SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 11 June 2011, 19:30
Drawing my cutlass

Mountain lion killed by car on Connecticut highway

I suspect that this was someone's pet that got loose, but if these magnificent animals are beginning to populate the New England area all they would have to do is run through deer infested areas with their mouths open to get a meal.

(CNN) -- A mountain lion was killed in a car accident in Milford, Connecticut, on Saturday and authorities say the cat may have been the same one spotted this week in nearby Greenwich.

The Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection says it responded to a State Police call about 1 a.m. Saturday morning reporting a collision between a 2006 Hyundai Tucson SUV and a mountain lion in the area of Exit 55 of Route 15 in Milford. The mountain lion died of injuries in the crash, but the SUV driver was uninjured.

Connecticut DEP says it's possible and even likely that the mountain lion killed early Saturday morning is the same cat that's been roaming around Greenwich this month. The animal was last seen Sunday on the campus of a college prep school.

The 140-pound male cat is at a DEP facility where his body, along with paw prints and other specimens are being analyzed and tested to determine if it is the same cat seen in Greenwich.

Mountain lions are not native to Connecticut, but they do travel extensively and can roam a few hundred miles a day, DEP says. Milford is about 40 miles north of Greenwich, which DEP says would have easily been within the cat's roaming range.
Old 11 June 2011, 19:42
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
I suspect that this was someone's pet that got loose, but if these magnificent animals are beginning to populate the New England area all they would have to do is run through deer infested areas with their mouths open to get a meal.

(CNN) -- A mountain lion was killed in a car accident in Milford, Connecticut, on Saturday and authorities say the cat may have been the same one spotted this week in nearby Greenwich.

The Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection says it responded to a State Police call about 1 a.m. Saturday morning reporting a collision between a 2006 Hyundai Tucson SUV and a mountain lion in the area of Exit 55 of Route 15 in Milford. The mountain lion died of injuries in the crash, but the SUV driver was uninjured.

Connecticut DEP says it's possible and even likely that the mountain lion killed early Saturday morning is the same cat that's been roaming around Greenwich this month. The animal was last seen Sunday on the campus of a college prep school.

The 140-pound male cat is at a DEP facility where his body, along with paw prints and other specimens are being analyzed and tested to determine if it is the same cat seen in Greenwich.

Mountain lions are not native to Connecticut, but they do travel extensively and can roam a few hundred miles a day, DEP says. Milford is about 40 miles north of Greenwich, which DEP says would have easily been within the cat's roaming range.
Holy fuck, 140 lb cat... I used to liven Milford, that's fucking insane. I'd be very interested in knowing where the hell he came from. You're right though, God knows there's plenty of food here to support them quite nicely. The deer are like rats around here.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 11 June 2011, 20:10
Confirmed User

I live in a town called Los Gatos.... Plenty-o big kitties, it's pretty unnerving to be mountain biking, peddling uphill, heart rate 185-190 and see one ahead of you on the trail... Yes they do get big, 140 is a big cat but a big male can get in the 180-200 range. Since I have had several encounters with them I have had google news alerts on mountain lion sent to me for the last 6-7 years. The interesting thing is the increasing rate of encounters over the last few years.

Merlinn
Old 11 June 2011, 20:14
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinn View Post
I live in a town called Los Gatos.... Plenty-o big kitties, it's pretty unnerving to be mountain biking, peddling uphill, heart rate 185-190 and see one ahead of you on the trail... Yes they do get big, 140 is a big cat but a big male can get in the 180-200 range. Since I have had several encounters with them I have had google news alerts on mountain lion sent to me for the last 6-7 years. The interesting thing is the increasing rate of encounters over the last few years.

Merlinn

Just another reason to allow open carry, so I can wear a thigh rig while mountain biking!

