Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 12 June 2000, 22:40
OGREEN6
Visitor

The SOCNET boots thread....

I'm searching the best waterproof tactical boots, and where to buy their ?
Old 12 June 2000, 23:43
Confirmed User

Check out the Danner Acadia. It is 8" tall, coudura on the sides, gore-tex, comes insulated or not and is current issue to the Ranger Regiment. There is no better all-around tac boot. They can be bought through almost any company that sells tac gear or Danner has its own web site. I have seen them priced from $150-$200. Do some research for the best price.
Old 13 June 2000, 03:16
XS
Visitor

Question

What are they like for ankle support? I have seen some boots that go half way up your leg yet still roll easily.

There was one boot, the name of which I have forgotten that supposedly can't roll. It is reportedly quite popular among para's.

Does anyone know of this?
Old 14 June 2000, 19:30
OGREEN6
Visitor

Question

Thank you Carpe282, but what do you think about Tactical Waterproof 3651 of Altama and Hi-tech Magnum ?
Old 17 June 2000, 01:01
Confirmed User

I don't have any experience with the Altimas.
They are still pretty new to the market and I have not needed new boots since their introduction. The Hi-tecs are good for the money and comfortable but they do not last. I have yet to see a pair in good condition after a year of hard use. I have several pairs of boots that I have "collected" over the years.
I have 3 pairs of Danners, all of which are over 5 years old with one pair over ten.
They are heavier than Hi-tecs but will last a lot longer as they are made with better materials and leathers. They are very stable and I have worn mine doing everything from hiking Mt.Rainier to chasing badguys. What are you going to use them for and how much do you want to spend?
Danners are an investment and are well worth the money.
Old 8 September 2000, 23:55
Confirmed User

Exclamation Danner Acadia

This goes in best boots, but it was getting long....

I got a pair of Danner Acadia uninsulated Gore-Tex. Sweetest ever!

Wore them on a 5k compass course over rocky/sandy, damp terrain. No heel, arch pain, no cold no feet wet from exterior moisture. Best boots for my Army Reserve use! HOOAH thanks Danner!!!
Had two small blister on top of my big toes, do to not breaking in the boots. The lace to toe needs a little more wear in time.

More info, contact me....

------------------
Riley
Do it right, or not at all.
Old 26 September 2000, 04:22
Ktulu
Visitor

I also have acadia boots that are 2 years old & have lasted very well over OMANs razor sharp rocky terrain.
Get some OD cushion sole socks and you will never have any foot trouble!

Old 4 January 2001, 04:15
Authorized Personnel

warm weather boot

Whats the best warm weather boot that is good for long distance rucks?
Old 4 January 2001, 04:19
Confirmed User

Military or civilian?
Old 4 January 2001, 16:05
Authorized Personnel

Military, tan or black.
Old 4 January 2001, 19:28
Confirmed User

They are basically the same boots, the tan, for the desert, don't have drain holes so sand doesn't get in. Fot military use black will be used more (depending on where you are), but you might find the desert boots.

------------------
"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today"
-- James Dean

-Jesse Foust
Old 14 January 2001, 05:10
Challenged Ranger
Visitor

Be careful too though...the fact that military boots don't have a midsole makes them a danger for shin splints...this may cause problems as you could see...you usually have to resole the boot to make them really good for rucking...consider the new marine corps boots, now as much as i am not a proponent of gore tex boots, they really are quite comfy for ruck marches....
Old 14 January 2001, 12:27
bubba
Visitor

As a grunt all I do is walk. Warm, cool, "africa hot", or "arctic cold", the best boot for long nature hikes or forced marches has got to be the ARMY ISSUE od green jungle boot with the steel removed and re-soled with vibram soles(the padded flat kind). I stress ARMY ISSUE because of fake crappie imports/copies. No date on the collar, not issue boot. I'v been doing this for about 6 and a half years with ranger/airborne/airasault/sniper/etc., and have had the same two pair of trusty field boots for the whole thing. The black kind issued to me in HI wore out after about 2 months of garrison duty road marches.

------------------
RLTW
Old 14 January 2001, 13:26
Confirmed User

I'd like to add, unless you are military, civilian boots would be better. If you are military, you might not get to choose between black and tan boots.
Old 18 January 2001, 16:15
Authorized Personnel

Yeah I've noticed the problems with the new black jungle boots. The vents rusted out and a few of the speed lace loops broke. I used them whenever I went to the field this past summer but decided against wearing them on our week long defensive exercise because I thought they might not be too good for digging in and I would get more protection from a boot with a leather side from shovels and picks etc... This summer I should be on the first two phases of Canadian Infantry Officer training which basically means that when I'm in the field I'll either be marching or digging in. Jungle boots don't really seem to have the support and protection needed for the type of activities I'll be involved in. I've also heard that the leather used in desert boots wears out pretty fast but they cost about half of the USMC Matterhorn boots. I guess we're given a lot of freedom when it comes to kit we use on officer training, basically if the instructors use it we can. Thats really different then my basic and infantry training where we all had to be exact copies of each other.
Old 19 January 2001, 02:24
Been There Done That

Hi garret:

Warm weather...all I gotta say is DESERT BOOTS They are the most comfy ones going...add a little foot powder in the heat(sans sox)and heaven If they get on you for the DBs they can be dyed Plus they don't suck in dust and grit like the JBs do (The rough out leather also looks like dirt through NVGs so a plus camo wise). If you buy them yourself make sure you get ISSUE boots, the commercial ones just don't cut it, Altama sells them online(issue) if you can't get them at the Q store.

Take care...Jim, aka Happy Feets
Old 27 January 2001, 15:25
Marine

I'd have to say that my Bates Lites have served me fairly well, I wore them on an 86 mile ruck march. Yeah, my feet were looking like raw hamburger by the end, but I think that was the result of poor footcare on my part. I learned some painful lessons on that march. You can get away with some things for 25-30 miles, but around 50-60 miles you'll know that you screwed up.
Old 27 January 2001, 15:27
Marine

Almost forgot, Bates are great for road marches. Off road, they get a little iffy, the soles don't have very much traction. I'd like to try Bubba's idea and see if that works better, but since we're changing utility uniforms this summer, it doesn't seem like a wise investment.
Old 28 January 2001, 22:09
bubba
Visitor

New uniform??? Us army types are getting pizza hats, what are you marine types getting to be mad at?

------------------
RLTW
Old 29 January 2001, 15:53
Law Pirate

New digital camo pattern. Luffly.

Our new posting rules