SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 September 2019, 22:19
Confirmed User

2019 Rugby World Cup

2019 Rugby World Cup wallchart:
https://static3.stuff.co.nz/rugbywc2...t-09895552.pdf

USA is in Division C having to go up against some of the real big boys force ranked as worst first:

England vs USA Sept 26th
France vs USA Oct 2nd
Argentina vs USA Oct 9th
Tonga vs USA Oct 13th

Thatís the bad news.....

The good news is the US beat Argentina in the past year(under ex All Blacks head coach John Mitchell).

The US team has improved considerably, if not consistently, in the last decade+ and theyíre getting close to breaking into the top 10, currently sitting at 13.

Now theyíve got an ex-Springboks Head coach.

A near inevitable loss to England(3) right at the start will suck.

But if the Eagles can shock France(8), then Argentina(11) who theyíve already beaten not long ago, and finally Tonga(15), I reckon the Eagles could exit the 2019 RWC as a legitimate threat against the worldís best.

I predict this RWC will be one of extremes for the Eagles.

Either a big victory or a big defeat, no in between.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 14 September 2019, 13:55
Confirmed User

I am really looking forward to the Rugby WC. I have been following rugby more and more lately - especially since the NFL has become a fucking soap opera.

I will, of course, be supporting the USA. But IMO the NZ All Blacks are the most respect-worthy team in professional sports, and I would be surprised if they don't win it again. It is interesting to see Ireland ranked #1 - but they did beat NZ earlier this year. Regardless of who wins - I am just looking forward to watching some great matches.
Old 14 September 2019, 15:02
Drawing my cutlass

Just finished conducting Train the Trainer with a group of flight instructors from South Africa. They were stoked about the WC.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 14 September 2019, 15:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
I am really looking forward to the Rugby WC. I have been following rugby more and more lately - especially since the NFL has become a fucking soap opera.

I will, of course, be supporting the USA. But IMO the NZ All Blacks are the most respect-worthy team in professional sports, and I would be surprised if they don't win it again. It is interesting to see Ireland ranked #1 - but they did beat NZ earlier this year. Regardless of who wins - I am just looking forward to watching some great matches.
US rugby has been slowly, surely, and considerably(but not yet consistently) improving the last decade+.

Las Vegas Sevens is going some way as well in growing US interest as itís custom built for US sports fans.

The US has an endless supply of physical talent for rugby(think Wide Receivers, Running Backs, Safeties, Linebackers, Special Teams, Tight Ends, NOT Linesmen), and in recent years has been getting world class coaching talent, and a growing fan base.

Someone just needs to figure out how to make money out of it.

Old 14 September 2019, 15:42
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
US rugby has been slowly, surely, and considerably(but not yet consistently) improving the last decade+.

Las Vegas Sevens is going some way as well in growing US interest as itís custom built for US sports fans.

The US has an endless supply of physical talent for rugby(think Wide Receivers, Running Backs, Safeties, Linebackers, Special Teams, Tight Ends, NOT Linesmen), and in recent years has been getting world class coaching talent, and a growing fan base.

I think you need an A-list celebrity to elevate rugby in the U.S. Iím thinking someone like Dwayne Johnson would fit that bill.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 15 September 2019, 05:16
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post

Just start a training camp on the Island of Samoa!
Old 15 September 2019, 06:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
I think you need an A-list celebrity to elevate rugby in the U.S. Iím thinking someone like Dwayne Johnson would fit that bill.
Thatís actually a solid idea.....and team ownership interests once the US figures out how to make money with a rugby union or 7ís franchise system.

Old 15 September 2019, 06:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
Samoaís got some rugby superheroes thatís for sure.

A bit like American Samoaís American Football talent pipeline.

Old 15 September 2019, 15:00
shiver me timbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
Haha. Lot of truth to this. My sonsí High school has had a great rugby program for a while now. Herriman High in Utah has a very competitive program. Playing rugby has helped both my boys get better at the other sports they play; pretty much all their friends are Polynesian young men. Pretty big community here in the utah.
Old 15 September 2019, 17:14
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltrane View Post
Haha. Lot of truth to this. My sonsí High school has had a great rugby program for a while now. Herriman High in Utah has a very competitive program. Playing rugby has helped both my boys get better at the other sports they play; pretty much all their friends are Polynesian young men. Pretty big community here in the utah.
I always enjoyed hanging out with the rugby players when I got out of HS. I had a shit coach in HS(prep school), I had him for three varsity sports all three years I went there. It soured me on team sports , at least till there was beer involved!
Old 15 September 2019, 17:47
I've got a gun too, mf'er

26 matches will be shown live on NBCSN, and streamed via authentication on NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...-on-nbc-sports
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 15 September 2019, 18:59
Been There Done That

Have any of you watched All or Nothing: New Zealand All Blacks on Amazon?

I absolutely loved the show. The commitment to the team, not to themselves, was refreshing. It was such a stark contrast to similar shows involving NFL teams.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 15 September 2019, 19:18
Another pool cleaner

Played rugby in college, wing/flanker.

Thought football and wrestling in HS was tough.

Got a great "g'day mate" awakening in rugby. Toughest group of guys I knew.
Old 16 September 2019, 00:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Have any of you watched All or Nothing: New Zealand All Blacks on Amazon?

I absolutely loved the show. The commitment to the team, not to themselves, was refreshing. It was such a stark contrast to similar shows involving NFL teams.
Yes, I have seen it. It is very well done and I agree with your comments regarding "team first". That's one of the things I was referring to when I said they are so worthy of respect.

You also must see "Beneath the Black" - another fantastic documentary on the history and roots of NZ rugby. I actually enjoyed this one more. This one presents an aspect of the military history of NZ, and how deeply entrenched the sport has become in the society of NZ. It also shows the youth programs and how they feed the national programs. And - of course - there is the Haka.
Old 16 September 2019, 02:04
Confirmed User

Buck Shelford, they broke the mold !

https://www.theversed.com/10170/his-...d/#.QuAWvOqFgU

No more rucking any more, sadly.

Safe,

Aye,

M.

Our new posting rules