Two eyes from the east.
Old 11 June 2011, 22:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
Just another reason to allow open carry, so I can wear a thigh rig while mountain biking!
You'd be extremely hard pressed to get a round off. They prefer to attack from above and are near the apex in the wild. Can't hear it, can't see it until it hits you. Very much like a frigging IED.

As for the Cats being found in the NE that's actually pretty awesome since they were supposedly all but extinct in that part of the US. The ecosystem there could certainly use them!

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 11 June 2011, 22:48
Firearm Industry Vagabond

This isn't that new...I remember hearing them at night out in the campgrounds by the lakes in NH. Maybe new to CT, since they have a little more built up area to travel through first. But mountain lions, wildcats, and bears, took many a small dog that I remember.

Personally, I would really rather know more about this fucker. I got sent this article when I was already away in the Corps, but we had a hell of a time with one of these when I was a teenager. It was in southern NH, and this thing would follow us for miles. My buddy and I worked at a gas station, and walked home, and we could hear this thing breathe and smell it's stank ass for a good ways out. The last night, it actually chased us back to house, and walked around scratching at the windows and doors until we shot at it. Took a 12 gauge buck load likes champ and ran off. We called the cops and everything, and somewhere I still have pictures of the damage it did to the house. I remember it smelled a lot like a dead turtle in the sun, and it sure as hell wanted to kill us. I left a few days later, but my dad sent me the email when all the the neighbors cats disappeared, and some dogs were getting killed. Not eaten, just torn up.

Link: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/...407992741.html

Sorry for the hijack, but if this thing (whatever it was) lived there without being noticed, mountain lions don't exactly take my breath away...

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 29 January 2012, 22:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
This isn't that new...I remember hearing them at night out in the campgrounds by the lakes in NH. Maybe new to CT, since they have a little more built up area to travel through first. But mountain lions, wildcats, and bears, took many a small dog that I remember.

Personally, I would really rather know more about this fucker. I got sent this article when I was already away in the Corps, but we had a hell of a time with one of these when I was a teenager. It was in southern NH, and this thing would follow us for miles. My buddy and I worked at a gas station, and walked home, and we could hear this thing breathe and smell it's stank ass for a good ways out. The last night, it actually chased us back to house, and walked around scratching at the windows and doors until we shot at it. Took a 12 gauge buck load likes champ and ran off. We called the cops and everything, and somewhere I still have pictures of the damage it did to the house. I remember it smelled a lot like a dead turtle in the sun, and it sure as hell wanted to kill us. I left a few days later, but my dad sent me the email when all the the neighbors cats disappeared, and some dogs were getting killed. Not eaten, just torn up.
Link: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/...407992741.html
I decided to go back to the beginning of this thread and re-read when I came across SOW 0331 post......seriously, WTF is that???
Old 12 June 2011, 00:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
You'd be extremely hard pressed to get a round off. They prefer to attack from above and are near the apex in the wild. Can't hear it, can't see it until it hits you. Very much like a frigging IED.

As for the Cats being found in the NE that's actually pretty awesome since they were supposedly all but extinct in that part of the US. The ecosystem there could certainly use them!
Exactly. Great post. From all accounts, you wont even know they're stalking you. These cats are unfairly demonized in my opinion. They're an apex predator that keeps deer and elk populations somewhat manageable out here in the West.
Old 12 June 2011, 17:21
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior D View Post
Exactly. Great post. From all accounts, you wont even know they're stalking you. These cats are unfairly demonized in my opinion. They're an apex predator that keeps deer and elk populations somewhat manageable out here in the West.

We could use a couple to manage the gangs of thugs roaming the transit system and various neighborhoods.

Of course, the last time one showed up a few years ago, it didn't last too long. Shot by the police, because in the end you can't really tolerate a Cougar roaming the streets of a large city.

Although the two legged variety seem to thrive up around Rush St.

Last edited by Spinner; 12 June 2011 at 17:23.
Old 12 June 2011, 07:48
Cry havoc

Quote:

Lol for sure, but it would make me feel way safer

With the number of deer around they could survive quite easily, although there are a shit load of humans all along the coast.....

