SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23 September 2018, 07:18
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 12,973
Think Reno, Clipper, and Skipjack Were Bad?

Just when you thought the respect for the IC couldn't drop below 'zero' - they come out with:

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about...nce-encryption

Now, Australia, not having a 'Bill of Rights' was probably the best one to codify that meetings minutes into a document, but the UK would have been fine too - but the meeting was there. Here's what we got (but at least they put a link at the bottom):

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/08/30/...ry-ministerial

Mr. President, are you on board with this? Or is it only when *your* shit gets intercepted?

Cory Doctorow has the best reply:

https://boingboing.net/2018/09/04/illegal-math.html

In case the message isn't clear, 'We the people' (of the world), consider you, the governments (of the world), our greatest threat to liberty - just like Washington, Jefferson, Mason, Franklin, et. al We're not afraid of anyone (well, unless you WEAKEN our encryption )

Oh for fuck's sake, illegal math...
__________________
What, you want to be part of a choir in an echo chamber? Provocate!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23 September 2018, 07:43
The Fat Guy's Avatar
The Fat Guy The Fat Guy is offline
The Sagacious One
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pushing string down the hall
Posts: 14,008
I think this is the result of the arrogance of the collective federal governments that they have developed as a result of getting what they want to fight "turism". They are getting lazy. Historically, it was a good guy bad guy counter-punch session, now they want it handed to them.

To me the 4th amendment has been trampled more than the 1st and 2nd, its just that we cannot see it via missing social media posts or ridiculous gun laws.

Yea yea, Murica and all that, but how many times do we see some shithead shoot or run over or stab someone and we hear "We have been watching them" I think its bullshit. Show me one case where they stopped a dirty bomb or any other major effort.

first its encryption, then you cannot have a better gun, or a faster car "Oh, and trust me cause "Murica, we won't misuse this against John Q Fatguy...."signed - Andy McCabe.

I have had three separate attempts from LEA's to openly violate my 4th amendment. The really upsetting part is I know this was not their first time trying it.

Some say, I have nothing to hide, so why worry. While I typically hide in plain sight in my line of work, I say, I have done nothing wrong so why look.
__________________
No one will take better care of us, than us: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23 September 2018, 14:37
MixedLoad's Avatar
MixedLoad MixedLoad is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 8,623
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
...
Some say, I have nothing to hide, so why worry.
There are few things that piss me off more than defeatism.

"Whatever...I don't care if they look at my emails."

However, when I ask if it's cool for me to hold on to their phone for a little bit and go through their text messages, since they don't mind, and there's "nothing to hide"...they clam up FAST.

People are either conditioned to believe that kind of "no worries since nothing to hide" nonsense or they're that simple minded. Either one bodes badly for our future.
__________________
“Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re"

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24 September 2018, 08:23
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 12,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
There are few things that piss me off more than defeatism.

"Whatever...I don't care if they look at my emails."

However, when I ask if it's cool for me to hold on to their phone for a little bit and go through their text messages, since they don't mind, and there's "nothing to hide"...they clam up FAST.

People are either conditioned to believe that kind of "no worries since nothing to hide" nonsense or they're that simple minded. Either one bodes badly for our future.
Yea, ask them for their address, where their kids go to school, what bank they use, how much they make or have in savings/retirement, or what sexual preferences their partner has - and watch them get very privacy conscious all of a sudden. (The phone thing is pure Gold). Privacy does not equal criminality.

It's called *Public* Servant, and *Private* Citizen, for a reason - the PC's get to know everything about the PS's, but not the other way around - blame the Anti-Federalists and that pesky Bill of Rights.
__________________
What, you want to be part of a choir in an echo chamber? Provocate!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24 September 2018, 20:08
nofear's Avatar
nofear nofear is offline
Proud wearer of a Beard.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia-based
Posts: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Now, Australia, not having a 'Bill of Rights' was probably the best one to codify that meetings minutes into a document, but the UK would have been fine too - but the meeting was there.
I find it "interesting" that the Australian site uses US spelling, not Australian/British spelling. It indicates to me that the document was written by a US agency, and shared. Not that it's a bad thing, just typical bureaucratic laziness that I've seen time and time again.

Australian LE agencies have been battling with access to private comms for years, although it is "easier" due to Australian citizens not having any rights pre-arrest.

This is a multi-Govt battle to fight the international tech firms that keep bringing out encrypted comms for public use, such as Signal, (that I know has been a target for Australian LE for years now).

I can understand Govts needing the ability to bust the encryption of bad guys, but I believe that should be achieved by LE and Int working harder, not by the public giving up their own privacy.

Working as a counter-terrorism Federal Agent, I was baffled by the agency's focus on using tech for ALL it's information gathering, to the point of forbidding Federal Agents simply going out and speaking to people.

The old methods still work...but aren't budget-increasing enough for those Agencies to support.
__________________
"Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." - Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25 September 2018, 12:42
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 12,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
I find it "interesting" that the Australian site uses US spelling, not Australian/British spelling. It indicates to me that the document was written by a US agency, and shared. Not that it's a bad thing, just typical bureaucratic laziness that I've seen time and time again.

Australian LE agencies have been battling with access to private comms for years, although it is "easier" due to Australian citizens not having any rights pre-arrest.

This is a multi-Govt battle to fight the international tech firms that keep bringing out encrypted comms for public use, such as Signal, (that I know has been a target for Australian LE for years now).

I can understand Govts needing the ability to bust the encryption of bad guys, but I believe that should be achieved by LE and Int working harder, not by the public giving up their own privacy.

Working as a counter-terrorism Federal Agent, I was baffled by the agency's focus on using tech for ALL it's information gathering, to the point of forbidding Federal Agents simply going out and speaking to people.

The old methods still work...but aren't budget-increasing enough for those Agencies to support.
They didn't ban gloves when fingerprint science came into being, nor horses/automobiles because they made handy 'get away' conveyances.

While this is most definitely about privacy, it's equally about SECURITY. If anyone thinks that you can have encryption technology that keeps *up to* state sponsored criminals out of your banking connection, or Grandma's retirement money - YET allow your govt backdor/escrowed access.... well, that person probably had a IC job on 9/11/2001 too.

I'm so done with the "we need to balance...." securicrats, Fuck them. They have proven over, and over again that they can't secure even .gov databases from massive breaches, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office...nt_data_breach

...as one of numerous examples.

On top of that, there's no terrorism to worry about anyway, never has been ("Oooooh, 9/11".....) Fuck you and your Hail Mary that only worked because of IC incompetence...20 years ago. Meanwhile, on the US "Murder Front"... 40-a-day take a dirt nap 365.

Yes governments, please secure my financial data with your back-doored/escrowed intercept-able garbage:

SkyGrabber: the $26 software used by insurgents to hack into US drones

SkyGrabber: the $26 software used by...into US drones

Quote:
...But I believe that should be achieved by LE and Int working harder,
+1,000,000 my friend
__________________
What, you want to be part of a choir in an echo chamber? Provocate!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018