SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 5 September 2018, 18:33
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
I don't like property data (especially interior) going anywhere outside my LAN - personal preference. I will always recommend running a Blue Iris server - but I know 0.1% will do so. I have FOSCAM wireless units that work fine, but it's interior - all exterior wireless is always try and pray. With Amazon, you can just send it back for free though. PoE is the way to go for best data rate and power - but you gotta run it. Blue Iris will send stills or video to (my preference) ProtonMail or any email account you want, so stealing the server doesn't matter. You could also stick a NAS or tiny laptop somewhere it won't be found, and xcopy all videos there. As usual, if you want simple and easy, I'm no help
Sweet, I'm part of the 0.1%! I've got an issue with my camera's ghosting people as they walk by. I've heard really good things about Dahua and the starlight sensors.

To the original OP, I have NEST for less sensitive areas of my house.
Old 6 September 2018, 06:55
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
Hello PP,

I've got 2 Kamtron (Tilt/Pan/Zoom) units that looks similar. I'd like to ask 2 questions:

1. After several months one of mine lost Tilt capability. Do you regularly use pan & tilt, and has it proven to be robust over time?

2. Do you need to have the SD card installed in the camera to retrieve the video, or can you watch it through a PC?

I would like to use SD cards and not be dependent on having it in the camera, using the proprietary MIPC software. If the camera dies, I lose my pictures and video.
I don't P/T often. I have it in a corner and with the viewing angle, I get the whole room. There is also the detection zones to worry about if you P/T 24/7 - I don't see how it wouldn't trigger the motion algorithm.

No SD card anywhere - I have an actual computer record everything. You can too I think, with the OEM software it comes with (just a plug-in for a web page hosted on the camera). It's basic but better than nothing. Blue Iris is only $49 though.
Old 6 September 2018, 07:00
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph View Post
Sweet, I'm part of the 0.1%! I've got an issue with my camera's ghosting people as they walk by. I've heard really good things about Dahua and the starlight sensors.

To the original OP, I have NEST for less sensitive areas of my house.
Yeah, I remembered that one or two bit the bullet here I've got external lighting helping, but the FOSCAM and Panasonic night vision is pretty good. Cameras are still far from fool proof - and I bet even the million dollar systems require checking up on - animals, birds, insects that land directly on the lens, lightening, etc... all trigger the motion sensor when it's set to perfectly detect people - cost of doing business.
Old 6 September 2018, 11:48
Confirmed User

The Arlo looks very similar to the Blink system. I installed the Blink system last year. New Year's Eve, I was out with the lady friend, and we had a break in at about 0300 hrs.
The alerts didn't get the cops there in time to catch him in the act, but we did get a confession from him by noon on the first.

My favorite video clip was the one where he saw the camera (one of 5), disappeared into a bedroom, and emerged with a blanket draped over his head to hide his face. He then lifted the blanket to see the camera (giving a perfect closeup of his face), and ripped the camera off of the wall.

He then proceeded to film his entire outfit and shoes while stealing the camera. He filmed his escape until he drove out of wi-fi range.

The knuckle head didn't understand the concept of overlapping fields of camera, or cloud storage.
Old 7 September 2018, 09:28
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverescue View Post

He then proceeded to film his entire outfit and shoes while stealing the camera. He filmed his escape until he drove out of wi-fi range.
Now *that* is a very definite positive for a completely battery operated camera... may have to see if I can get Blink to talk internally, to my server vs their server.

When he saw the camera, did he cut short his crime spree? Did you have any warning signs posted?
Old 7 September 2018, 11:54
Confirmed User

He saw the camera as he was headed upstairs. I rent out my basement, so no cameras down there. I got his entry through the back yard, and as he turned the corner to come upstairs, he noticed the camera. He sprinted downstairs for his "disguise" and came back to remove the evidence. He then left.
I have a few old guns in a glass front cabinet that I'm sure would have been gone if he continued, but the camera was enough of a deterrent that he took off once he thought that he had nabbed the evidence.

No warning signs posted.

The Blink system allows you to turn on/off an illuminating light and a recording indicator light. The illuminating light alerted him to this camera's presence, while others lit by streetlights and such went unnoticed by him.