Two eyes from the east.
Old 12 June 2011, 08:16
The Sagacious One

Quote:

ML,

Above and behind. If you have ever watched a cat kill a mouse, that's what it is like. You might get a round off as he was crushing your skull or pinching off your airway. We had one killed in MO a few years ago that was 210 lbs or so.

It definitely replaces us on the food chain.
Old 12 June 2011, 15:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
ML,

It definitely replaces us on the food chain.
Not without opposable thumbs it doesn’t. There were also much bigger cats than that around eons ago when man was busy climbing up the ladder of civilization, we’re here and they aren’t.
Old 12 June 2011, 00:19
Confirmed User

My Bro-in-Law was mt.biking in ol' Fort Ord (monterey)
and saw one hide behind a tree as he was approaching...
Old 12 June 2011, 00:54
ORP

We've had them up in North East ME/NH/VT for years, but they're extremely rare. Never heard of one that far South. What the hell would push one all the way to Milford?

That's one disoriented kitty. Shame it got smacked and killed. Too bad they didn't get the chance to tranq it and dump it off in the woods further north. With all the young deer and new little turkeys running around up there, you'd probably have never seen it near humans again.
Old 12 June 2011, 01:59
Carl Spackler
Visitor

Seen spore all over Camp Pendalton hunting.
Old 13 June 2011, 18:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
Seen spore all over Camp Pendalton hunting.
Spoor. (Afrikaans: tracks)

Unfortunate for the cat. I happen to be quite fond of cats of all species and sizes, and one of the great things about the cougar and the lynx is that they both prey of the coyote population. Trying to keep a felid of that size as a pet however is not fair to the cat.
Old 12 June 2011, 07:43
Morte et une dame

Interesting subject in my neck of the woods.
In Vermont there are lots of anecdotal sightings, but no tangible evidence of Mountain Lions.
To the best of my knowledge the Vermont Fish & Game Department still claims there just aren't any Mountain Lions left.
There is PLENTY of argument on this matter. Still, no evidence.
No scat, no carcasses, no photos.
On the other hand, plenty of;
"I rounded the corner, and there was a Mountian lion standing behind that tree".
Interesting subject around here.

I just researched, further.
Fish & wildlife says no;
Believed to be extirpated in the East (except in southern Florida). Listed as endangered in Vermont. Anecdotal
reports of field sightings are fairly frequent; however definitive, tangible evidence of the animal's presence in
Vermont and the northeast is notably lacking.

Last edited by tooslow; 12 June 2011 at 07:57. Reason: to add further information.
Old 12 June 2011, 08:50
Confirmed User

That cat was sighted in Greenwich earlier in the day and actually caused a cancer walk to be rescheduled (like a cat is going to attack a thousand people). That's over thirty miles away from where it got hit later that same day. If it's the same mountain lion (can't be two of them running around here right?) then it was moving at a pretty good clip to cover that distance.

A couple of years ago in an ironic twist of fate, a New Hampshire woman was killed when she hit a moose in southern conn. so I wouldn't be surprised if this was real.

Usually these wild sightings are accompanied by 'have you seen Muffy' lost dog posters nailed to telephone poles.....when I see those I can't help thinking 'Muffy ain't coming back lady'....
Old 12 June 2011, 20:41
Authorized Personnel

Michigan has been having the kind of argument over big cats for years. There has been one that roams through s central Michigan pretty regular. Haven't much locally though sine the one year they got real loose with doe permits. I'm seei a lot more fox around here and coyotes are getting more numerous too. Michigan has also made it legal to take wild hogs if you a deer license.
Old 13 June 2011, 00:04
Authorized Personnel

The state wildlife agencies are reluctant to admit the presence of Puma concolor because they don't want our bought-and-paid-for federal government stepping in with their volumes of bullshit.
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules