SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 22 September 2003, 04:23
Colt1911fan
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by yotanka
It is my understanding that he was not a founding member. How do I know? Was I there? No I was not. A founding member and I go way back, he called last week and this subject came up. When I mentioned the book and the "founding member" bit, he made many negative remarks. Based on what he said, I decided against reading the book, although I am interested in anything regarding the POW/MIA issue.
Near as I can tell between the Beckwith book and Haney's book, the earliest selection class he could have been a part of would be the 4th one. Beckwith said in his book that he did not get any Rangers until the 3rd class. I can't remember if he said if any of those guys passed, but assuming they did and taking from Haney a passage where he said that another ranger had already made it into the unit, the earliest would be the 4th class, though 5th is more likely.

Now I don't know if I would call that founding or not, but it is something for discussion, or given the subject matter and the board, perhaps just thought.
Old 17 March 2005, 00:14

Best book I've ever read.
Old 17 March 2005, 00:35
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclemens
Yeah, and if you had read this thread, you would not have gathered as much attention as you have....
Old 17 March 2005, 00:47

For everyone who was interested in the book, its going to be a TV show. David Mamet and Shawn Ryan(The dude who created "The Shield") are making a TV show about Delta called "The Unit". Its going to star Dennis Haybert from 24, Robert Patrick from T2 and a few others I hadn't heard of. Its not listed on the IMDB yet but its gotten referenced in Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. Mr.Haney also worked as a consultant for Mamet's "Spartan" flick with Val Kilmer. Here's the futon critic's summary:

THE UNIT (CBS) - Dennis Haysbert ("24") and Michael Irby ("Line of Fire") are the first to land roles in the Shawn Ryan/David Mamet-produced drama pilot, about the elite anti-terrorism force known as Delta Force. Haysbert and Irby will play Michael Blaine and Grey respectively, full details of which weren't specified. The project, which is loosely based on the book "Inside Delta Force" by Eric Haney, is set up at 20th Century Fox Television.
Old 17 March 2005, 01:10
Going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclemens
You need to read more books.

Five Years to Freedom is a good start.

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 17 March 2005, 01:25
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickColins
For everyone who was interested in the book, its going to be a TV show. David Mamet and Shawn Ryan(The dude who created "The Shield") are making a TV show about Delta called "The Unit". Its going to star Dennis Haybert from 24, Robert Patrick from T2 and a few others I hadn't heard of. Its not listed on the IMDB yet but its gotten referenced in Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. Mr.Haney also worked as a consultant for Mamet's "Spartan" flick with Val Kilmer. Here's the futon critic's summary:

THE UNIT (CBS) - Dennis Haysbert ("24") and Michael Irby ("Line of Fire") are the first to land roles in the Shawn Ryan/David Mamet-produced drama pilot, about the elite anti-terrorism force known as Delta Force. Haysbert and Irby will play Michael Blaine and Grey respectively, full details of which weren't specified. The project, which is loosely based on the book "Inside Delta Force" by Eric Haney, is set up at 20th Century Fox Television.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...t/showid-33480

not long for this world I suspect... althought T2 is in there.
Old 27 March 2005, 23:26

I am quite a bit late but I also along with all of the posts I read on the first few pages thought the book was good. I really enjoyed it. I read it in 2 sittings. I'm not exactly how long that took though. I didn't want to put it down, it was very interesting.

I figured I would tell you guys what I thought about it also even though I'm sure you guys probably couldn't care less about what some wannabe thinks about a book. :D
Old 28 March 2005, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon32
....even though I'm sure you guys probably couldn't care less about what some wannabe thinks about a book....
And who says wannabes aren't intuitive?
Old 28 March 2005, 01:31
Going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southoftheborder
And who says wannabes aren't intuitive?
He's been here a year with only 12 posts. He did his homework which is refreshing.
Odds are he'll mess it up though.

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 28 March 2005, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie320
He's been here a year with only 12 posts. He did his homework which is refreshing.
Odds are he'll mess it up though.
Yeah I am just a lurker mostly here and over on armyranger.com. I find that my experience and knowledge isn't needed because of the lack of both. But some here might know my name from over on mil.com where I post more often. I have like 2,000 posts or something I think there. But it isn't as strick and there are more opertunites where I actually have the knowledge or experience to post and stuff. Either way is cool with me. I just enjoy reading about SOF units and learning more and more about them.

