SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 15 June 2015, 20:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Thinking back to old biochem classes, the issue, to me, with consuming booze is that alcohol is metabolized for energy before anything else, including glucose, meaning that the entire time you are processing the alcohol, all your excess sugar/carbs are being stored as fat. Aside from that, there are some studies to show that if you sleep while still processing alcohol, it can inhibit the release and uptake of HGH.
Insulin release does that, so any food will do the same.
Old 15 June 2015, 23:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Only 20 calories less than Coors Light.

Yeah, and both have little flavor compared to Miller Lite. I used to drink solely Bud Light (for years) but can't really stand it anymore. I lost 60 pounds drinking Ultra--but only two per night for about 8 months. I think the difference between Lite, Ultra, Coors and Bud Light is flavor--they're so close in lack of everything they're short putts apart...

Vodka and soda if I'm really trying to dump lbs. Rum and Diet Coke is a little richer, but the caffeine will keep me up. Getting older sucks, but I still look fucking marvelous.
Old 15 June 2015, 23:38
Custom User Title

Hahaha...

When you come right down to it, alcohol is wasted calories. The less the better when you're trying to shed pounds. All the light beers are flavorless crap, some less than others.
Old 15 June 2015, 23:56
Confirmed User

Tequila is as close as you're gonna get to healthy alcohol:

Quote:
Tequila shots may do more than lighten the mood at a party; the drink may be beneficial for your health as well.

According to researchers from Mexico, natural sugars derived from the agave plant, called agavins, greatly protected a group of mice against diet-induced obesity and type 2 diabetes, MedPage Today reported.

In a new study presented at the American Chemical Society (ACS) annual meeting in Dallas, mice were distributed into seven groups. One group received a diet of plain water, while the other groups received water supplemented with either aspartame, glucose, fructose, sucrose, agave syrup or agavins.

The mice that consumed agavins showed a reduction in food intake and weight and a decrease in blood glucose levels. These findings were similar to the control group that received standard water.

Because agavins act as dietary fibers and do not raise blood sugar, the researchers believe the ingredient could be used as an alternative sweetening agent.

"We believe agavins have a great potential as a light sweetener," Mercedes G. López, of the Centro de Incetagcioan y de Estudios Avanzados, Biotechnology and Biochemistry Irapuato, in Guanajuato, Mexico wrote in the ACS abstract. "They are sugars, highly soluble, with a low glycemic index and a neutral taste…This puts agavins in a tremendous position for their consumption by obese and diabetic people."

The alcoholic beverage tequila is made from the blue agave plant, primarily around the Mexican city of Tequila. However, Lopez noted that agavins are not widely available and not as sweet as regular sugars.
Old 16 June 2015, 00:01
Custom User Title

Must be why you see so few fat people in Mexico.
Old 16 June 2015, 08:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I lost 60 pounds drinking Ultra--but only two per night for about 8 months.
That is outstanding. I need to do that. :big grin:

For me though, I need to stop drinking all beers and diet sodas for awhile, as I need to drop some weight. Just water, tea, and coffee for me these days.

Our new posting rules