SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 16 September 2005, 22:31
Probationary User

Boot picks

Does anybody have a segestion for some good tactical boots that won't ruffle any feathers while on duty in the sandbox. My buddy got the Oakleys and is attached to a SF group so it flies, but I am worried about non traditional boots pissing off higher ups. I want a pair that wear like running shoes, not too hot, light, and reliable. Thanks for the help.
Old 17 September 2005, 23:38
Confirmed User

What's wrong with the issue boots? I've always worn those, no problems. Not impressed with the Oakleys.
Old 18 September 2005, 00:11
Authorized Personnel

You can't go wrong with the issues. I have heard decent things about the new 5.11 boots and know guys that wear the Oakleys. I have always worn the uninsulated Danner Acadias and am on at least my 3rd or 4th pair. They resole easily and are almost like new afterwards. They just feel much more durable and comfortable. They are a bit heavy for swim quals which is why I would cheat and then wear the jungles.
Archer: Mancy. What'd you think I said?
Old 18 September 2005, 02:01

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/show...light=Footwear

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5908

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2623

Last edited by towncar; 18 September 2005 at 04:41.
Old 18 September 2005, 04:50

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtop...9dc0ccb89d4f81

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtop...9dc0ccb89d4f81

I'm not being a smart ass,just can't sleep
Old 18 September 2005, 05:05
Probationary User

I looked them up on the search and got back a few hundred replies and most of them were older so I wanted to get some fresh opinions of the newer boots. Thanks for the help though.
Old 18 September 2005, 05:34

No sweat.I know they're kinda old threads,but....
Good luck on your search.
On a personal note,I just got a pair of Corcoran boots,7in.I'm civilian and don't know jack squat about military requirements,but damn,they are some comftorable out of the box boots.And,again,I'm a civilian and what works for me probably won't work for you.
Cove is the parent company of Corcoran/Matterhorn
Here's the site;
http://www.shoeline.com/asp/Showall....y&SubCat1=Dryz

Last edited by towncar; 19 September 2005 at 14:54.
Old 19 September 2005, 20:24
Confirmed User

If you have the $$$, HANWAG boots from Germany seem to be the finest (according to those who can afford 3 to 5 hundred for a boot) I know that you can get them through Lathrop & Sons out of Illinois.

But even if you can't afford the Hanwags, I would highly recommend that anyone who hasn't been fitted with a custom foot-bed serious think about it. Doing so saves all sorts of wear and tear on the joints and translates to less fatigue.

I know that the Lathrops are full time podiatrists who specialize in building custom foot-beds for their patients, including diabetics who have special needs when it comes to foot-beds. Their foot-beds are constructed with a proprietary foam used for these special medical foot-beds. Using this technology, they have been able to crossover into hunting and military boots, by building custom foot-beds specifically for these needs.

The Lathrops are passionate about boots and foot-beds. When ordering the custom foot-beds. You will have to send a tracing of your feet, along with digital photos, and fill out a questionnaire that asks things like what type of use, and if you have any particular foot problems. These guys are dead serious when it comes to building their custom foot-beds.

They have a website at www.lathropandsons.com or call them at 618-544-7312 and ask for Stephen. I had custom 'inserts' before, but their work is a significant improvement.

Hanwag boots can be found at this site http://www.hanwag.co.uk
Old 25 September 2005, 13:56
Going back

Wellco ICB's. A little warm on the feet, but the best boots I've ever owned.

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 25 September 2005, 15:20
Confirmed User

remember when we weren't "sponsored". hmm the ole jungles and Isreali chuck taylors. In Somalia the issued Jungles kinda sucked until we got the padded tops, I would have worn those padded tops to church. Botach tacticle had those adidas for cheap... 'cause they were. Issues breathable deserts these days seem to do the trick. When it got up to 140 flippin degrees the boots were rotting.... along with the feet, didnt see to many lifers--which I am so back off-- saying to much about white socks.
Old 25 September 2005, 21:30
Confirmed User

"Military Morons" just did a great review of the footbeds and one style of the Hanwags. http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/footwear2.html The code for viewing pictures is alway "MM".
Old 25 September 2005, 21:40
Confirmed User

I am still in shock at the Corps for moving into a non polishing boot.. that isnt black baking from the sun.
Old 26 September 2005, 02:49
Authorized Personnel

After having worn the new Marine Corps Combat Boot (MCCB) for the last year, I highly recommend it. It's comfortable, lightweight, and for the cost, it's worth the money.

S/F.
Old 26 September 2005, 09:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0699
After having worn the new Marine Corps Combat Boot (MCCB) for the last year, I highly recommend it. It's comfortable, lightweight, and for the cost, it's worth the money.
I agree. I wore the new boot for 20 months total in Iraq and I didnt have any complaints about it. My buddy wore the Oakley boot and on his first mission a nail went right throught the bottom. He was issued those from Force, but they ended up in the trash. It would be a shame to spend money on a boot that couldnt hold up in a less then sanitary area.

G

I'm more Muj than the Muj.
Mr. S (OIF 2 An Anbar)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 18 November 2005, 10:12
Percunctor Ex Hostilis

Army issue boots are squeeky

Can anyone give me some advice? I'm a sailor, but I went TAD and got issued some Army boots at Benning. I like 'em, but they squeek when I walk. The back of my heels rub against the leather in the back of the boot. Has any of you Army dudes ever had that problem and know how to fix it? Spanks in advance.:D
Old 18 November 2005, 10:24
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

The back of your heels rub? I would think that instead of "sqeaking" that this would chaffe the hell out of you and give you huge blisters. But maybe I am reading this wrongly and misunderstanding you.

If it is the general "squeak" associated with walking, I would suggest this is a problem of the floor surface against the sole of your boot.

Again, maybe I am misunderstanding you....
Old 18 November 2005, 14:12
Percunctor Ex Hostilis

Maybe I haven't worn em long enought to get blisters, just a couple weeks. The fit may be wrong, I dunno. I can feel it rub in the back when I raise my heel. I tried duct tape, no dice. I guess I have wierd feet. I'm gonna try different materials but other than that I'm at a loss.
Old 18 November 2005, 14:53
Old Scroll

Thumbs up

Throw your army issue boots into a bucket of hot water. Let them soak for an hour. Then put them on and walk them dry. Be sure that you've got them laced up completely and tightly. After doing this a couple of times they will have conformed themselves nicely to your feet, and you shouldn't have any more problems.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 18 November 2005, 14:55
SOCNET Moderator

If they are rubbing, it sounds like the fit is improper. You may wear a size 10 in one manufacturers boots, but a 10.5 in anothers, and a 9.5 in sneakers.

The squeak may be caused by the leather. To solve that, get em sopping wet (like in the shower) then saddle soap the shit out of 'em and wear them until they are dry.

Like SOTB said, the squeak may also be caused by the soft rubber soles on a hard surface. Have the soles replaced if you so desire. There is a shoe/boot repair shop at most Army PX's, and several off-post if there are ground troops at that installation. I don't know if the same service is available at a BX.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble
Old 18 November 2005, 17:37
Percunctor Ex Hostilis

Thanks everyone for the time and advice. I'll give em a soak.:)

Last edited by misisipiboy; 18 November 2005 at 17:41.

Our new posting rules