Its probably better for you guys that I don't know much because I sometimes ramble like I just did. LOL :D
Old 29 March 2005, 18:03
Former Soldier

delta

Hey all
Just wanted to say that My father was in SFOD-D for 8 years. Served with Haney. And many others, like Feeney, even after the army they worked together with CTU based out of Fayetteville. Saving abducted children in other countries. Its hardcore and I respect them more than anyone else in the world. they literally Dedicate their lives to it in every aspect. I must say growing up with a father in Delta is pretty tough though. (you never see him)
RIP Tom Carter 25 April 2004 Bayji, Iraq

-Carter III
Old 23 February 2007, 09:54
Chew Toy of the Gods

I just finished Inside Delta Force, and it was a pleasure to read. CSM Haney has a way with words and, more importantly, a good tale inside him. This book gave outlet to both, to some extent.

I have nits to pick with his take on certain controversial events. He didn't display any difficulty publishing sensitive information, yet when he had a bone with the US Gov over duplicitous activities, he held his fire, not releasing the dirty secrets that might implicate individuals.

Overall, these do not detract greatly from this work. It's still a good read and gives a glimpse into the mindset of an operator. He seems less gratuitous and maudlin than some other authors.
I mostly enjoyed the selection and training narratives, although the operations are worth reading too.

My opinion -- worth what you paid for it.

"Zombie fire ants may sound like a science-fiction movie, but they are the real deal ..."
-Mary Lee, KXAN, Austin
Old 25 February 2007, 07:43
DaddyWilk
Visitor

Man, talk about knocking the dust off of it...
Old 10 March 2007, 19:48

First post here. Good board.

When we were waiting to go to Phase I of the Q-Course in 1983. We where on a holding status. We would be farmed out on details every morning. This one guy would pull up in his little pick up truck and pile a bunch of us in the back. He would take us to the old Delta Compound and the new one that was under construction. The guy was a slave driver, but took care of us. It was some of the hardest, back breaking, shit work I ever had to do. Soon found out who the crazy old guy in the little truck was (Walt Shumate) After that we didn't hide when his truck pulled up anymore. It was an honer to work for him. Even if it was mostly stacking up ammo boxes and cutting grass.
Some of the work was good. We were opfor a couple of times. He would give us a little training while we were sitting on the target. We were a bunch of wide eyed privates in the Q-Course. He always took the time to answer our questions. Looking back we probably annoyed the hell out of him. His talks and advice educated us about SOF. He taught us that we would be part of an community With a long history after graduating. Made us appreciate and feel privileged to be there.
Old 11 March 2007, 08:29
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by USArmyTC
Hey all
Just wanted to say that My father was in SFOD-D for 8 years. Served with Haney. And many others, like Feeney, even after the army they worked together with CTU based out of Fayetteville. Saving abducted children in other countries. Its hardcore and I respect them more than anyone else in the world. they literally Dedicate their lives to it in every aspect. I must say growing up with a father in Delta is pretty tough though. (you never see him)
RIP Tom Carter 25 April 2004 Bayji, Iraq

-Carter III
Feeney is one of the greatest people I have ever met- worked for CTU a while back. BTW he still clangs when he walks
Old 26 January 2008, 19:45

I know the thread is not recent, but I just found that :

Quote:
Delta Force Vets Dismiss Claims Of 'The Unit' Writer

By RICHARD LARDNER rlardner@tampatrib.com

The Tampa Tribune
Published: Apr 11, 2006

Eric Haney has made much out of his time as a member of Delta Force, America's clandestine counterterrorism outfit.

Way too much, according to former Delta Force officers and operators, who say Haney has embellished his résumé and fabricated other parts of his military career on his way to becoming an acclaimed author and a key contributor to the CBS television series "The Unit."

Now, as Haney's star rises in Hollywood and throughout the mainstream media, those who served with him say they've had enough. They're going public with withering critiques, describing Haney as a self-serving pretender seeking fame and money.

"It's always disturbing when a former member of the organization does something that lacks integrity," said retired Army Lt. Col. Lewis "Bucky" Burruss, who was assigned to Delta in November 1977 when the organization was formally activated.

Logan Fitch, Haney's former Delta squadron commander, said Haney's comments and conduct since he left the military more than a decade ago have earned him "persona non grata" status. He is banned from Delta facilities, reunions and commemorative events.

"I don't know of any [ex-Delta troops] who are sympathetic to Haney," said Fitch, who joined Delta shortly after Burruss did.

"I have no problem with him capitalizing on his experience, but he should be factual. I view him as a crass opportunist interested in personal gain," he said.

