SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 1 July 2019, 05:04
Been There Done That

McDonalds

Found this link very useful. For counting calories and for reducing carbs/going Keto while going to McDonalds.

As I am both trying to reduce my overall calorie intake and reduce carbs. Especially since having to take a break from lifting weights due to some minor injuries.

https://nobunplease.com/keto-on-the-...-at-mcdonalds/
Old 1 July 2019, 10:35
BTDT

If there's a McDonald's, there's probably a Walmart close by - just go buy a whole Rotisserie Chicken for $4
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 1 July 2019, 12:12
Been There Done That

with McDonald’s I’m more concerned about the chemicals put in that stuff than anything else. Agreed on the chicken.
Old 1 July 2019, 12:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Found this link very useful. For counting calories and for reducing carbs/going Keto while going to McDonalds.

As I am both trying to reduce my overall calorie intake and reduce carbs. Especially since having to take a break from lifting weights due to some minor injuries.

https://nobunplease.com/keto-on-the-...-at-mcdonalds/

You can make ANY kind of food work. It's calories in, calories out, and if you're on Keto you have somewhat more room to maneuver there as well.

The only thing I would caution against is deriving the majority of your diet from processed foods. Just eat whole foods. Get fatty cuts of meat, add cheese, drink lots of water, some bone broth, and you should be hitting the keto goals pretty easily.

If you're trying to focus on more of a zero-carb or carnivore diet, you have some other things to contend with.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 1 July 2019, 12:42
Violence of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
If there's a McDonald's, there's probably a Walmart close by - just go buy a whole Rotisserie Chicken for $4
Had one yesterday from Sam's. IMO, they have one of the best Rotisserie Chickens around. And, you can't beat the price....
Old 1 July 2019, 12:46
Been There Done That

While roasted chicken is great, sometimes while traveling (such as airports,overseas, road trips, etc) access to a McDonalds is what is most easiest or all you have. Kentland, Indiana - McDonalds. But nearest grocery store or Walmart a 30 minute drive away. : ). So, if grab a mcdonalds can still go Keto and one knows exactly were they are on calorie count.

Sodium intake is a concern though with McDonalds so should not be all one eats,, just more occasionally.
Old 2 July 2019, 08:39
BTDT

Just an FYI, and you will have to test yourself, and I must state that it is not *magic* like some idiots claim, it just works out well if you are absolutely not hungry in the AM, like me:

Intermittent Fasting with 16/8 (or longer) will still have you in Ketosis, even eating up to (for me) ~200g of Carbs (like fruit, vegetables, whole grains, what's in Greek Yogurt, etc...)

I test out at about 0.4 m/mols of Bhb (Beta-hydroxybutyrate) right before the first meal - you need to test blood, those "sticks" are worthless.

So you get some benefits (mainly increasing insulin sensitivity) of "Keto", without all the downsides - of which there are many.

Precision Xtra or NovaMax Plus are pretty affordable meters.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

Old 2 July 2019, 08:47
A/1/75

Food Lion has great Rotisserie Chicken, cooked fresh daily.

Charlie
Old 2 July 2019, 08:49
Shakin' the bush Boss

In my little day pack I carry a 2oz box of dried apricots and a can of chicken with a pull top. That way if I get stuck somewhere I'm not tempted by the #1 super size calorie bomb if I'm on the road. That and 6 light beers makes a perfect lunch.
Old 2 July 2019, 12:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
In my little day pack I carry a 2oz box of dried apricots and a can of chicken with a pull top. That way if I get stuck somewhere I'm not tempted by the #1 super size calorie bomb if I'm on the road. That and 6 light beers makes a perfect lunch.
Yup...I make my own oatmeal/honey granola and add dried fruits and nuts to it. Somehow, Mickey D's mentioned in the same sentence as fitness just seems wrong.

But, I understand the necessity in time and travel when it comes to chow...
Old 2 July 2019, 13:44
Been There Done That

No one want to admit they like eating at McDonalds, but we all do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDTfEhChgw
Old 2 July 2019, 13:46
Administrator

I never eat there. Too many better options.
Old 2 July 2019, 13:48
Violence of Action

My favorite thing at McDonald's is their ice cream...other than that, I rarely go there anymore. Not to mention, the atmosphere of most of the ones in my area aren't very pleasant to visit.
Old 2 July 2019, 14:20
Been There Done That

If I eat at MickeyD’s 3-times a year, that is pushing it. They a consistent, if anything. Many mo-better options.
Old 2 July 2019, 16:53
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
those "sticks" are worthless.
Knew this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
Precision Xtra or NovaMax Plus are pretty affordable meters.
Had never heard of these. Very cool.
Old 2 July 2019, 22:35
Confirmed User

I mostly stay away from Mcdonalds unless there are no other choices available. I eat fast food less than 10 times a year but when I do Chikfila is the one. Those waffle fries and chikfila sauce are where it's at.

This doesn't apply to being on the road or out of town but I notice there are often organic farms within a reasonable vicinity of many places and it is possible to get some good meat eggs and produce from the source. A few near me have weekly deals where they either deliver to one's address every week or you can pick up at a Farmer's market.
Old 3 July 2019, 06:46
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
No one want to admit they like eating at McDonalds, but we all do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDTfEhChgw
As a kid, I ate McDonalds about 3 times a week..I admit it...I love the taste of their regular, crappy Hamburger and fries...they are the best!
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 3 July 2019, 07:23
Authorized Personnel

Sort of a derail, I was stationed in Okinawa when they opened the first McDonald's there (1976). Traffic had to be cop controlled, they had over 100 employees, and the seats are/were 3/4 scale, as the people are too. They bought the bread local and it sucked. The opening set records for first day attendance.

Continuing the derail, there was an A&W long before Micky D's on the rock and my kids loved it.

Agree with Purple36 on the fries, until they changed the type of oil used the cook them.

My taste has changed and I haven't had a 'Royale with cheese' for a long time.

I'd like to see fat/calorie labels on (most) everything I ingest.
Old 3 July 2019, 11:20
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Knew this.

Had never heard of these. Very cool.
Yeah, instead of just "talking" based on academic data, I decided to go full bore keto on a "cut" (cuz it's great for fat loss and performance, right? LOL) and actually measure blood ketones (Bhb). I have the NovaMax as it was the only one at the time.

I would suggest not measuring first thing in the morning, as there is a physiological phenomenon known as "Dawn Effect" (Type I Diabetics know it well) where the Liver will produce Glucagon very early in the morning, and it will throw off your readings. Try to do I.F. and measure right before your first meal around Noon. That should ensure the Glucagon is done, and you'll get a better reading on both Fasting Glucose, and Bhb Ketones.

Any reading above "Low" is Ketosis, it starts at 0.3m/mol. I.F. gets me to 0.4 m/mol, and the best I did on "Keto" was around 1 m/mol. My advice would be not to try to "get as high as possible - ketosis is ketosis and there are quite a few downsides if you don't have Epilepsy/Concussion/TBI etc...

My n=1 anecdote matches up with all the un-bias research done on "Keto" as far as healthy people and fat loss/performance goes - not a fan. But if it "works for you" drive on.

Old 5 July 2019, 07:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I never eat there. Too many better options.
Yeah...I never eat that slop.

Our new posting rules