The cop's reaction was awesome when he saw the video. He had a statement filled out by the suspect, who claimed to be in another state at the time of the break in. The cop said, "Is that your final answer?" and showed him one of the video clips.
The bad guy then said, "I really f*cked up, didn't I?" and confessed in full.
Old 7 September 2018, 12:00
Policeman Officer

As a cop there is nothing I love better than blowing somebody's bullshit story out of the water.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 28 October 2018, 12:48
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Thanks everyone, we ordered the Arlo system.
Purple, Can you provide a quick review/update of the system you went with? Pros - Cons? I am looking at Arlo or Ring. Thanks
Old 28 October 2018, 13:29
Policeman Officer

One of my Arlo cameras just died after 6-9 months, I'll have to get it replaced.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 28 October 2018, 14:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
One of my Arlo cameras just died after 6-9 months, I'll have to get it replaced.
I got mine last Christmas. I have only charged them 2 times.
Old 28 October 2018, 16:40
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
I got mine last Christmas. I have only charged them 2 times.
Mine get activated a hundred times a day but still hold the charge a good while. This one is flat out dead though.

Old 28 October 2018, 18:49
Swimming Upstream

I've gone with an Amazon cam and the Arlo system. Both seem to be working well for what I want...so far so good. Of course if Wifi/power goes out then they are dead in the water. We were able to watch the house while in Tokyo.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 28 October 2018, 20:17
killjoy

Arlo here. Got 2 cameras and base station from Costco for $200 last year. Paid $80 for the Tenergy name brand rechargeable batteries for both. I prefer the no cost for cloud storage because I don't want ongoing expenses.

Pretty happy with it. Goes off a lot when it's windy but it's only a couple steps on a stool to change batteries. We put one camera inside when away for a few days so we can troll the cats and call the house and watch them react to our voice.

Caught the garbage man being a nice guy and picking up some trash that fell from the container on it's way into the truck, other than that nothing remarkable.
Old 29 October 2018, 20:29
33,024 - R.I.P.

I went with the Arlo Pro camera system. Bought it from Sam’s today, and I am returning it tomorrow. The lag time from motion detection to notification, coupled with slow video response (25-30 seconds), means this is a no go for me. Twenty five seconds means the perp is already inside the house before video begins to record.
I tried adjusting my WiFi to prioritize the cameras over the other systems, but still no performance upgrade.
Old 29 October 2018, 20:54
Policeman Officer

Mine is about a five second delay. Definitely too much but nobody is getting in my house within five seconds anyway.

Old 29 October 2018, 22:41
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
As a cop there is nothing I love better than blowing somebody's bullshit story out of the water.
Except pit bulls.
Old 29 October 2018, 23:07
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Except pit bulls.
Well it's a toss up. I had a little white fluffy poodle bit my hand while I was rescuing the little shit from a fire, meanwhile every pit I've dealt with has been a sweetheart. And there are TONS of pits around here.

Old 30 October 2018, 10:39
BTDT

Cameras require constant "babysitting" - when someone invents software that only alerts to actual people - they will be a millionaire. Blue Iris has Motion Tracking via Linear Pixel Activation and/or Zone Crossing...Lightening, Sunlight, and Animals will still trigger a camera - oh well - still worth it, an image appears in my email and I just look at it.

Just an FYI for new users.
Old 30 October 2018, 12:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Cameras require constant "babysitting" - when someone invents software that only alerts to actual people - they will be a millionaire. Blue Iris has Motion Tracking via Linear Pixel Activation and/or Zone Crossing...Lightening, Sunlight, and Animals will still trigger a camera - oh well - still worth it, an image appears in my email and I just look at it.

Just an FYI for new users.
I don't run Win boxes. Do you run this on an embedded win device, or something else?
Old 31 October 2018, 11:18
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
I don't run Win boxes. Do you run this on an embedded win device, or something else?
I run a Windows Home Server 2011 box I built (ATX formfactor) for email, storage, backup, etc... blah-blah. Blue Iris runs on it (it'll run on Win anything). I have it piped to a 27" LCD that sits next to the TV in the main viewing area, and speakers connected you can hear throughout the whole house for alerts. Camera servers need some horsepower for live viewing - and the more cameras (and the higher the rez), the more power. At 640x480 it's about 10% CPU for each camera with an AMD-A10.

Our new posting rules