SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25 January 2018, 07:33
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,043
Very Slow Section

Is everyone 10% BF with an 8 pack, lifting at least 1x, 1.5x, and 2x on Bench, Squat, and Deadlift? My self taught Master's degree in this stuff needs something to do. If you're old and fat and on your way to an early grave, ask some questions
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25 January 2018, 07:39
Steve40th Steve40th is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 1,207
Okay, I need to lose weight, build muscles. But, I have knees that arent good for running anymore, and pools are seasonal for the most part.
What say you to where I can lose 25 lbs of gut, and start building core strength.
I am 5'10" 205
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25 January 2018, 08:25
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Okay, I need to lose weight, build muscles. But, I have knees that arent good for running anymore, and pools are seasonal for the most part.
What say you to where I can lose 25 lbs of gut, and start building core strength.
I am 5'10" 205
Start here as a baseline (I just used the first Google result for 'TDEE Calculator' - there are tons, and apps too - use what you like)

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.ph...70&act=1.2&f=1

I assumed mid-30's, change accordingly. Also adjust activity level if needed, from Sedentary.

Get a food tracking app and learn to use it and track everything. "Intuitive Eating" is F'ng BS - most of the American population "intuitively eats" - they're called the "Obesity Epidemic".

This is a very rough starting point only - you're scale, and especially a cloth tape measure barely denting the skin around your gut, will be how you dial it in.

You are 93kg. I personally would adjust my macros as 2g/kg Protein, 0.5-1g/kg Fat, and the rest Carbs, up to your kcal limit. To lose fat, you need to eat 500-1000kcals UNDER your TDEE. Go as low as you can stand without cheating on it. Even a couple hundred under will still drop fat - it will just take longer.

Shoot for 1-2lbs loss on the scale per week and smaller circles around your gut with the tape. Always weigh and measure on the same day/time and same condition (before food and after the bathroom is good).

Running... LOL, you want to look like a Kenyan? Cardio is for your heart (muy importante), but it doesn't really "burn" a lot of fat while you are doing it. The increased metabolic rate from it (and lifting heavy ass weights!!!) is what contributes to the negative energy balance (combined with your caloric deficit) for the other 22hrs of the day. Walk briskly for 45min EVERY DAY - that'll do it. Or hop on a non-impact machine. Hit a heavy bag as fast as you can for 15 seconds and rest 45 - repeat (called HIIT) - will smoke your bags. Get creative.

You need to lift weights, period. Find a $10/month gym chain close by. You can start off with bodyweight stuff, but eventually you'll have to hit the metal. Muscle tissue is what uses the fat for energy - the more you have, the better.

Exercises and how you program them is another topic.

Bottom line is it takes time - you didn't put on that 25 overnight, it ain't coming off overnight either. Doing the above, it will take 12-24 (3-6months) weeks to lose that 25. And don't look "too" much at the scale - resistance training will add weight, while the fat loss is occurring - worry more about the tape measure and the mirror and how clothes fit - especially Jeans.

At my worst, I couldn't button these 44" shorts. 34's are loose currently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldShorts.jpg (21.3 KB, 492 views)

Last edited by Polypro; 25 January 2018 at 08:39.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25 January 2018, 19:16
Steve40th Steve40th is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Start here as a baseline (I just used the first Google result for 'TDEE Calculator' - there are tons, and apps too - use what you like)

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.ph...70&act=1.2&f=1

I assumed mid-30's, change accordingly. Also adjust activity level if needed, from Sedentary.

Get a food tracking app and learn to use it and track everything. "Intuitive Eating" is F'ng BS - most of the American population "intuitively eats" - they're called the "Obesity Epidemic".

This is a very rough starting point only - you're scale, and especially a cloth tape measure barely denting the skin around your gut, will be how you dial it in.

