Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 3 September 2017, 04:22
Confirmed User

bobmueller - A lot of the time I'm thrilled when Michigan doesn't look good. I went to PSU, and a lot of the time they give us trouble. Now I'm ALWAYS happy those times when Ohio State has a bad day.
Old 3 September 2017, 09:06
Moving Target

well FSU wasnt at all impressive . I am happy with Liberty beating Baylor though.
Old 3 September 2017, 10:12
Authorized Personnel

FSU did ok the first half but that final minute with the PI not called and subsequent blocked FG was the beginning of the end. The second half I was hoping for adjustments and improvements but the Noles fell flat. Curious to see how the rest of the season shakes out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 3 September 2017, 15:29
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

FSU had won 27 consecutive season openers in a row leading up to last nights game.

They really didn't even look like they belonged on the same field with Alabama. So much for the accuracy of polls, especially that one at the end of the season which decides which 4 teams will participate in a "playoff".
Old 3 September 2017, 15:43
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
So much for the accuracy of polls.
Pre-season polls are the most egregious, because they assume continued performance at approximately the same level despite personnel turnover (with not just players running out of eligibility but the very best players leaving early for the NFL) and the media (and thus bowl committees) take those polls as accurate until proven otherwise. One year's mediocre teams must sustain excellence halfway through the following season to get noticed at all, while teams ending a season with success get a half season's worth of benefit of the doubt regardless of slow starts. All that impacts which teams get more media coverage, which impacts revenue, which impacts bowl invitations. The result is a system in which the value of wins is arbitrarily judged on "strength of schedule" based on whether the opponent was good in the previous year, not this one. Therefore, football factory schools who finish in the middle or lower third of a major conference one year must realistically do well for several years in a row before they will get serious attention, and smaller schools outside the Power 5 Conferences who uncharacteristically have one very good season already know that will get them no love anyway. Ask Boise State about how many years they got to play bridesmaid despite going undefeated. The "playoff" really just amounts to the assemblage of four teams from major conferences most likely to generate the most revenue. The exclusion of Big 10 champion Penn State last year in lieu of money-maker OSU proved that. The system is rigged from the outset to present false hope to fans of all but about a dozen schools that theirs could go all the way as is possible in NCAA basketball.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 3 September 2017, 15:48
RIP Cass and SOTB

Kelly Bryant looked pretty good for Clemson. But, we will see how he handles an actual defense next week vs Auburn. Our defense looked pretty good too, but again, we will see next week.

Georgia looked better with Fromm than Eason. But I guess we won't know how good Fromm really is until they face actual competition.
Old 3 September 2017, 18:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
FSU had won 27 consecutive season openers in a row leading up to last nights game.
Florida had 28. Until last night.....
Old 3 September 2017, 18:10
Been There Done That

Well Spinner was Yelling for anybody but Bama last night, so goes another season of playing on the losing side, Spinner !
Old 3 September 2017, 20:27
Authorized Personnel

Well... I do agree with everyone about pre season rankings and that I do not put a lot in stock in them. Imho FSU and Bama were even the first half and if the PI was called (and it was PI) that would have put them 1st and goal pushing for an TD. Granted our special teams looked like shiate so no guarentee about an extra point.

However, if that had happened might have been a different second half. The end of the third and fourth quarters FSU was downright sloppy - execution and mental mistakes. Regardless, our season is done because our guys couldn't protect Francois who is out for the rest of the season. Cheeseballs needed to protect our QB better.

ETA: FSU busted our streak but Florida did as well but the difference is that UF always play patsies / directional schools and rarely leaves the state but we do. This time UF manned up and went to the Big House and lost but I give them props for doing so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv

Last edited by CTA; 3 September 2017 at 20:32.
Old 3 September 2017, 23:27
In From The East

And the Black Diamond stays in Ol Virginia..... Go Hokies!
Old 3 September 2017, 23:36
Moving Target

That was exciting game to watch. both sides of my family roots are in WVa but my parents moved to Virgina in the early 60's before I was born so Im a tech fun but WVa is my number two team. I think Techs QB did a great job considering it was his first college football game. I think both teams will have a good year.
Old 4 September 2017, 00:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
And the Black Diamond stays in Ol Virginia..... Go Hokies!

As a WVU fan I'm used to disappointment.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 4 September 2017, 02:45
Confirmed User

The Texas A&M and UCLA game was one for the books. The 4th quarter was unbelievable. UCLA will go up in the polls for sure, thanks to QB Rosen.
Old 4 September 2017, 07:28
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
As a WVU fan I'm used to disappointment.
Welcome to the club.

Says the NC State fan...
Old 4 September 2017, 07:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Welcome to the club.

Says the NC State fan...
...and the UVA fan.
Old 4 September 2017, 07:41
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
...and the UVA fan.
Fixed it for you... :D
Old 4 September 2017, 07:42
Authorized Personnel

Like FC13 I have WV roots, but live in VA Tech territory. Glad to see this game back on the schedule and competitive.

Does UVa still have a football team?
Old 4 September 2017, 07:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
That was exciting game to watch. both sides of my family roots are in WVa but my parents moved to Virgina in the early 60's before I was born so Im a tech fun but WVa is my number two team. I think Techs QB did a great job considering it was his first college football game. I think both teams will have a good year.
That was a great game. I didn't really care who won, so I was able to just enjoy it for the love of the game. Since I was watching this game, I missed the epic UCLA comeback.

I don't know what to expect out of the Vols tonight. A starting LB is out for the year and last year's QB moved on to the NFL. They have two guys they're going to rotate. I've never been a big fan of that so hopefully someone will quickly take the job.
Old 4 September 2017, 08:16
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Like FC13 I have WV roots, but live in VA Tech territory. Glad to see this game back on the schedule and competitive.

Does UVa still have a football team?
Errrr....Ouch!
Old 4 September 2017, 11:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Fixed it for you... :D
I forgot...fucker.

Our new posting rules