Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 3 March 2018, 23:44
Confirmed User

Congratulations, hopefully I don't run into you at work ��.
Old 4 March 2018, 00:58
Confirmed User

Thanks all! I'm pretty stoked about the new job!
Old 4 March 2018, 06:59
Confirmed User

Late to the discussion, but I always ask very bluntly; "If you're so great, why are you on the street?". It IS harsh, but will always elicit a telling response, good or bad.
Old 4 March 2018, 10:02
Violence of Action

I'm always glad to hear when someone gets a job that they enjoy. It takes the sting out of the word "work."

Congratulations on the new position. I wish you the very best of success!
Old 4 March 2018, 10:11
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
So I've read over these questions and been ruminating on them, but they all seem too personal for us (me at least) to help you with answers. What are your strengths? I know what mine are, but that doesn't necessarily align with yours. Why are you leaving your current job is a question only you can answer.

I have found that the best way to answer interview questions is blunt yet polite and sincere honesty. I've sat across the table and asked the questions and I feel like I can always detect a lack of sincerity in answers. Interviewers aren't looking for the "textbook perfect" answer. IME, I don't bring anyone in for an interview unless I think they're a good candidate for the job. The quickest way to become NOT a good candidate is a lack of sincerity.

I'm not saying walk in without rehearsing; I've asked basic questions like "What is the most difficult leadership problem you've ever had to solve", only to have people stumble all over themselves trying to come up with an answer.

My recommendation:
1) Search on line for "common interview questions for XXX position".
2) Write down the questions.
3) Write down your sincere answers to these questions.
4) Reread what you've written multiple times, so that it is in your head without having to refer to the paper.

Just my humble opinion...
I've done this for my two post .mil jobs and each time was selected. I have to wargame every conceivable question because answers don't necessarily come to me in the moment, they tend to come later after it's all over. So preparation is important for me. "Tell me about a time that you...." and if I considered it prior, I may not be able to think of a situation until later. It's just the way my memory works and my interpretation of the question at the moment.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 4 March 2018, 14:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by H60Gunner View Post
Offered a job today with the Army Corps of Engineers! Schweet! It has been a long process to get here but worth it. Improving myself, more education, interview/resume writing skills, and just staying with it. Thanks for all the advice. Most of the interview questions were technical but I did get a few BBI questions.
Congratulations!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I've done this for my two post .mil jobs and each time was selected. I have to wargame every conceivable question because answers don't necessarily come to me in the moment, they tend to come later after it's all over. So preparation is important for me. "Tell me about a time that you...." and if I considered it prior, I may not be able to think of a situation until later. It's just the way my memory works and my interpretation of the question at the moment.
Me too. I'm a big fan of prior planning and role playing (not that kind you perverts).

One of my major pet peeves is when I ask a question and people try to turn it around on me.

Me: "What's more important, the mission or the men?"
The "Well I think if you examine the situation you can find a way to take care of the employees blah blah blah..."

Just answer the question!!
Old 4 March 2018, 22:07
Been There Done That

congrats.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 5 March 2018, 00:00
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Congrats.

This is a great thread, by the way.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt

Our new posting rules