SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 4 August 2018, 16:00
I really don't care

Problems after Windows 10 update...will not boot completely

Since the latest Windows 10 update my laptop suddenly stopped booting all the way. I've read up about this and it seems that, the booting all the way up to the sign in page then screen going black and cursor still showing......... is common after this update.

So far I have tried all of the F1, F2, F12 magic, with no luck. I no longer have the original disks that came with the computer, but I do have Windows 10 boot disk on a USB. I'm doing something wrong because no matter what I do the computer will not recognize that USB in order to start it up. It shows up in Explorer, but going through all of the boot processes the computer does not read the F drive with the thumbstick.

Any help appreciated.
Old 4 August 2018, 17:35
SOCNET Moderator

Reboot the computer. After it posts but before it attempts to load widows you should be able to hit F2 or delete, enter the bios and make the usb drive your boot device and that should allow you to use boot the usb stick.
Old 4 August 2018, 18:16
I really don't care

Changed to sub hdd and did same. It got to the welcome and sign in page. When I tap sign in it goes to a black screen with cursor showing.
Old 4 August 2018, 18:21
I really don't care

Ooops that was supposed to be USB HDD.
Old 4 August 2018, 18:26
I really don't care

This is the error message what's I tried to do what was mentioned above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180804_171952.jpg (20.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 4 August 2018, 20:21
Nexus Schemer

Is there any data you need on the machine?

Have you tried safe mode? Did they load successfully?
Did you try to use system Restore?

If no one else can. Fix this for you by next Monday let me know. I can send you a windows 10 pro dvd. I’m at the beach in NC and will not be back to the office until next Saturday.

I’ll check the thread the thread and see where you got

Last edited by Saw7616; 4 August 2018 at 20:41.
Old 11 August 2018, 18:04
I really don't care

Thanks for that offer Saw. I just may take you up on that.

So yes, I did pretty much everything you listed. So finally I got so exasperated I get on the phone with Microsoft which is never pleasurable. Absolutely amazingly it was actually an American female. So when it was all said and done I still haven't got it fixed but I have a warranty so Ill just take it and turn it in. In fact I may just take the damn thing and smash it on the ground and use the accidental damage part of my warranty.

It just kills me that Microsoft takes no obligation for forcing a Windows update on your computer that ruins it.

I finally just gave up after I did a hard boot and it still didn't work. I deleted everything off my hard drive over to an external hard drive and just went ahead and did it. I'll be taking it to the shop tomorrow.
Old 11 August 2018, 19:16
Nexus Schemer

I just got back to the house. Let me know if you still need something
Old 12 August 2018, 05:40
I'm Johan and think I'm fooling everyone

Quote:
This is the error message what's I tried to do what was mentioned above.
Ramzmedic, apologies for being late to the party. Your error is related to Secure Boot. To disable this option you have to go into your BIOS, disable Secure Boot, enable Legacy option ROM, and leave boot in UEFI mode. Press an appropriate key to save changes and reboot the PC. If you have you USB option as a first one in boot order all should boot properly from usb drive. Alternatively you can press boot menu key during boot and select USB drive from there.

From what you wrote you already tried to boot into Windows 10 recovery mode? Since you can log in system seems to be generally sound, probably Explorer went south.

Last edited by Paul85; 12 August 2018 at 05:46.

Our new posting rules