SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 July 2020, 10:16
Drawing my cutlass

Marine dove and caught a child dropped from the balcony of a burning building

Hero. Period. Bravo Zulu, Marine. Also, another hero rescued the other child trapped inside the apartment.

Unfortunately, their mother didn't make it. RIP, angel.

Link here.

Quote:
As a teenager a decade ago at Kalamazoo Central High School in Michigan, Phillip Blanks was a star football player. Last week, his athletic instincts helped save a toddler from an apartment fire that killed the child’s mother.

Blanks, now 28 and a retired U.S. Marine, was at a friend’s apartment in Phoenix on Friday morning when he heard frantic screaming and a commotion. He immediately ran outside, barefoot, and saw the top floor of the apartment complex was ablaze and enveloped in smoke.

He looked up and saw a petrified woman on a third-floor balcony with a child. Flames quickly crept up behind her.

“People started yelling for the lady to throw her kids down,” Blanks said.

The mother dropped her son over the railing. As Blanks saw the small child falling, he dove forward, arms out.

“I immediately got tunnel vision of the baby and somehow managed to catch him,” Blanks said.

The wrenching video, captured on a cellphone, shows Blanks sprinting toward the 3-year-old child and diving to catch him mere milliseconds before the boy would have hit the ground.

Right after the child was safely in Blanks’s arms, he and neighbors wrapped the boy in a blanket and attempted to pacify him until the ambulance arrived a few minutes later.

Blanks said his time in the Marines, coupled with his athletic training as a wide receiver in high school and college, prepared him for this moment. The Marines taught him to “always be on high alert, not be complacent and to have discipline,” he said.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 9 July 2020, 10:25
Confirmed User

Damn! That "baby" was a 3 year old, and was flung, not dropped. That was an incredible grab. Very unfortunate about the mother, but I am grateful for these two heroes saving the children.
Old 9 July 2020, 18:03
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Bravo to the power of Zulu!

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 9 July 2020, 18:48

Hoo-ya, Blanks!
Old 9 July 2020, 21:48
Been There Done That

Incredible job.
Old Yesterday, 11:53
Confirmed User

That was amazing! Well done Sir!
Old Yesterday, 12:32
Confirmed User

and the other dude who walked into the burning house to rescue the 8 yo girl and lead her out to safety.

Our new posting rules