You are 93kg. I personally would adjust my macros as 2g/kg Protein, 0.5-1g/kg Fat, and the rest Carbs, up to your kcal limit. To lose fat, you need to eat 500-1000kcals UNDER your TDEE. Go as low as you can stand without cheating on it. Even a couple hundred under will still drop fat - it will just take longer.

Shoot for 1-2lbs loss on the scale per week and smaller circles around your gut with the tape. Always weigh and measure on the same day/time and same condition (before food and after the bathroom is good).

Running... LOL, you want to look like a Kenyan? Cardio is for your heart (muy importante), but it doesn't really "burn" a lot of fat while you are doing it. The increased metabolic rate from it (and lifting heavy ass weights!!!) is what contributes to the negative energy balance (combined with your caloric deficit) for the other 22hrs of the day. Walk briskly for 45min EVERY DAY - that'll do it. Or hop on a non-impact machine. Hit a heavy bag as fast as you can for 15 seconds and rest 45 - repeat (called HIIT) - will smoke your bags. Get creative.

You need to lift weights, period. Find a $10/month gym chain close by. You can start off with bodyweight stuff, but eventually you'll have to hit the metal. Muscle tissue is what uses the fat for energy - the more you have, the better.

Exercises and how you program them is another topic.

Bottom line is it takes time - you didn't put on that 25 overnight, it ain't coming off overnight either. Doing the above, it will take 12-24 (3-6months) weeks to lose that 25. And don't look "too" much at the scale - resistance training will add weight, while the fat loss is occurring - worry more about the tape measure and the mirror and how clothes fit - especially Jeans.

At my worst, I couldn't button these 44" shorts. 34's are loose currently.
Thanks a bunch. I am 50, and just got laid off, so I now have even more time..
One funny thing I notice, if I am physically working on a project, like a tune up, brakes on a car, I rarely eat, i just drink fluids. Not beer..
I will start walking right after seeing Doc in the morning for blood work and BP meds..
Canned tuna and salad help much?
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26 January 2018, 09:23
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Canned tuna and salad help much?
There are no "magic foods". As long as you are in a caloric deficit, you could literally eat that amount of Pure Cane Sugar only, and lose fat. A few guys actually have - One guy used McDonalds burgers and fries, another guy used Twinkies - they both lost fat.

Now, this is NOT recommended, because your micronutrients will be screwed, and without enough protein you'll lose muscle mass - but it demonstrates the math and thermodynamics: If you eat less than your body needs, it will pulls from fat stores.

So eat what you want as long as you are meeting the required fat (.5-1g/kg) and protein (1.6-2.2g/kg. I'd just shoot for 2, as more protein can only help, not hurt), with the remainder carbs. Obviously, nutritious whole food is better than a Pop-Tart.

You need to actually LIKE what you are eating - or you'll quit and go back to bad habits.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26 January 2018, 15:53
Steve40th Steve40th is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
There are no "magic foods". As long as you are in a caloric deficit, you could literally eat that amount of Pure Cane Sugar only, and lose fat. A few guys actually have - One guy used McDonalds burgers and fries, another guy used Twinkies - they both lost fat.

Now, this is NOT recommended, because your micronutrients will be screwed, and without enough protein you'll lose muscle mass - but it demonstrates the math and thermodynamics: If you eat less than your body needs, it will pulls from fat stores.

So eat what you want as long as you are meeting the required fat (.5-1g/kg) and protein (1.6-2.2g/kg. I'd just shoot for 2, as more protein can only help, not hurt), with the remainder carbs. Obviously, nutritious whole food is better than a Pop-Tart.

You need to actually LIKE what you are eating - or you'll quit and go back to bad habits.
Thanks, I will get going ASAP. Out to do power walk..
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31 January 2018, 08:31
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is offline
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 11,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Start here as a baseline (I just used the first Google result for 'TDEE Calculator' - there are tons, and apps too - use what you like)

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.ph...70&act=1.2&f=1

I assumed mid-30's, change accordingly. Also adjust activity level if needed, from Sedentary.

