SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 February 2019, 15:46
Confirmed User

Close Combat Lethality Task Force

Close Combat Lethality Task Force was formed by former SECDEF Mattis. https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/D...DTM-18-001.pdf

seemed from reading the threads at https://news.google.com/search?q=%22...S&ceid=US%3Aen

that the task form will recommend all 10 Army divisions to be more like the 75th Ranger Regiment.
Old 16 February 2019, 18:44
Authorized Personnel

If the SecDef needs to publish a Directive Type Memorandum that will be turned into a DoD Directive to remind the DoD to focus on building the best infantry units possible the next major regional contingency is already lost.

-Stan

All my life I wanted to go up in society. Where everything higher was legal, straight. But the higher I go, the more crooked it becomes. Where the hell does it end? -- Michael Corleone

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -- Mark 8:36 KJV

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were going all the way. -- Captain Willard
Old 17 February 2019, 03:16
Been There Done That

Step 1: have the Divisions dress snappier so they’ll feel special too. Maybe they’ll start acting special.

2. Issue them a mandatory dog tag they’ll never read about things they don’t care about, after the wallet cards go in the garbage.

3. Write little pocket sized books that they’re supposed to carry but no one reads or references unless a leader wants to hem up a subordinate over a violation of that book’s rules some arbitrary day, without going to the trouble of writing a counseling statement, because that’s too much work. Put a blue cover on it.

4. I didn’t read the article... but maybe, just maybe someone demand and hold accountable leaders within those divisions to actually enforce the standards on the books already, and quit worrying about maybe being the bad guy.

5. Maybe get those division a training budget that results in decent training.

I’m glad I’m retired.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 17 February 2019, 15:30
Confirmed User

All they need is a new beret color! LOL

I welcome any and all attempts to actually make the Army more leathal. I'm not going to entertain the thought of 10 divsions becoming like the 75th, but some of the MOUT and weapons training is clearly in the infantry battalions realm.
Old 17 February 2019, 18:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
All they need is a new beret color! LOL

I welcome any and all attempts to actually make the Army more leathal. I'm not going to entertain the thought of 10 divsions becoming like the 75th, but some of the MOUT and weapons training is clearly in the infantry battalions realm.
Perhaps leaders should put more emphasis on training than painting rocks, holding useless formations, or other activities not essential to fighting.
Old 17 February 2019, 20:54
Confirmed User

14 pages of verbiage and acronyms with very little real substance all to say something that really is an implied task, try to always be doing better. Really, you need a Flag Officer or SES equivalent to make this happen?

x/S
Old 17 February 2019, 21:37
Make a desert and call it peace.

Why do we need more light infantry? Light infantry is for broke-assed countries with excess manpower, like India or anywhere in Africa.

We should be going the opposite direction with the US Army, heavy up, more tanks and artillery, and an effective infrastructure to deliver same to a battlefield. And fewer staff and pogues, because they're just dead weight, in any type of military.

But since pogues are in charge, that's not what will happen. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 17 February 2019, 21:48
0311/8651

Well he stayed away from my Marine Corps
We lost over 500 CAP Marines in Nam
Old 18 February 2019, 02:31
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_White View Post
If the SecDef needs to publish a Directive Type Memorandum that will be turned into a DoD Directive to remind the DoD to focus on building the best infantry units possible the next major regional contingency is already lost.

-Stan
Not to worry, that shit will all take care of itself as long as everyone is signed off on their SAPR and Govt Travel Card training.
Old 18 February 2019, 08:20
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Why do we need more light infantry? Light infantry is for broke-assed countries with excess manpower, like India or anywhere in Africa.

We should be going the opposite direction with the US Army, heavy up, more tanks and artillery, and an effective infrastructure to deliver same to a battlefield. And fewer staff and pogues, because they're just dead weight, in any type of military.

But since pogues are in charge, that's not what will happen. S/F....Ken M
The "Megacity Siege Task Force" is a different DoD Directive.

-Stan

All my life I wanted to go up in society. Where everything higher was legal, straight. But the higher I go, the more crooked it becomes. Where the hell does it end? -- Michael Corleone

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -- Mark 8:36 KJV

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were going all the way. -- Captain Willard
Old 18 February 2019, 10:40
The Sagacious One

The initial 2 Ranger Battalions were reactivated in the late 70's Post Viet Nam with a very similar mission..... To build the best Infantry NCO and Officer Corps available and then disseminate them back into the regular Army. (Kinda like herd immunity, only in reverse, Oh the cross thread points). How much of that still occurs now, I have no idea. When you factor ETS, guys that go to selection for an SMU or SF or other personnel draws, how many go back to the regular Army now? With 40 years of amassing GO headquarters units and the SOF tiering process, I wonder if it is even a remote consideration anymore.
Old 18 February 2019, 10:45
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
Step 1: have the Divisions dress snappier so they’ll feel special too. Maybe they’ll start acting special.

2. Issue them a mandatory dog tag they’ll never read about things they don’t care about, after the wallet cards go in the garbage.

3. Write little pocket sized books that they’re supposed to carry but no one reads or references unless a leader wants to hem up a subordinate over a violation of that book’s rules some arbitrary day, without going to the trouble of writing a counseling statement, because that’s too much work. Put a blue cover on it.

4. I didn’t read the article... but maybe, just maybe someone demand and hold accountable leaders within those divisions to actually enforce the standards on the books already, and quit worrying about maybe being the bad guy.

5. Maybe get those division a training budget that results in decent training.

I’m glad I’m retired.
You have 8 years of leaders developed under the Obama fiefdom that are risk averse and still think they are royalty. You give them money they will build lactation rooms for transgender males that have emasculated themselves and had artificial breast feeding devices implanted so they can feel good about themselves up until they suck start their M17, which will likely fail.
Old 18 February 2019, 10:45
Drawing my cutlass

Interestingly, Life is a Special Operation posted this over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFXPLpzfWuo

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 18 February 2019, 11:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
Well he stayed away from my Marine Corps
Well, not really: Scales included Marine infantry in his report. I didn't read it to mean make infantry like SOF to be SOF; rather, I read it that infantry should be recruited, selected, trained, and retained, like the services do with SOF. To be fair, he also used the Navy nuclear sub program as an analogy.
Old 18 February 2019, 13:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
The initial 2 Ranger Battalions were reactivated in the late 70's Post Viet Nam with a very similar mission..... To build the best Infantry NCO and Officer Corps available and then disseminate them back into the regular Army. (Kinda like herd immunity, only in reverse, Oh the cross thread points). How much of that still occurs now, I have no idea. When you factor ETS, guys that go to selection for an SMU or SF or other personnel draws, how many go back to the regular Army now? With 40 years of amassing GO headquarters units and the SOF tiering process, I wonder if it is even a remote consideration anymore.
Who wants to go to regular army after 75th?! No one. The concept failed in that aspect.
Old 18 February 2019, 23:57
Oppressor of the people

From what I understand, they're supposed to be looking at things like more lethal ammunition, light body armor, batteries, night vision, improved fitness, etc. I know the Army is looking at making extending BCT to 22 weeks for all combat arms, and bringing back some of the things they dropped like night land nav.

Our new posting rules