SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 21 September 2018, 23:16
Confirmed User

Truck / Car Carry

I recently got a truck and I'm slowly adding different items that I think might come in handy at some point. I already have a BOB with the normal items in it in the truck. What do you guys carry in your vehicles?

For reference, I live in Kentucky and don't expect to every be stuck in Alaska in my truck. That said, I do like having enough survival gear so that I won't have to worry if I spend a night in the Red River Gorge without planning ahead.
Old 22 September 2018, 00:12
Authorized Personnel

Self recovery shit - jumper cables, tow strap, set of basic tools, etc. Haven't gone to the point of keeping fluids, hoses, or belts in there. Have thought about it. A shovel... Damn I learned that the hard way once upon a time.

Also have a cell phone charger with a lithium battery - the battery is external so it isn't installed (I've had battery chargers that seem to lose charge over time).

Surplus gortex pants and jacket (german army ones - got them for like $29! once upon a time.)

I have a locking toolbox in the bed of the truck so I keep some things in there that I wouldn't keep in the cab of the truck normally. I threw a case of water and a box of mountain house meals in there w/ a sleeping bag along side my normal BOB.

I put a rifle with a folding stock and 2 mags in a mylar bag with some desiccant and gorilla taped it shut. Haven't opened it since I put it in there. Need to take it out and inspect it.

I also put a change of clothes in a gallon ziplock and put that in a stuff sack with an old pair of boots - my thinking behind that is if I'm stuck somewhere and I'm wearing slacks and loafers... I'm not walking home in that shit.
Old 22 September 2018, 00:17
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post
What do you guys carry in your vehicles?
Normal (daily) vehicle kit:

- 20L of water.
- 4WD recovery equipment, including tow chains, snatch straps, and a long-handled shovel.
- iPhone charging cable
- First Aid Kit
- Jumper cables

Longer/difficult trips will dictate any additional specific kit.

Having said that, I bought my vehicle, a 20-year-old Landcruiser, having driven different 4WD vehicles in some of the most difficult and butt-clenching locations on the planet, (ever had to enter a flooded crocodile-infested river upstream so that your vehicle floated downstream to the exit point - daily?).

That make/model of vehicle had gotten me out of and through some dangerous situations.

For me, vehicle selection is more/just as important as what you carry in it.
Old 22 September 2018, 09:27
Authorized Personnel

I'm amazed at the number of people that don't carry the basics in their cars. I'm also amazed at the number of people that don't know how to use the basic auto tools; i.e. change a tire, jump start a battery, etc.

Of course jumper cables, flashlight, tools, first aid kit, and fire extinguisher need to be carried, but more everyday items can be useful too. My wife most always carries an umbrella, fleece jacket, and towel in her car as you never know when it'll rain or it'll be cold inside church.
Old 22 September 2018, 10:23
Bitter old man.

^^^^ I know, tend to rotate with the seasons.
I do keep my trusty Spetsnez shovel at all times.
Old 22 September 2018, 14:32
Authorized Personnel

This thread had me thinking - fall is rolling in and in the PacNw we usually get one or two heavy rain / wind storms before the leaves drop. I’m adding a medium sized axe and a bow saw to the tool box. Something I can get through a medium sized tree to get a strap around and clear a road if I have to. Don’t think I’ll start storing a chainsaw in the truck. Probably overkill.
Old 22 September 2018, 16:09
Confirmed User

In addition to everything listed so far, I've added the portable car jump starters to my vehicles. It's a little more insurance if out in the backcountry and no other people around. Especially if a kid leaves some lights on or some other battery draw while camping for a few days.

I also added some heavier shackles for easier use of the tow strap after getting stuck in some mountain snow a few years back. A full size spare tire is good too.
Old 22 September 2018, 18:56
Been There Done That

I’ve got two spares in my truck, which is overkill but I had a spare wheel and two like new tires when I bought 4 tires that I like better than what was on it.

And a scoped Marlin 336 because I don’t really want to have an AR stolen out of it maybe.

Plus all the standard stuff mentioned above, plus some fluids and a spare S-belt. A lithium starter set is nice in addition to jumper cables and not too expensive. I’ve used it.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 22 September 2018, 19:19
Confirmed User

I carry a full set of hand tools for working on the truck and any little things that can deadline it and would need to be ordered (crank position sensor), fluids stay in their original bottles and go in a medium sized plastic tote in the back. Have another one of those that holds all my recovery gear.