Get a food tracking app and learn to use it and track everything. "Intuitive Eating" is F'ng BS - most of the American population "intuitively eats" - they're called the "Obesity Epidemic".

This is a very rough starting point only - you're scale, and especially a cloth tape measure barely denting the skin around your gut, will be how you dial it in.

You are 93kg. I personally would adjust my macros as 2g/kg Protein, 0.5-1g/kg Fat, and the rest Carbs, up to your kcal limit. To lose fat, you need to eat 500-1000kcals UNDER your TDEE. Go as low as you can stand without cheating on it. Even a couple hundred under will still drop fat - it will just take longer.

Shoot for 1-2lbs loss on the scale per week and smaller circles around your gut with the tape. Always weigh and measure on the same day/time and same condition (before food and after the bathroom is good).

Running... LOL, you want to look like a Kenyan? Cardio is for your heart (muy importante), but it doesn't really "burn" a lot of fat while you are doing it. The increased metabolic rate from it (and lifting heavy ass weights!!!) is what contributes to the negative energy balance (combined with your caloric deficit) for the other 22hrs of the day. Walk briskly for 45min EVERY DAY - that'll do it. Or hop on a non-impact machine. Hit a heavy bag as fast as you can for 15 seconds and rest 45 - repeat (called HIIT) - will smoke your bags. Get creative.

You need to lift weights, period. Find a $10/month gym chain close by. You can start off with bodyweight stuff, but eventually you'll have to hit the metal. Muscle tissue is what uses the fat for energy - the more you have, the better.

Exercises and how you program them is another topic.

Bottom line is it takes time - you didn't put on that 25 overnight, it ain't coming off overnight either. Doing the above, it will take 12-24 (3-6months) weeks to lose that 25. And don't look "too" much at the scale - resistance training will add weight, while the fat loss is occurring - worry more about the tape measure and the mirror and how clothes fit - especially Jeans.

At my worst, I couldn't button these 44" shorts. 34's are loose currently.

100% disagree with your cardio assessment. Iíll crush weights and see minimal fat loss, but once I start running I get results, especially sprints. Iíll do 2-3 days of sprints. 1:1, then 1:30:1:30, then 3:1:30. Followed by 2-3 days of long slow runs. Iíll also road bike when weather permits.

Iíve found for nutrition the first step is finding out your RMR. Once you have that you can work the TDEE calc. Iíve eaten 3500 cals a day (consuming 250g carbs) and have seen loss fat and put on muscle. So all those people that are pooing carbs, well, whatever works for them.
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31 January 2018, 11:03
labman2 labman2 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 139
Poly, thank you very much for all the info you've posted. I spent too many hours last night going through many of the authors you listed.

The idea of going off and on maintenance/caloric deficit makes sense and I really liked how Israetel explained the long term advantage of doing so. That process makes sense intuitively- the body accommodates exercise, why wouldn't it accommodate dieting. You need to adjust your macro plan for lifting to see the most beneficial results, the same applies to diet. I just never made the correlation.

I got tired of looking for fact based nutrition, only to see my google fu result in way too much bro science bs. So, all the info is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31 January 2018, 11:27
IronCross's Avatar
IronCross IronCross is offline
Supporterator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
100% disagree with your cardio assessment. I’ll crush weights and see minimal fat loss, but once I start running I get results, especially sprints. I’ll do 2-3 days of sprints. 1:1, then 1:30:1:30, then 3:1:30. Followed by 2-3 days of long slow runs. I’ll also road bike when weather permits.

Sprints are a big deal for me as well. But when you say weights, are you talking circuit training, metcon style or free weights in the traditional sense?
__________________
Keep your mouth shut and listen. That is the best piece of advice I have been given.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31 January 2018, 11:31
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
100% disagree with your cardio assessment. I’ll crush weights and see minimal fat loss, but once I start running I get results, especially sprints. I’ll do 2-3 days of sprints. 1:1, then 1:30:1:30, then 3:1:30. Followed by 2-3 days of long slow runs. I’ll also road bike when weather permits.