"The Unit," which premiered March 7 and has received solid Nielsen ratings, is based on Haney's autobiography, "Inside Delta Force." The show airs Tuesday evenings, and Haney is the program's supervising producer, technical adviser and co-writer.

Published in May 2002, "Inside Delta Force" advertises Haney as a "founding member" of the organization.

The book is filled with gripping accounts of Delta's brutal physical and psychological training regimen, the tight bonds forged among the troops, and top-secret missions to desolate locations, including the failed 1980 attempt to rescue U.S. hostages in Iran.

One of the most compelling episodes involves a Nicaraguan-born Army Green Beret whom Haney befriended while both were trying out for Delta in the fall of 1978. Five years later, Haney wrote, he would encounter this U.S. soldier-turned-Sandinista commando on a mountaintop in Honduras and kill him with a rifle shot during an intense firefight.

Burruss said he has never read Haney's book and never will. He's certain, though, the episode did not occur.

"It didn't happen. Period," said Burruss, who became Delta's deputy commander in June 1983 and spent nine years with the supersecret organization.

Mel Wick agreed with Burruss. Wick was assigned to Delta in November 1977 and served 16 years with the unit. He spent the last 3 1/2 as Delta's highest-ranking enlisted operator.

"He did not encounter his 'selection course roommate' - or anyone else - in the jungles of Central America and kill him," Wick wrote in a March 8 e-mail to the Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly after Haney appeared on "The O'Reilly Factor."

Haney "consistently takes credit for missions he was never on and things he never did in his book and in his public appearances," Wick's message said.

Wick provided the e-mail to The Tampa Tribune but declined to comment further.

Haney did not respond to a request for an interview, but provided a brief comment through his literary agent, Frank Weimann.

"I have nothing but respect for my former comrades," Haney said. "But I stand by everything in my book."

Weimann, an agent with The Literary Group International in New York, said Haney "doesn't feel the need to engage in pointless rhetoric."

"This is a newer version of Swift Boating," Weimann said, referring to the campaign by Navy Vietnam veterans to discredit 2004 presidential candidate John Kerry's military service.

Before joining Delta Force, Haney was an Army Ranger. William Sears, a retired staff sergeant who served with him in the 1st Ranger Battalion, said Haney is being criticized unfairly.

"Eric is not a liar. He's not anti-American," Sears said. "The fact that he's got a different opinion is what has gotten him into trouble with these people."

No Co-Founders

To those unfamiliar with the Delta fraternity, Haney casting himself as one of Delta's founding members might seem a minor infraction, a question of semantics. To those present at the creation, however, the claim is blasphemy.

"The only founder of the Delta Force was Charlie Beckwith," Burruss said. "There were no co-founders."

Haney was assigned to Delta in December 1978, according to Burruss, nearly 13 months after the organization was established. Haney would not become a qualified Delta operator until mid-1979.

Beckwith, a charismatic and controversial Army colonel, risked his career fighting for a more flexible special operations organization - one able to adapt quickly to unconventional threats such as an airplane hijacking.

Eventually, top military leaders directed Beckwith to create a counterterrorism team that would specialize in quick-strike, hostage-rescue missions. The hypersecret unit was named 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta. More simply, it was called Delta Force.

Beckwith died of natural causes in 1994 at age 65.

His daughter, Connie Beckwith Howe, has kept close ties with many of the soldiers picked by Beckwith to get Delta up and running. She has never met or spoken to Haney.

"People think he helped my dad start the unit, and he didn't," she said. "I haven't read Haney's book, and I don't care to."

Haney spent eight years with Delta Force, according to his book. In 1986, because of the mental and physical demands of the job, he was wrestling with whether to stay. Then, in rapid order, he received promotions to sergeant major and then command sergeant major, the highest rank an enlisted soldier can achieve in the Army.

With room for only one command sergeant major at Delta, Haney said the decision effectively was made for him. He asked for an assignment with an infantry unit and eventually retired from the Army in 1990.

A page from one of his final Delta efficiency reports is reprinted in his book. Haney is called an "outstanding" member of the organization, a soldier who is "tough, quiet and exceptionally talented."

Who thought so highly of Haney is not known, however, because the rater's name is not included on the document.

Average Performer

Wick said Haney never got above a four-man team leader position with Delta. His promotions to sergeant major and command sergeant major came after he left the organization, Wick said.

