygraphs, I don't even know why the are still used. And, they are the least effective with the people you most don't want on the job.
Yeah, I don't disagree with you on the background issue overall. I get angry when I think of the amount of money my agency spends on CVSA software and certifications annually. CVSA makes the polygraph look like science.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench

Our new posting rules