I’ve found for nutrition the first step is finding out your RMR. Once you have that you can work the TDEE calc. I’ve eaten 3500 cals a day (consuming 250g carbs) and have seen loss fat and put on muscle. So all those people that are pooing carbs, well, whatever works for them.
I think you may have misunderstood me, or I conveyed what I meant, poorly. Of course *adding* sprints to weight training worked better = greater 24 hour energy deficit as long as energy intake remained the same. I said/meant to say that the act of doing cardio itself, for the 15 (HIIT) to 45 (Walk/Jog) minutes out of 24hours, doesn't really "burn that much fat" in and of itself. The EPOC (Exercise Post Oxygen Consumption) and NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) that is the result of doing cardio, over the other 23 hours of the day, is why cardio helps, in addition to directly exercising the heart muscle which is good for not dying. I do some form of cardio every day. But a brisk walk, up and down some hills for 45 minutes, is just as good, if not better, than "going running" - especially if you have heavy Squats and Deadlifts in your program. Now - if you want to be a marathoner or a tri-athlete, then you'll need to run - but your heavy lifts will suffer - pick your poison. Sprints are awesome if they don't injure you (I always pull a quad), and if you recover enough to Squat and Deadlift (if that's important) then cool.

Last edited by Polypro; 31 January 2018 at 11:37.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 3 November 2018, 07:04
KimberChick's Avatar
KimberChick KimberChick is offline
Back on The Farm
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Start here as a baseline (I just used the first Google result for 'TDEE Calculator' - there are tons, and apps too - use what you like)

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.ph...70&act=1.2&f=1

I assumed mid-30's, change accordingly. Also adjust activity level if needed, from Sedentary.

Get a food tracking app and learn to use it and track everything. "Intuitive Eating" is F'ng BS - most of the American population "intuitively eats" - they're called the "Obesity Epidemic".

This is a very rough starting point only - you're scale, and especially a cloth tape measure barely denting the skin around your gut, will be how you dial it in.

You are 93kg. I personally would adjust my macros as 2g/kg Protein, 0.5-1g/kg Fat, and the rest Carbs, up to your kcal limit. To lose fat, you need to eat 500-1000kcals UNDER your TDEE. Go as low as you can stand without cheating on it. Even a couple hundred under will still drop fat - it will just take longer.

Shoot for 1-2lbs loss on the scale per week and smaller circles around your gut with the tape. Always weigh and measure on the same day/time and same condition (before food and after the bathroom is good).

Running... LOL, you want to look like a Kenyan? Cardio is for your heart (muy importante), but it doesn't really "burn" a lot of fat while you are doing it. The increased metabolic rate from it (and lifting heavy ass weights!!!) is what contributes to the negative energy balance (combined with your caloric deficit) for the other 22hrs of the day. Walk briskly for 45min EVERY DAY - that'll do it. Or hop on a non-impact machine. Hit a heavy bag as fast as you can for 15 seconds and rest 45 - repeat (called HIIT) - will smoke your bags. Get creative.

You need to lift weights, period. Find a $10/month gym chain close by. You can start off with bodyweight stuff, but eventually you'll have to hit the metal. Muscle tissue is what uses the fat for energy - the more you have, the better.

Exercises and how you program them is another topic.

Bottom line is it takes time - you didn't put on that 25 overnight, it ain't coming off overnight either. Doing the above, it will take 12-24 (3-6months) weeks to lose that 25. And don't look "too" much at the scale - resistance training will add weight, while the fat loss is occurring - worry more about the tape measure and the mirror and how clothes fit - especially Jeans.