"He was a mediocre performer at best and not highly regarded by other unit members," Wick wrote in his e-mail to O'Reilly. "He liked to talk about how good he was instead of living it everyday."

Given Delta's demanding standards, mediocre would have made Haney a star in almost any other combat unit, Wick said, alluding to the caliber of Delta's personnel.

Released less than a year after the Sept. 11 attacks, "Inside Delta Force" received stellar reviews for providing a still-stunned American public with insights about the elite organization that was tracking Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaida associates.

With his counterterrorism background and willingness to share details, Haney began appearing on national radio and television news programs, including "The O'Reilly Factor," "Inside Edition" and "Larry King Live."

In 2003, Haney met and began working with writer/director David Mamet on one of Mamet's film projects. That led to a creative collaboration that resulted in "The Unit," according to information posted on the CBS Web site.

The action drama "follows a covert team of Special Forces operatives as they risk their lives on undercover missions around the globe, while their families maintain the home front, protecting their husbands' secrets," according to CBS.

The network has ordered 13 episodes of the program.

20th Century Fox Television is producing "The Unit." Company spokesman Chris Alexander would not say how much Haney is being paid, citing a longstanding practice of not discussing contract compensation.

Beyond the show, Haney has emerged as a sharp critic of the war in Iraq, telling the Los Angeles Daily News last month that President Bush had launched an "utter debacle" and "may well have started the third world war."

Credibility Questioned

Fitch, the former Delta squadron commander, said Haney's credibility to make such statements is undermined by inaccuracies in his book.

When Delta Force landed in the Iranian desert in April 1980 to stage the rescue of more than 50 Americans taken hostage months earlier, the Americans encountered a bus full of civilians traveling down a dirt road.

The bus was stopped and boarded by Delta operators. According to Haney's account, Fitch led the way. As he neared the rear of the bus, a young Iranian "jumped up and punched Logan in the nose," Haney wrote.

That never happened, Fitch said.

"If someone had hit me, I probably would have shot him," he said.

"I read 'Inside Delta Force' once, put it down in disgust and haven't picked it up since," Fitch said.

Dick Davis spent 15 years in Delta Force, succeeding Wick as the unit's command sergeant major in 1994. Davis said Haney has been trying to profit from his Delta experience since the mid-1990s, when he tried to claim copyright to the organization's emblem, a sword overlaid by a triangle-shaped thunderbolt.

Other individuals were responsible for the logo design, Davis said, and Haney's claim was rejected.

Haney's book revealed too much about the organization's inner workings, potentially putting people and programs at risk, he said.

"I don't have a lot time for Eric Haney," Davis said. "What he has done is break faith with the troops."

In a statement to The Tampa Tribune, the top spokesman at U.S. Special Operations Command noted that service members who have access to classified information are required to sign an agreement stating they will not disclose that information.

But Army Col. Sam Taylor would not say whether Haney's book violated that agreement. Military authorities were not given an opportunity to review "Inside Delta Force" before it was published, he said, but the command "and other government entities" did review it afterward.

Those authorities determined, "based on various factors, that no further action was warranted at that time," Taylor said.

"The book may, as with all books that purport to reveal historical events from an individual perspective, be biased, incomplete, contain elements of questionable accuracy or simply be wrong," he said. "Socom does not intend to specifically identify those areas."
http://web.archive.org/web/200604241...BMS7AKVLE.html
Old 27 January 2008, 22:17

William "Country" Grimes was one of the first . . . he was also at the "greek swimmer-scout" course which actually was the training site for an English Channel Swim near Corinthos Greece prior to the channel swim.

The swim took place from the Cliffs of Dover, the white ones, towards France and Frank Mulligan was the one that made it across the channel but was pulled before landfall so the "swim" couldn't be technically completed . . . something about politics n' stuff . . . there were others around . . .

Joe H.

He was part of the first operators course, and therefore his claim to being a founding member. Sounds valid to me, but what do I know.

Also, the 18-mile swim was supposedly part of a Greek swimmer-scout course, but that distance has been disputed in a thread here.
Old 30 January 2008, 16:16

Inside DeltaForce

I have read it 2 times so far and am working on reading it a third. You should check out The TV show The Unit it is based on the book i love that show.
Old 30 January 2008, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Phantom
I have read it 2 times so far and am working on reading it a third. You should check out The TV show The Unit it is based on the book i love that show.
Golly gee -- thanks for the insight....
Old 30 January 2008, 17:19
Been There Done That

It sounds like a pretty scary type of life style.

Our new posting rules