Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Explosive Ordnance Disposal

Old 30 May 2017, 12:45
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

WWII grenades from flea market explode in summer heat

German grenades I reckon, I cannot fathom why somebody would want to have these things around.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/w...530-story.html

Do you EOD guys get assignments that require you to deal with old WWII ordnance.
Old 30 May 2017, 22:11
EOD Mod

There's still a lot of calls on WWII stuff. The Detachment in Guam handles quite a bit. The Northern Europeans deal with sea mines fairly regularly.
Old 30 May 2017, 23:02
Been There Done That

I can testify that pineapple grenades (as of the early 90's) still go high order reliably as fuck.
Old 2 June 2017, 20:27

I've heard stories of various ordnance detonating in Europe and other war zones of the past, I also recall British series on PBS called Danger UXB, which explored an EOD detail tasked with dealing with unexploded bombs and such while the war was still going on.

The old pineapple grenades from WWII and beyond is what we all thinked of when we thought of grenades, I was somewhat disappointed when we threw a couple of the newer grenades in basic, M-33s I believe at that time back in '87. I was expecting the type I grew up seeing in various movies and tv shows, like Combat.

I'm betting all of those suckers have a shelf life of some kind, and certain storage requirements. Not sure I'd want to pull the pin on one of the old WWII grenades, although I suppose they'd do in a pinch if absolutely necessary.
Old 2 June 2017, 22:13
Confirmed User

here is an article from 1/2016
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...any-180957680/
Old 3 July 2017, 11:27

Im current military USAF EOD, Former USA EOD, and a Current Civilian Bomb Tech. I live in the northeast and get MKII grenade calls consistently. I also get called out to 75mm projos and Stokes mortars quite a bit that still high order like the day they were made.
Old 3 July 2017, 11:56

You should check out a book sometime entitled Sailors to the End:The Deadly Fire on the USS Forrestal and the Heroes Who Fought It , an in depth look at the fire on the ship that was caused by an errant Zuni rocket that was fired from an aircraft while it was prepping to launch.

They devote a fair amount of time to why the explosions that caused most of the damage were so powerful, the primary reason was pinpointed on old, barely serviceable bombs from WWII that were pressed into service because of a shortage of more modern munitions.

As soon as those old bombs were brought on board, the ordnance chief made sure they were loaded right away onto aircraft for that day's first mission, he just wanted them off the ship. Apparently they were very volatile, and were described as "leaking". Apparently when those things went off they did so with a very high order, they were simply not safe and as soon as they got torched a little bit by the fires that broke out after the Zuni rocket struck some planes, they just started rocking the ship to its core.

Our new posting rules