At my worst, I couldn't button these 44" shorts. 34's are loose currently.
Thanks for that! It is a good wake up for those of older folks who have gotten dfinitively lazy.
__________________
"I heard you've been talking shit, you tab-less bitch." - KS11

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 25 January 2018, 07:48
24/7's Avatar
24/7 24/7 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Living on the lake---finally.
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Is everyone 10% BF with an 8 pack, lifting at least 1x, 1.5x, and 2x on Bench, Squat, and Deadlift? My self taught Master's degree in this stuff needs something to do. If you're old and fat and on your way to an early grave, ask some questions
Are you cute?
__________________
We donít derive our purpose from our work, we bring our purpose TO our work.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25 January 2018, 07:57
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24/7 View Post
Are you cute?
Handsome AF!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26 January 2018, 07:33
24/7's Avatar
24/7 24/7 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Living on the lake---finally.
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Handsome AF!
Congrats on your achievements Poly - excellent!
__________________
We donít derive our purpose from our work, we bring our purpose TO our work.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25 January 2018, 08:40
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Shakin' the bush Boss
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,242
I'm 5'9" 185. I'm on a jihad to get back to plus/minus 170. I'm 6 weeks into 3mi per day on my treadmill, 100pu, 100su five times per week. I'm not counting calories, but I have eliminated bread, potatoes and rice. I allow myself 6 beers per week. I'm a long way from the nearest gym. Without access to equipment, what would you recommend I add exercise and diet wise?

I live in Appalachia, around here Mountain Dew and Meth seems to be effective, but that's my last resort.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 25 January 2018, 08:51
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I'm 5'9" 185. I'm on a jihad to get back to plus/minus 170. I'm 6 weeks into 3mi per day on my treadmill, 100pu, 100su five times per week. I'm not counting calories, but I have eliminated bread, potatoes and rice. I allow myself 6 beers per week. I'm a long way from the nearest gym. Without access to equipment, what would you recommend I add exercise and diet wise?

I live in Appalachia, around here Mountain Dew and Meth seems to be effective, but that's my last resort.
You need to track calories, and eat the right ratios as above. No way around it. It's math and thermodynamics. You currently require x amount of kcals to maintain - the only way to consume 500-1000 less, is to count.

Add pullups (mostly back) /chinups (some biceps too) to balance the pushups. Put some bricks etc.. in a backpack to add resistance. Do bodyweight squats (then add the weighted pack) for your lower body. I'd switch to hanging leg raises (find a tree or rafter), crunches (weighted eventually) and planks for your abs/core. Look up "Convict Conditioning" and hit YouTube for "Bodyweight Exercises" and ways to add resistance (gallon jugs, paint cans, cinder-blocks, sandbags, etc...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 25 January 2018, 09:04
MikeC2W's Avatar
MikeC2W MikeC2W is offline
Cry havoc
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ciudad Juarez
Posts: 12,693
I prefer fat, beer, and vodka drinking Poly.
__________________
Cco 1/75
RLTW


Two eyes from the east.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 25 January 2018, 09:06
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
I prefer fat, beer, and vodka drinking Poly.
Not me - I was dying. 160/90 BP. I'm sure my fasting glucose was probably over 110 too. Never again.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 25 January 2018, 15:53
MikeC2W's Avatar
MikeC2W MikeC2W is offline
Cry havoc
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ciudad Juarez
Posts: 12,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Not me - I was dying. 160/90 BP. I'm sure my fasting glucose was probably over 110 too. Never again.
Yo, Batman, why so serious? I was kidding. Glad to see you getting yo fitness on!
__________________
Cco 1/75
RLTW


Two eyes from the east.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 25 January 2018, 09:11
The Fat Guy's Avatar
The Fat Guy The Fat Guy is offline
Hard to Kill
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Getting off the lawn.
Posts: 14,921
I did this after seeing Poly in person and followed what he said above. Its really works well. sadly, I went on an extended OCONUS trip, got injured and well, throw in a few more excuses. The cool part is I ate what I wanted, was never hungry and really what it came down to for me was just understanding how much I really ate when I prepared a meal. Time to follow Poly's lead again. Bonne Chance fellas. I did well with my kettle bell exercises that used multiple major muscle groups.
__________________
No one will take better care of us, than us: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 14:18.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018