SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 13 August 2018, 15:29
Authorized Personnel

Google tracking

This may sound obvious to many here, but Google is full of shit. But, this is a good technical write-up on it all.

https://apnews.com/828aefab64d4411bac257a07c1af0ecb
Old 13 August 2018, 22:50
Never to old to learn

Yes it is true Google stated it has the ability to track you all the time. I think if I remember right it has something to with something built in to the phone an the aps that you use, some shit like that. It's the cookies as they call them. You get them on your computer. Every time I turn on my computer I run a program to check what cookies are on it. You can't get one a web site with out them adding a tracking cookie, RUN BY GOOGLE
Old 14 August 2018, 13:10
Authorized Personnel

It's not cookies, wildman43. This is related to your phone's IMEI, GPS, and related attributes. Cookies are a function of your browser, alone. And while Cookies can be used to track geolocation, it is similar, but not related to the article above.
Old 14 August 2018, 13:15
Confirmed User

Is apple any better in terms of privacy?
Old 14 August 2018, 13:18
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
Is apple any better in terms of privacy?
It's the difference between having shit fill up your undies and run down your leg, and some skid-marks. Both are terrible, but one you can get away with a little longer. Both stink.

Edit to add: there are hardware related issues (chipset on your phone, and associated components), Operating System issues (Android versus iOS), and then application (Google, et al.). Google is a huge offender, but there's a bit of crap with all of them.
Old 14 August 2018, 15:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
It's the difference between having shit fill up your undies and run down your leg, and some skid-marks. Both are terrible, but one you can get away with a little longer. Both stink.

Edit to add: there are hardware related issues (chipset on your phone, and associated components), Operating System issues (Android versus iOS), and then application (Google, et al.). Google is a huge offender, but there's a bit of crap with all of them.
Thank you!
Old 14 August 2018, 18:42
Never to old to learn

Quote:
It's not cookies, wildman43. This is related to your phone's IMEI, GPS, and related attributes. Cookies are a function of your browser, alone. And while Cookies can be used to track geolocation, it is similar, but not related to the article above.
Yes I know but some tomes I can't think of the correct word to use I get
Old 15 August 2018, 05:55
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
Yes I know but some tomes I can't think of the correct word to use I get
I'm the same way, no worries. I just wanted to make sure we didn't go down a weird path talking about browser cookies.
Old 15 August 2018, 07:07
BTDT

Quote:
This may sound obvious to many here, but Google is full of shit. But, this is a good technical write-up on it all.

https://apnews.com/828aefab64d4411bac257a07c1af0ecb
Thanks for the reminder. I never use the web access for Google and they did indeed add the 'Activity' setting since the last time I checked. But all I had in mine was stuff like "added brown rice to Fat Secret macro tracking application".

I deleted all the info and turned the setting off. But I had zero location data from any source that I could find. Not even rough based data from towers, access points etc... I use Google Maps occasionally (use Waze always for nav) - but I use "Device Only" for GPS and only turn it on only for routes, then back off. WiFi gets turned off 3 minutes after LOS from the home AP until manually turned back on. I also block a ton of built in Google services using AFWall (application aware IP Tables firewall - needs Root). I spoof the device name in any routers log, - I used to spoof the MAC Address, but that comes and goes (Pry-Fi was the greatest app ever written). The good news is, I haven't seen a legit IMSI Catcher yet Your provider has IMEI etc... only way around that is to go Wi-Fi only device and corrupt the Baseband partition... takes guts to have no cell radio on your main device

I don't know, but all I can say is that if you want to use an Android device - spend a week reading XDA on how to flash recovery's and ROMs for the device, install Lineage with Root, install AFWall, and go through every setting on the device and the web account, and all the stuff I mentioned above. You literally only have to mess with it once, unless you always want the latest Nightly OS build.

Oh, and encrypt your shit after you set your screen unlock password to a QWERTY entry that's fairly long and complicated (but still allows somewhat quick acess - convenience vs security), install CryptFS app to then change boot auth password to a *really long one*, and install BootUnlocker to on fly lock/unlock the boot loader. "A mind is a terrible thing to waste".

Our new posting rules