SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 25 May 2019, 09:37

Covermeveterans dot org

I did a search and didn't see this out there. I like the idea and it's free of charge for vets. They create a custom skin for your handgun and you can put a picture of something you care about in it. Many of us have probably been in that dark place, I know I was there some time ago, and if this helps one person, I'm all for it.

I put an order in and then donated to pay it forward, however no donation is required. Please share to anyone you think may be interested.

Have a safe holiday weekend.

SuprTroopr
Old 25 May 2019, 09:47
Unemployed Stunt Double

I saw this online yesterday. My first thought was "huh...odd..."

Then I thought about it, and came to the conclusion it's a bad idea. Then I thought about it some more, and realized it's a horrible fucking idea. The stupidest goddamn "I'm helping the vets" horse shit I've seen in a long time.
Old 25 May 2019, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I saw this online yesterday. My first thought was "huh...odd..."

Then I thought about it, and came to the conclusion it's a bad idea. Then I thought about it some more, and realized it's a horrible fucking idea. The stupidest goddamn "I'm helping the vets" horse shit I've seen in a long time.
To each their own, but just curious why you came to that conclusion (if you don't mind sharing)?
Old 25 May 2019, 10:15
I reckon so. . .

Right. Dr. Sigmund has a history working with Veterans. She created this out of her idea to having Veterans rubber band something to their guns to remind them. . .

" Many veterans she has worked with have a hard time giving up their guns because they see it as a part of their identity.

So instead, Sigmund started asking her patients to rubberband a picture of something that is important to them - their families, pets or even "battle buddies" - to their gun to serve as an instant reminder of the good things in life."

Link->https://www.foxnews.com/us/cover-me-...icide-military
Old 25 May 2019, 10:30
Unemployed Stunt Double

Reasons this is a dumbass idea:

- If you are a veteran, and you think you might use one of your firearms to shoot yourself, you need to get help, now.

- If you are a veteran, and you are thinking about using one of your guns to shoot yourself, but, you don't want to get help now, or get rid of your guns, because you want them for self-defense, etc...so you get one of these gimmicks to put on your gun...and then you use your gun in self-defense...you just shot someone with a gun that has "I AM UNSTABLE AND SUICIDAL" written on it in BRIGHT NEON COLORS.

Reason why this is the dumbest fucking thing I have seen lately:

- Most veterans kill themselves because they come to believe that they are going to lose something or someone important to them. Something or someone they care about deeply, something or someone that they believe, in a dark moment, that they cannot live without. This is a recognized fact in the veteran's mental health community of interest.

Let that sink in for a bit...

My wife had a better suggestion...maybe they should make wraps to put on all the pill bottles the VA is slinging at the issue.
Old 25 May 2019, 12:33
Been There Done That

Gavin - for the win...
Old 25 May 2019, 12:47
I reckon so. . .

gavin, likely everything you suggested may be/is true.

And yet, here is a PhD psych Doc who is *finally* suggesting just because the Vet thinks/has dark thoughts is not a reason to take away his gun. I like that idea.

Further, what does the proper intervention look like? I have no idea. And I also think a ton of professionals have no idea either. So suggesting they seek help while true is also a shot in the dark as to whether such help is helpful.

In other words, say a Vet needs to talk about his/her dark thoughts including the word Suicide. My thoughts are they should be encouraged to talk. Yet, from my understanding, they could be placed on a Psych hold just for uttering such a word.

The Good Doc's motives are sound even though the execution may be off. I wouldn't know, since I do not suffer with PTSD, nor have I.

I would suggest the *gedunk* such as this wrap thing may appeal to those in the at risk age group, 18-34 yrs.

I have no hard and fast answers. I am glad Some professionals are putting in the effort.
Old 25 May 2019, 13:24
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
gavin, likely everything you suggested may be/is true.

And yet, here is a PhD psych Doc who is *finally* suggesting just because the Vet thinks/has dark thoughts is not a reason to take away his gun. I like that idea.

Further, what does the proper intervention look like? I have no idea. And I also think a ton of professionals have no idea either. So suggesting they seek help while true is also a shot in the dark as to whether such help is helpful.

In other words, say a Vet needs to talk about his/her dark thoughts including the word Suicide. My thoughts are they should be encouraged to talk. Yet, from my understanding, they could be placed on a Psych hold just for uttering such a word.

The Good Doc's motives are sound even though the execution may be off. I wouldn't know, since I do not suffer with PTSD, nor have I.

I would suggest the *gedunk* such as this wrap thing may appeal to those in the at risk age group, 18-34 yrs.

I have no hard and fast answers. I am glad Some professionals are putting in the effort.
I vehemently disagree. Good intentions and motives mean exactly jack shit. Any supposed mental health provider that believes this is a good idea is not a "professional." I do have hard and fast answers. It's a dumb fucking idea, for all of the very real reasons I laid out. Never confuse effort with results.
Old 25 May 2019, 15:25
Administrator

I think this is a poor idea too, and would not suggest anyone I know use it.
Old 25 May 2019, 16:57
Red Headed Stepchild

Man. Great intentions, really bad execution. Have to agree with gavin (and Mrs. gavin) on this one.

Our new posting rules