The only thing I don't keep in there is a gun. Mostly because my back window doesn't lock and also because I'd rather just have it on me.

Did some maintenance this past month and replaced my s belt even though it really didn't need it but I was already in there so now I have a spare should I require one.

I want to get one of those small, almost pocket sized, jumpers that are on amazon but the damn diesel requires ALL the CCAs to get started and the only one capable of doing that costs near $500.. No thanks, I'll figure it out or walk.
Old 22 September 2018, 19:20
Confirmed User

Make sure spares have air too. Many dont check the spare.
And good quality jumpers, not some 8 gauge aluminum copper clad crap.
Forneys are real nice.
Old 22 September 2018, 20:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
The only thing I don't keep in there is a gun. Mostly because my back window doesn't lock and also because I'd rather just have it on me.
I think this is a hard one. I almost always have a pistol on me - I like the idea of a long gun for any sort of SHTF scenario. But keeping it secure poses a challenge in most vehicles.

I am not a big believer in "security through obscurity" - just pile some jackets over the gun and hope for the best.

How do other folks secure a long gun?

I've looked at gunvault - but I use the bed of my truck quite a bit and don't want to lose the room in there.

I looked at something like this: http://www.truckvault.com/Products/Additional_Products/SeatVault.php

But they don't make one for my truck.
Old 22 September 2018, 20:20
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
Iíve got two spares in my truck, which is overkill.
Depends on the location. Working in Northern Australia, I convinced the boss to let me carry 4 x spares, due to the roads being that bad. We frequently had more than 1 flat in a day, and even had to use all 4 x spares on a really bad day.

Got my tyre-changing with a hi-lift jack down to 3 minutes!
Old 23 September 2018, 08:32
The Sagacious One

I keep a case of water behind the passenger seat which I drink and replace with great frequency. I have a FAK with everything from TQ's and neck brace to ouchie and booboo OTC stuff. I have a tool kit to include jumper cables, tow strap and tire repair and a small compressor. Road flares, fuses radiator leak and some of those wizbang patch and repair kits for hoses, pipes etc. I also have a 5.11 shorty bag with a set of armor in it and an AR pistol. I have a GHB with the basics, tarp for shelter fire starter, MRE's and protein bars, 2 liters of water (I have the case as well) and my most comfy pair of walking shoes and a frog togs rain suit. It also has a weather radio and solar charging kit. Oh and a G 19, holster and 2 mags. I also have an array of lights that also serve as chargers for phones etc.

I am thinking about getting a high torque battery powered impact wrench to make changes a bit quicker.
Old 1 October 2018, 14:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
...snip...
I am thinking about getting a high torque battery powered impact wrench to make changes a bit quicker...snip...
I have a Craftsman 1/2 impact wrench that uses the same 19.2 volt batteries as my screw gun and demo saw. I have used it to change a tire on my landscaping trailer- about 4 minutes including climbing into the trailer to get the tire, and jacking up the trailer.

BTW, I also carry a 5 ton floor jack instead of using the POS OEM jack that comes with my vehicles- and a piece of 2x 12 to place it on so it wont sink...
Old 1 October 2018, 15:22
Red Headed Stepchild

If married, a minimum of one metric ton of kleenex.

It's about 3 of the small pallets at costco.
Old 1 October 2018, 15:46
Administrator

I have an air compressor permanently mounted in the bed....I can fill my own tires.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 1 October 2018, 15:57
Authorized Personnel

A set of jumper cables and a Mexican blanket.
Old 1 October 2018, 16:11
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I have an air compressor permanently mounted in the bed....I can fill my own tires.
I have one in my truck also.
Don't forget some dynamite to clear obstacles.
Old 1 October 2018, 16:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GackMan View Post
I looked at something like this: http://www.truckvault.com/Products/Additional_Products/SeatVault.php
Wow, I like that!

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 1 October 2018, 18:19
Been There Done That

I carry a small set of hand tools, a flashlight, and a trauma bag. That’s about it. Other than whatever gun I have that day.

Our new posting rules